Time to Show YOUR GOODIES!

Adrean

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a couple images of the way I am currently presenting sketchy renderings.

I export a "Standard" view and a "Line Drawing" from the same camera position and at the same size.  I open the standard view in Gimp then add import the Line drawing as an  layer and adjust the transparency.

Stair Boxes From Kitchen.jpg

Bunks V2_Straight Wall.jpg

Bench Renderng 1.jpg

Just now, kMoquin said:

Here are a couple images of the way I am currently presenting sketchy renderings.

I export a "Standard" view and a "Line Drawing" from the same camera position and at the same size.  I open the standard view in Gimp then add import the Line drawing as an  layer and adjust the transparency.

Stair Boxes From Kitchen.jpg

bench standard.jpg

Bunks V2_Straight Wall.jpg

Nice Watercolor w/ Line drawing effect.

We don't have that fine lineweight in X9 anymore.

10 minutes ago, kMoquin said:

Jintu, This was done in X-9. (Looks like I need to update my signature.)

I've noticed the line-weight in the exported seems to be a function of both Chief settings and monitor resolution.

I can't get that fine line in X9. see attached.

x8

zlinex8.thumb.jpg.47cd44cf5b442adb3133d4f07f895420.jpg

x9

zlinex9.thumb.jpg.f0bd54e74781dd9b74b23cbe3f28adc8.jpg

2 hours ago, Chiefer said:

I can't get that fine line in X9. see attached.

It seems like X8 had a broken line style that appears finer but is inconsistent.  Try changing the line color in X9 to gray to achieve similar results as Kevin's examples.

5 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

It seems like X8 had a broken line style that appears finer but is inconsistent.  Try changing the line color in X9 to gray to achieve similar results as Kevin's examples.

It is was fine as the lines in Sketchup... I've reported this during Beta to no avail. Try to open an old plan in X8, you'll see.

5 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Try to open an old plan in X8, you'll see.

Yes I carefully examined your X8 and X9 images and then opened my own in X8 and X9 and got the same results.  It appears to me the line weight of 1 in X8 brakes up in certain areas and fails to generate entirely in other areas.  Is that the artistic effect you were wanting to keep because I can see why chief tried to fix it as I am thinking they wanted a clean continuous cad line and ended up making it thicker to achieve that.  I increased the line weight in X8 and that still does not seem to produce the results seen in X9 so it was a fundamental change that they made.  I agree that a fine high contrast line is something worth pursuing so it might be worth another try for X10.

6 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

is that the artistic effect you were wanting to keep

No, it's not. We had a really good line before. Even before X8,

Thanks for the insight.

PS. I found a way to make the lines thinner, I'm saving views in much higher resolution then resizing them to the intended resolution.

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Dennis_Gavin said:

Very nice Rene!  Is the final result all Chief or Chief plus post processing?

Chief to replicate the building

Thea for rendering layers

Photoshop to compile layers

Procreate for touchups

and thank you!

and Thanks Graham and ACAD

35 minutes ago, ericepv said:

Here's a bedroom project I recently finished. While I did bring in a few objects from outside (bed, tv & some of the accessories), everything was modeled and rendered in Chief.

Bedroom-Modern 3 RT.JPG

Nicely done!!! There's a quality to this that I have yet to see out of the CA Ray Trace engine. Just two questions, how many passes and how much time did this take to render?

24 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Nicely done!!! There's a quality to this that I have yet to see out of the CA Ray Trace engine. Just two questions, how many passes and how much time did this take to render?

Thanks, I appreciate your comment. I did 30 passes although I probably could have gotten away with less; I believe it took about 90 minutes to run. I've found that the key to getting a great looking ray-trace is to keep the ambient light to a minimum (zero if possible), make use of additional lighting and also get to know how to use all the features on the lighting tab. It takes alot of experimentation but once you have learned the proper use of all the features Chief offers (and I'm always learning), the results can be just as good as anything from Blender or 3DS Max. Also, get to know bump maps and how to use them, they add alot of realism to the textures.

15 hours ago, ericepv said:

Thanks, I appreciate your comment. I did 30 passes although I probably could have gotten away with less; I believe it took about 90 minutes to run. I've found that the key to getting a great looking ray-trace is to keep the ambient light to a minimum (zero if possible), make use of additional lighting and also get to know how to use all the features on the lighting tab. It takes alot of experimentation but once you have learned the proper use of all the features Chief offers (and I'm always learning), the results can be just as good as anything from Blender or 3DS Max. Also, get to know bump maps and how to use them, they add alot of realism to the textures.

I fully agree, there are many possible setting combinations and it takes considerable effort to work through them.  There is the added complexity concerning the dependency of how a material appears according to the level and type of light it is exposed to. Then there's the more global like settings such as photon mapping, ambient occlusion, environment light and the image adjustment properties. Just to make it even more challenging there are those irritants such as light bleed and speckles(fireflies) that can rear their ugly side under certain circumstances.

Despite all of this I agree that the Ray Trace engine can produce some good results as your latest scene demonstrates, especially after only 30 passes in 90 or less minutes.