Time to Show YOUR GOODIES!

Adrean

Jeff, That is great.  I am hoping that @Adrean is following along with us here, and if you did upload to the Chief Viewer for testing purposes, then maybe you could also provide that link for comparison purposes in the hope that Chief will eventually catch up to this quality of rendering in High Definition without distortion.  Thanks Again. Great Work.

• Upvote 1

Here are some non-360 pano shots of the same room using the same Physically Based Rendering settings as above.  They are saved at 3000 x 1534 at 600 dpi as a .png file just using the export command.  When I did a raytrace on these before, it took about 8 hours to get about 15 passes due to the details and lights.  These took about 90 seconds to save.  Huge time savings, especially if you want to show clients a few different options quickly.    

5a77f0402854f_Office7.thumb.png.fbead19c6e95ff9672d95272679c948b.png  5a77f04f6218e_Office8.thumb.png.07ed1baf593a8eefe35bc35622b88e0c.png

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Designers_Ink said:

Here are some non-360 pano shots of the same room using the same Physically Based Rendering settings as above.  They are saved at 3000 x 1534 at 600 dpi as a .png file just using the export command.  When I did a raytrace on these before, it took about 8 hours to get about 15 passes due to the details and lights.  These took about 90 seconds to save.  Huge time savings, especially if you want to show clients a few different options quickly.    

5a77f0402854f_Office7.thumb.png.fbead19c6e95ff9672d95272679c948b.png  5a77f04f6218e_Office8.thumb.png.07ed1baf593a8eefe35bc35622b88e0c.png

Well, I can honestly say your work is the first  living proof “I have seen” that in the right hands quality results are achievable in Chief X10. Not that others have not shown us some good stuff, you Sir, have backed up your work up with “How it is done in the real world” example of what X10 can produce. 

This harkens back to a thread I started over a year ago (will send you the link) where “Chief Only” RT work could be shared so the “Rest of Us” could learn how to master RT without the aide of third party post production. The intent, which never took root, was for user to produce simple yet thorough video of their process. Showcasing ones work is nothing more than grandstanding but to share your fndngs shows the mark of a true gentlemen and professional. 

Absolutely stunning work. Thank you for sharing,

On 11/17/2017 at 4:25 AM, Rich_Winsor said:

Who says that you can't achieve "photo quality" Ray Traces with Chief?

I would be willing to wager that the creator's of Chief never imagined that

this image would be generated with their software. B)

UFO_zpsw6quspsf.png

Rick,

This is the best example of RT ever...amazing results produced completely inside of Chief...I gave you thumbs up for this one too.

I just posted to DesignerInk’s beautiful work and step to reproduce. Would you do the same for with your image? Again, absolutely stunning.

Thanks for sharing,

7 hours ago, Designers_Ink said:

Very nicely done! Please keep posting your PBR results so we can see the potential of this new feature. I've been on the fence about this feature but your example will most likely encourage me to revisit the PBR camera and explore it more. One thing about PBRing I'm not so pleased about is how it handles objects with Glass such as in light fixtures, the glass comes out flat looking and lackluster. Hopefully CA will address this or someone will find another material property setting that will do a better job.

Thanks for sharing.

8 hours ago, Designers_Ink said:

Very well done!

9 hours ago, Designers_Ink said:

They are saved at 3000 x 1534 at 600 dpi as a .png file just using the export command.  When I did a raytrace on these before, it took about 8 hours to get about 15 passes due to the details and lights.

Just a note concerning your Ray Trace time. Here is an example of a Ray Trace I just ran, it has about 30 active lights and the size is 3000 X 1565. 15 passes took 11 minutes.

5a7874633b85e_Untitled13000X1565.thumb.png.56551e75edfb8442d26d5dcbbea13a2b.png

I believe there must be something about your lighting or Ray Trace settings that is resulting in such long Ray Trace times.

Here is the same scene Ray Traced at my usual 1200 X 626. It took only 2 minutes for 15 passes.

5a7876a4891b7_Untitled11200X626.thumb.jpg.4a1c2a1956f29e464071c56e9e4fc178.jpg

17 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Just a note concerning your Ray Trace time. Here is an example of a Ray Trace I just ran, it has about 30 active lights and the size is 3000 X 1565. 15 passes took 11 minutes.

5a7874633b85e_Untitled13000X1565.thumb.png.56551e75edfb8442d26d5dcbbea13a2b.png

I believe there must be something about your lighting or Ray Trace settings that is resulting in such long Ray Trace times.

Here is the same scene Ray Traced at my usual 1200 X 626. It took only 2 minutes for 15 passes.

5a7876a4891b7_Untitled11200X626.thumb.jpg.4a1c2a1956f29e464071c56e9e4fc178.jpg

Could maybe post your light settings for the lights and overall ray trace settings ? In my case I tend to you many furniture pieces from sketchup and realize the polygon count slows down the ray trace. So if you find the time let us all know your settings for such a nicely lit up scene.

17 minutes ago, limitless8 said:

Could maybe post your light settings for the lights and overall ray trace settings ? In my case I tend to you many furniture pieces from sketchup and realize the polygon count slows down the ray trace. So if you find the time let us all know your settings for such a nicely lit up scene.

Just heading out the door but will post my settings later this afternoon. However, there is nothing special in here, they are just standard pot (spot) lights. Everything in this scene is CA, it's the Grandview sample plan, just happen to be playing with it for some other things.

Here are some renderings I did for a developer who is rehabbing a property in Los Angeles. Everything was drawn and rendered in X9 and with the exception of a few minor items, all icons came from the Chief library.

4000 Woking Way-Birds-Eye SW + neighborhood 4.jpg

4000 Woking Way-SW Pool Area ground level view-neighboorhood.jpg

• Upvote 1

Just out of interest I took the same scene and ran it through the PBR. Nothing was changed other than the Camera Exposure and Brightness in the PBR DBX. Interesting to note that the PBR interpreted the lights and shadows differently as well as many of the materials. You may also notice that the PBR did not render the under-cabinet lighting at all. Also note the differences in the glass elements, especially the glass flower vases. What's likely most important here is that when setting your lights and materials you will probably need to decide at the very beginning as to which rendering method you are going to use. For myself this is a bit disconcerting as I was hoping that the PBR could be used in support of Ray Trace by providing one with a better insight as to how lights and materials would look prior to Ray Tracing. At this time that does not appear to be the case, it's one or the other.

PBR Version

5a78d7a37030c_Untitled13000X1565PBR.thumb.jpg.b427b7fc1dea872b9928c421eb55128c.jpg

Ray Trace Version

5a78d7bf140cd_Untitled13000X1565.thumb.png.ec56e68b2e241fef65444e6ecbc9a26d.png

Interesting insights, never tried pbr. As for the settings thank you, I swear sometimes I use the same settings but chief gives me different results.

Hell once I was finishing a house and when I got to the last room, the kids room, every ray trace I ran was filled with dots and black even.though all.settings remained the same and only chief objects were in the room. Out of curiosity ran new ray traces of other rooms and all was well but the kids room was black and spot filled....checked everything over.and over nothing helped. 

5 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Some may find this to be of interest. Both the Ray Trace and PBR have their pro's and con's. I have done this a few time which is to blend the two together. In this sample the PBR version is placed overtop of the Ray Trace version with it's opacity 25%.

Ray Trace PBR Blend

5a78dc2bc2493_Untitled13000X1565RayandPBR.thumb.png.a8bbefa5a079186db615824ca5835506.png

Nice Graham , all we need to do now is convince CA to give use that Mode :) 

I am still seeing ALOT of black in PBR views and have given up on it at the moment, though others seem to produce some nice Images , I have not tried the Grandview Plan though.

M.

22 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Nice Graham , all we need to do now is convince CA to give use that Mode :) 

I am still seeing ALOT of black in PBR views and have given up on it at the moment, though others seem to produce some nice Images , I have not tried the Grandview Plan though.

M.

It would be great if “those seeing success” would share their setup or if Chief would chime in with why your results are what they and others have no issues, we might all move beyond this “Easter Egg hunt”. I get trial and error makes for a better understanding of the program and Concepts but REALLY! Enough is enough already. Is it what companies want their customers to do and go through? I certainly hope not! Some folks are blessed with the talent to figure all this out, and more power to them! No one should ya e to be a slave to their tools but that sure seems to be what is happening here.

On 2/6/2018 at 1:36 AM, TheKitchenAbode said:

Some may find this to be of interest. Both the Ray Trace and PBR have their pro's and con's. I have done this a few time which is to blend the two together. In this sample the PBR version is placed overtop of the Ray Trace version with it's opacity 25%.

Ray Trace PBR Blend

5a78dc2bc2493_Untitled13000X1565RayandPBR.thumb.png.a8bbefa5a079186db615824ca5835506.png

Thanks again for your input, I am sure every user here appreciates the time you put in to help others and give advice!

After having gone through the thread a few more times, and played around with lighting/ray trace settings/ and the whole shabang, decided to share two results I got yesterday over night of an apartment kitchen.

bas18.png

bas21-2.png

Since "blends" showed up, here is PBR with a line drawing on top, stacked them in Bluebeam and exported. And the original PDB.

For some reason I've been undable to make that work again with the Z images.... have no idea what is. I showed the PBR with line on top to CA in Orlando -who knows if that arrives.

The second set shows the undercabinet lights (these are Graham's lights but I may have adjusted something), and through one more in for luck. All are from X9 plans of jobs this last year. The first (T) and last (Z) were done pre-public beta, middle one was in the current release. All have extra light sources placed in them-dragged to be directional and almost all pointing up at some angle. None of these have updated materials. I know I had to reduce the reflection of the floor in T and maybe did that in Z, ceiling in Green is also matte. Green was the most challenging, there are lights inside the glass cabinets and a couple to show the ceiling beams.

Follows are the settings  Note that P settings are for T (don't ask) Z settings are for the Z images. I'd expect the settings will change with final release so wouldn't get too excited about those. What I'm finding is the rest of the lighting, makes big difference as does the backdrop and moving a camera more than about 110 degrees requires changes.

You may or may not know that I've never posted (AFAIR) to this thead IOW you really don't want to see my RT's.

T PBR w JPG line.jpg

Zep pbr.png

T_kit 2.png

Green Chamo 4.png

P rend tech option.png

P sun.png

P lights.png

Z rendering tech options.png

Z sun.png

Z lights.png

Z camera.png

4 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Use all appropriate effects for the best result.

Also, right-click mouse to frame your scenes :) 

zzz.jpg

Stunning, Jintu. 

Also, appreciate the tips. I’m still learning the software so I’ll take all the help I can get. Expect a few messages from me in the very near future :lol: