Time to Show YOUR GOODIES!

Adrean

I'm with Dennis on this one.

"mattyt12" - where did you get those? 3D Warehouse? Would you mind sharing? I have an upscale mountain home in the works that those would look great in front of.

Thanks, Mike

Not a problem, cant remember what model the bmw was, too long ago but the merc:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=uc0689cdb-11ee-4c6a-882d-e234b4d0a394

The calibz files and material settings are here though

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6a7epsfqzprnw9d/AAA6be0l2oWSY_iju7gssT0Za?dl=0

Thanks, mattyt12. They look great. When I downloaded them some of the textures didn't make it. Both cars are white so I guess it was the exterior paint color. Also, on the BMW, the rear tag shows about 48" above the bumper; the texture for the tag didn't make it either. Not complaining - I appreciate the effort.

Thanks, Mike

Here is a hint. The exact same car with the colors of the sky and concrete reversed:

Car-1_zpsij0dudj4.png

So what color is the car? That’s kind of hard to pin down. Let me try to explain how

I arrived at the result in the OP. I started out to see if I could get one of the vehicles

from the Library Browser to display more realistically in a ray trace. My idea was to

place the library symbol on a piece of generic road and see if I could get the road

stripes to reflect off of the rocker panels. To do this I obviously needed a more

reflective surface than the OOB default supplied by Chief. Chief classifies the Material

for the Body Color as a “General Material” and as such you can manipulate several

characteristics but not specifically reflectivity. This got me thinking about what type of

material would be more reflective and since I was working on a metal car with a shiny

paint job I brilliantly deduced that what I needed was a “shiny metal” material. Well

imagine my surprise when I opened the Material Class menu and, bingo, one of the

choices was “Shiny Metal”.  :)  It turns out that one of the characteristics you can

control with this class of material is “Reflection” although this can only be done in ray

trace views. There is a sliding bar where you can adjust the amount of reflection form

0% to 100% and there is a corresponding color swatch which varies from black to white.

Armed with this new material I set out to try a few test RT’s. Since I wanted a highly

reflective surface I set “Reflection” to 75% and ran a test run.

So here is the first answer to the question. The car I had displayed in the “Perspective

Full Overview” camera view I was using for the ray trace was bright red but it turned out

that didn’t matter. As the ray trace came into view I was puzzled but pleasantly surprised

that the car looked really shiny but it was not red but rather had the blue and gray tones

from the surrounding background and sky. Thinking I must have somehow altered the

color I went back and opened the material for the car body but it was still bright red. I did

a second ray trace and got the same results I had with the first one. Since it was obvious

that something was overriding the car’s material color I tried clicking on the color swatch

beside the Reflection slider and it opened the Color Selector dbx from whence I was able

to change the car’s color.

Anyhow, this is what I’ve learned. If you don’t supply a color and use the default black to

white values on the Reflection slider you essentially get a clear reflective surface not unlike

a chrome surface or a mirror as Jonathan predicted. Everything above the equator bulge

of the car reflects the values of the sky and everything below the equator bulge reflect the

ground colors. If you supply your own color you will then get a reflective colored surface.

So what color is the car? It’s red, but it isn’t. It’s no color or any color. It’s basically like a

chameleon; it takes on the color of its surroundings. Hope this isn't TMI.

Car-Multiple_zpsj5tlfwqe.png

Top row: How cars display in Standard View

Middle row: How cars display using default "Shiny Metal" color settings in ray trace

Bottom row: How cars display adding color to "Shiny Metal" settings in ray trace

• 3 weeks later...

Here are a few elevations I've done over the past couple of months. I haven't posted on here lately because I honestly forgot this thread existed. There is a group on Facebook some of the users share their renderings on. Here is the linkhttps://www.facebook.com/groups/UsersofChiefArchitect/ Check it out! There are quite a few users who have joined. 

post-58-0-37754000-1446961007_thumb.jpg

post-58-0-33253900-1446961008_thumb.jpg

post-58-0-38177900-1446961009_thumb.jpg

post-58-0-85212300-1446961009_thumb.jpg

post-58-0-53458100-1446961036_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Rich,

It's no more than you would get off of a lower sloped roof.  The speed is faster at the eave line (ground level) so gutters are not effective.  But if you had a roof on a 2 story building without gutters, you would get the same effect - it's just the law of gravity. 

On this Thanksgiving, I'm thankful for Scott Harris' Kiosk video in the SSA video library that instructed me on properly modeling a multi-tiered roof.  Attached is a ten-plane pentagonal "onion" roof.  And folks wonder about the value of SSA.

jon

post-52-0-73451500-1448661807_thumb.jpg

No, it's one of my Spiral Stair Symbols.  It's made up of components that I have.  Let me know if you need a custom Spiral Stair.  I'll quote you a price.

Thanks Joe, I've been able to use CA stairs so far. Mine have all been outdoor or patio stair so metal has been fine.

If interior it should be a fancy stair.

On this Thanksgiving, I'm thankful for Scott Harris' Kiosk video in the SSA video library that instructed me on properly modeling a multi-tiered roof.  Attached is a ten-plane pentagonal "onion" roof.  And folks wonder about the value of SSA.

jon

You too had been hijacked.