Time to Show YOUR GOODIES!

Adrean

• 2 weeks later...

Spent this Saturday building this bath. Exported to 3DSmax extremely well. Converted some of the materials to mental ray. Didn't touch the glass blocks. It imported as it is and I just hit render. Had to add in all of the lights. And final adjustments in photoshop.

Bath-Render-02-Final.jpg

@GLS, what was your work flow for getting the line drawing over the raytrace. I tried a pass by doing a photoshop layer with transparency but it is not quite right.

attachicon.gifOVERLAY 1 copy.jpg

Sure. I did a multiple pass raytrace in chief architect. I then did a Line Drawing in the same view and exported both images as tiff. Open both images in photoshop. While in the Line Drawing image go to Select>All. Then Edit>Copy.

Then go to your raytraced image. Edit>Paste. Photoshop creates another layer stack above the existing layer. With the new layer selected in the layer window there's a dropdown menu that has a default of "Normal." Change this to "Overlay." 

Photoshop.jpg

That is some good stuff Jon.  It would be great if you would teach a workshop explaining your methods using GTM .

You know what, if anybody out there would like to share how they do this kind of stuff,  I would be more than happy to host a workshop.

Some really nice stuff Jon,  thanks.

Thanks all.

As for technique: layers, textures, and blurs with Photoshop and associated plugins.

But, it all comes down to source materials, and this uses a non-photon ray trace at screen resolution, and 72dpi. (Not suitable for quality print)  And, CAX6 line art of the same camera as the ray trace.  The same basic Overlay technique explained earlier by someone whose name I forget.  I just soup it up by adding blended layers of fills, vignettes, blurs, and textures.

jon

Thanks all.

As for technique: layers, textures, and blurs with Photoshop and associated plugins.

But, it all comes down to source materials, and this uses a non-photon ray trace at screen resolution, and 72dpi. (Not suitable for quality print)  And, CAX6 line art of the same camera as the ray trace.  The same basic Overlay technique explained earlier by someone whose name I forget.  I just soup it up by adding blended layers of fills, vignettes, blurs, and textures.

jon

Irfanview can do this overlays, vignette etc...I use it when I don't want to use Photoshop. It can combine all 3 rendering techniques. :)

Scott:

I would love to attend a GTM on this subject if you ever host one.  Maybe you could coerce Jintu into demonstrating/discussing some of his techniques.  He has posted some fantastic stuff on ChiefTalk and I have saved many of his posts so I can drool on them once in awhile.  He's also provided great advice on settings to use, etc.  Not sure what time Jintu's kicking around vs. when we all are kicking around here in the states, but I would adjust my hours to attend such a meeting.  What do ya think Jintu?  An hour or so of your time would be great for us who struggle producing good raytraces IMO!  Maybe there'd be time for others to show what they do as well. 

If this happens, I just hope I don't miss the announcement and can make the meeting.  Scott:  Just don't schedule it between Dec. 11th and Dec. 23rd .... promise!  I am going to be traveling and/or on a big boat south of your location and enjoying some sunshine and warmth (I hope).

.....If this happens, I just hope I don't miss the announcement and can make the meeting.  Scott:  Just don't schedule it between Dec. 11th and Dec. 23rd .... promise!  I am going to be traveling and/or on a big boat south of your location and enjoying some sunshine and warmth (I hope).

Promise,  will not host unless you are around.......  hey where are you going?  Mexico?  If you stop off in San Diego let me know and I will show you around.

I would love to attend such an online meeting.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but two different things being talked about here. First is Jon's technique of using Photoshop or another similar program (post production) to layer in the RT's, line drawings from CA then using other PS layers and tools to add artistic flare. The other is simply RT's within CA that Jintu and a few others are really masters at.

Kieth:

I was thinking of any techniques/settings/etc. for creating quality presentation images using Chief's ray tracer along with any other photo editing programs that other users use.  I am not thinking that Thea would be included in such a meeting but ... if popular demand is to include Thea, I would still want to attend ... but my primary interest would be using Chief and other not so expensive photo editing programs.  That's just me ... where I am at.  I won't be shucking out any big $'s for other software anytime soon.

Scott:

Yes ... cruise to Mexico from LA - I won it while attending the IBS earlier this year - I think that nice hat I got from Joe C. at the KBIS is what brought me the good luck [actually, I think everyone who entered was a winner, but they never tell you that] ... I don't even know all the details - Carol is taking care of that.  If you have your yacht out in the Pacific when we go by on the 14th or the 21st, I will wave at you! :D  Maybe I could throw an extra life jacket to you just before the wake hits your boat!  If I hear any screams, I'll call 911 for you. :)

I use a PS Lite program that is more than enough for my needs and far less $$ than the full blown version. Has everything I need but I do very little post production tweaks in PS as it makes little difference in what I do. That being said, I still crave the knowledge of how people are doing what they do. Jon's post as an example

Irfanview can do this overlays, vignette etc...I use it when I don't want to use Photoshop. It can combine all 3 rendering techniques. :)

I tend to go with PhotoScape, http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/index.php, or what the P-man suggested in FotoSketcher if I'm after quick and dirty.  The big limitations on both are quality and lack of layers.

jon