.skp Model Losing Detail in Import

Chloe1Casey

I am not very versed in Sketchup. When I take this "official" GE .skp model of their dutch door oven and open it in Sketchup it looks great. When I import it into Chief Architect, it loses all the different details (colors) and looks like a complete stainless steel object. The doors and details are no longer black, etc. Does anyone know why this is happening? I have had this happen on a few files before. In the past, I would go into Sketchup and export the file as a Collada file and then import it into Chief Architect and it would keep the different finishes/colors. It did not work for this model though.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/78e6271b-3848-4fce-88a2-925037810c12/Monogram-30-Professional-French-Door-Electronic-Convection-Single-Wall-Oven

ZET1FHSS_DC.skp

Thanks! I am an idiot. I thought I had all the available manufacturer catalogs already downloaded, but somehow it missed it. :-( 

I am still curious to why it is happening since I have it happen on other Sketchup models as well. Is it because they all sit on one layer in Sketchup?

That is normally what I do. I downloaded this file, opened it in sketchup, and deleted all but one switch. I ungrouped the parts and then colored the faceplate metal and the plug white. When I brought it into Chief Architect, the entire item was red (and there was only one material listed). The only way I could get it to work is to export from Sketchup as a Collada file and then import in CA.

I would just use CA's included switches but they don't allow the faceplate to be a different material than the switch/outlet.

Decora Switch.skb

Do you think it has something to do with it being imported as an electrical item?

Edited by Chloe1Casey
Added sentence.

When you in 3D warehouse on the right you will see model info. Click on the Materials and you will see the only material is there is stainless steel.

The rest is SKM texture files. They are Texture file used by SketchUp, saved in a compressed.ZIP format and contain XML texture property files and they don't display in CA.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Chloe1Casey said:

Yes they have been around since at least X5, but they only have one color assigned to them so you can't have the faceplate something like polished nickel and the switch/outlet white.

Okay, when I needed to do that I made one from the CA Dacor Switch then slide it over the existing one, I made it as a Interior Fixture ( best choice?) so it doesn't Auto-join to the existing one and set it 1/16th off the wall originally for the same reason.

Oh.....Chopsaw's looks good too...

MHD_Dacora Coverplate.calibz

• Upvote 1

Greg_NY61's answer explained the issue with the Sketchup oven model. Fortunately, Justmejerry pointed out that there is the exact GE model I needed in a GE CA library (which for some reason I had never downloaded).

Chopsaw, nice model!  How did you edit the CA decora switch to be able to have two different materials? Just curious?

Kbird1, I LOVE your creativity! Nice solution.

I don't believe my question regarding why the Decora Sketchup file (which I gave different materials for the different parts) imports into CA as just a completely red object unless I export as a Collada file from Sketchup and then import into CA has been answered. The reason I continue asking is that I have had it happen with other Sketchup files as well.

2 minutes ago, Chloe1Casey said:

Chopsaw, nice model!  How did you edit the CA decora switch to be able to have two different materials? Just curious?

Thanks.  I learned it from @Alaskan_Son  "The Master" 

Not quite as easy as sketchUp but nice to know it can be done in chief when necessary.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Thanks.  I learned it from @Alaskan_Son  "The Master" 

Not quite as easy as sketchUp but nice to know it can be done in chief when necessary.   

I used the Surface Tool Trick too , just didn't take it as far as Chopsaw.

My guess on the "Red" issue is just a bad conversion of .skp files by CA..... or more likely as Greg mentioned above, when it is a .skp Sketchup is using zipped files for the Textures like Chief does and they expect the file to be used only in sketchup so no need to include them in the file , just reference them, but exporting as a 3Dmodel .dae file forces Sketchup to include the Textures with the Model.

M.