speed up if 3rd party models turned off?

Lighthouse

I use X10.  I have a plan that runs very slow.  I downloaded the LakePoint plan and it runs considerably faster.  I'm wondering if my use of third party models for furniture, etc is slowing it down.  The problem is I will have to find and examine each one to find the culprit.  Before I do that I have a basic question-  If a layer is turned off, can it still slow down the generation of camera views?  For example, let's say there is a large 3rd party furniture model in the plan.  If I have furniture turned off in display settings, could it still slow down the camera view?  Or should it only slow it down if the layer is turned on.  I ask because turning off layers does not seem to be improving performance.  I also wonder whether having polyline solids affects performance.  And does anyone know whether a poorly constructed model slows things down?  For example, if walls are not aligned, or roofs not perfectly joined?

Also, are there benchmarks of how long it takes to generate views of LakePoint?  It's taking me 11 seconds for a perspective overview, 3 seconds for floor overview, 8 seconds for a section.  On my slow personal plan, taking more like 30 seconds for an overview, etc.

I just tried that plan and if the display layers are turned off the camera renders much faster. The thing is, is that the cameras have their own display layer sets so you must make sure that you are turning things off in that specific layer set.

Likely you have some things in there with a lot of surfaces. CA starts to show some lag when the surface count starts getting over 1 million or so. That base plan has about 1.2 million surfaces. When you open a camera watch along the bottom center of the screen, it will display the surface count, see if it is way high. One or more of your downloaded models may be the culprit.

If I open a fresh std view camera in that plan it takes about 6 seconds for the view to generate.

• Upvote 1

Hi Graham,

thanks for the reply.  I did a camera view from the corner of the living room in the Lake Point plan (see attached).  It took 26 seconds to generate.  Is this the view that you said took 6 seconds for you?  If so, there must be something  wrong with my computer.  It says it is only using like 5% of CPU and 20% of memory.  Any thoughts?

Capture.JPG

Your signature isn't accurate , it that the hardware you are still on?

I shot the view above and like Graham it was about 6 secs...but my hardware is a generation ahead of yours as I think is Grahams', I went from a 970 to a 1070ti earlier this year after noticing slow down due to the new RCS Shadows in X10 ( I believe) but it was not a WOW what an improvement or noticeable speed improvement really.

Are you sure Chief is using the GTX 970? and not the intergrated GFX Card?  is CA assigned the 970 for OpenGL and set to maximum Power in Nvidia Control Panel?

Kbird1, thanks for the reply.  I've attached a couple screenshots-  One shows that the system is using the 970 card.  The next 2 are shots of the Nvidia settings (the dbx had a scrollbar, so I couldn't show all the settings in one screenshot.   I don't know what most of these options mean, are there any that you would change?

Here's the other strange thing- when I went to generate the same view today, it went much faster.  But when I go into taskmanager, the same background processes are running, etc.  I did the speed test with all other programs except Chief turned off to control that variable.  I can't figure out why performance would vary.  I assume Chief caches some info so that subsequent views load faster?  But in each case I started the program fresh to generate the view.  But I often notice as I'm working that the programs slows down, even when I have nothing new running.  I'm also careful to close tabs, etc.  I wonder if there is some defect in the program or my PC (memory leak, or something), that causes it to slow down as it is used.

video.JPG

nvidia1.JPG

nvidia2.JPG

Under Chief Arch. change Power to Max. Perf. and  choose the OpenGL Card as the 970 , not autoselect.

Under Global set power to Adaptive , not Optimal.

If it is a desktop with the i7 iGFX Card make sure the Preferred Card is set to the 970 , so it uses it all the time too.

**you may not have that option depending on the MB and if it auto-disables the iGFX  card if a discrete GFX  card like the 970 is plugged in.

Mick, thanks very much for the specific setting info- very helpful!  However, when I made the changes it runs much slower!!!  Actually, can barely even create a view.  Also, strangely, it takes a really long time to close a view window, which used to be instantaneous.  It almost feels like it's trying to save the view before closing it.  Attached is a pic of task manager- it doesn't appear to be using much memory or cpu, but program is barely functioning.5bccec881ae74_taskmgr.thumb.JPG.f4b87825bfce8435994f3d0a37fcea43.JPG

The attached pic shows CA-X10 has Crashed.......... ( not responding in red)

Reboot and check settings again in NV-CP.....  DON'T change settings while anything 3D is running.

I am guessing your tried running 3D Views without opening and close Chief after making changes in NV-CP?

What driver version are you on for the 970?

so Chief was not actually crashed-  I notice Task Manager that when CA is " thinking" (generating a view,etc), it shows it as "not responding" but when the view is generated, that "not responding" goes away.    I had CA closed when I made the changes, and restarted the PC after making the changes and verified that the settings had held, and did not revert to the previous settings.   The driver date is 6-1-18.  the version is 24.21.13.9811

Just now, Lighthouse said:

so Chief was not actually crashed-  I notice Task Manager that when CA is " thinking" (generating a view,etc), it shows it as "not responding" but when the view is generated, that "not responding" goes away.    I had CA closed when I made the changes, and restarted the PC after making the changes and verified that the settings had held, and did not revert to the previous settings.   The driver date is 6-1-18.  the version is 24.21.13.9811

The "not responding" in the task manger usually means that the running program is waiting for something to be returned to it and it has not received it within a reasonable amount of time. Sometimes this goes on forever and you need to "end Task" and restart.

yes, I periodically have to "end task".  Can you think of any reason that changing those settings would actually make the program run slower?   I noticed that it seemed to take longer for the plan to load, and longer for it to create a view.  I can always tell when the plan is slow as there is a very slight lag from when I move the mouse to when the cursor moves, which makes it very hard to do careful work in any view.

The Driver ( 398.11) isn't that old but you could try the last of the 300 Series ...399. 24 which is what I am using..... I have seen a few issues reported on other forums with the newer 400 Series Drivers which is why I am still on 399.24

https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/137727

Lets see your NV-CP setting again after you update the drivers and reset them.....something doesn't sound right , definitely should not be slower.... maybe not a whole lot faster either but not slower....

Those changes should not have caused any issues. I notice that your signature states Windows 8. If that's what you are running you should update to Windows 10. Windows 8 is a bit of a lost sole sitting between Windows 7 and Windows 10. Could cause issues with newer drivers as most developers consider Windows 8 as history and they may not be doing much to ensure compatibility with it.

On 10/20/2018 at 11:24 PM, Lighthouse said:

Hi Graham,

thanks for the reply.  I did a camera view from the corner of the living room in the Lake Point plan (see attached).  It took 26 seconds to generate.  Is this the view that you said took 6 seconds for you?  If so, there must be something  wrong with my computer.  It says it is only using like 5% of CPU and 20% of memory.  Any thoughts?

Capture.JPG

I've got a 980m so similar.

For that view I get-11.5 sec first time, 5.8 sec after that or any other view after that, 5.4 sec full overview, 7 sec backclipped section.

I tracked usage with CPU HWmonitor, reset after each view. I show much higher CPU usage than you indicate. I hit 94% first view, drops to overall 62% after but one core hitting 93. The other views are less but always between 30 and 76 overall.

GPU usage is not as siginificant- 3d views hit 33%, overview hits 45 while section is only about 10%. Memory and disc usage are minimal.

Attached my NV settings and the windows performance settings. Driver is 389.4

Hope this helps, maybe call support.

NV settings.png