activation and deactivation

EconBlueprints

I use Chief on my desktop, but want to use it on my laptop as well when I am in the field.  I have a single license, but I understand I can use the single license on multiple machines provided only one machine is active at any given time.
So, the other day when I was out to do an as built with my laptop, I tried to open Chief on the laptop and the message came up I had to deactivate the license on my other computer.  No problem, except my other computer was about twenty miles away at the time.
So, I logged into my account and tried to find where I could deactivate the one and activate the other, but it seems I have to deactivate the first computer while logged into that computer, which means I need to remember to do that before I leave the house.  
Given that sometimes I would forget to do that is there any way to change the active computer remotely?

Thanks,
Lane

Never had that problem with activating deactivating. The message that pops up telling you the need to deactivate your other license has a link to your login. Just go there and deactivate your other computer and then go back and activate on the new one. You don't activate through the CA site, you just deactivate. When you load CA on your laptop it will check again to make sure no other system is activated and then it will go directly into CA.

4 hours ago, EconBlueprints said:

So, I logged into my account and tried to find where I could deactivate the one and activate the other, but it seems I have to deactivate the first computer while logged into that computer, which means I need to remember to do that before I leave the house.  

no need to be home but go ahead and try it at home 1st ...works for me....

Open CA on the laptop and click the link in the popup saying it needs activation , you should end up on a webpage showing your Current activated licenses, click on In Use, webpage changes and you get a make available Button, click that, then restart Chief again and click activate with the Current Key.  that should be all it takes.....

Of course if you are not Home , you will need Wifi for the Laptop as you need Internet but nowadays you can actually do it via your Phone too, via your Digital Locker. ( do you know the Password? )

I have been using Chief since they added that feature. I too have always had a laptop for field work and my desktop. The procedure is simple but allows for NO variations of procedure. You can deactivate your desktop at home or you can deactivate or activate while online but the online activation and deactivation MUST be supported by a good Internet connection to do this. Whether at home or in the field a usable internet connection is required. I usually do the deactivate and activate at home where I have the best internet connection to support my choice.

DJP