Time to Show YOUR GOODIES!

Adrean

My favorite thing to do in CA--landscaping.  Modeled and ray traced in CA X7.  Post using Alien Skin Exposure 7 and Photoshop CC 2015.

jon

Jon, it's nice. We always complain about Chief's terrain tools, but one should try Revit to see how terrible the landscaping tools could be.

Very nice John, you are ready for Hollywood and the "Special Effects" division of the film industry. 99% of anyone that looks at that photo will have no idea it was computer generated. Many on this thread are proving it can all be done with CA.

Jon, it's nice. We always complain about Chief's terrain tools, but one should try Revit to see how terrible the landscaping tools could be.

Thanks Oz!  I do like to complain about CA terrain tools, and I agree Revit is worse yet, and that's why I do most of my terrain work in SketchUp.  However, on this project, I imported GPS points directly into Chief, then simplified the terrain with four elevation lines and two elevation regions (deleting the points when the moons of Saturn aligned and all was right with the model).

It worked well.  All without the need for third-party toolset intervention.

jon

Shane, Dennis, Curt;  Thanks.

Curt, you know I thought the exact same thing--a couple tufts of grass where the weed wacker missed.  Too lazy on my part.

Does anybody have a 3D Sea Oats model or know where I can get/buy one (like what pkegles uses in his Lumion shots)?

jon

For new clients I typically take a retainer to start, but for clients i've done a lot of work for they can call me up and ask me to do something like this so they can get the process started.  Its not "free" but I feel my being easy to get going in a project helps me land a lot of work.  I try to make myself almost an extension of their back-office.

Concept work, and that process, is very important to me.

Dennis I often get work with the same method. Last fall a business friend gave me a hand scratched floor plan of a 14,000 sq ft addition and asked what could be done with roofs. 2 hrs later I had design work contract and 2 weeks later I signed contract to build it. Adding another 8,000 sq ft starting next week.

Dennis I often get work with the same method. Last fall a business friend gave me a hand scratched floor plan of a 14,000 sq ft addition and asked what could be done with roofs. 2 hrs later I had design work contract and 2 weeks later I signed contract to build it. Adding another 8,000 sq ft starting next week.

Exactly.  Its almost a cost of marketing in some ways.  I'll say again you can't do that for everyone or you will get burned, but clients you know are bona-fide.