Chimney Placement

SocialAnt

I'm a very new user of Chief Architect x10 and I need some help with fireplace and chimney placement. Please bear with me as I try to explain as best I can. If a portion of a wall is cut out to place a chimney, I seem to lose the floor of the room the chimney is in. This is to flush mount the fireplace part. Do I draw walls around the chimney part or is there another way of correctly placing a flush mounted fireplace and chimney

Hi Zack , welcome aboard....

that is cos you broke the wall, placed the Fireplace and then joined the Wall back together

Just push the fireplace up against the wall and let it "auto" place.... then when re-selected, it should show a Diamond handle , grab it and drag the fireplace "box" thru the Wall

image.thumb.png.4a8e88100f76ec58dfc20f5902914295.png

image.thumb.png.ab7fa843aee6f57fdc9b5518fe2dfd50.png

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, solver said:

Never noticed that. I very rarely do fireplaces. That one has magic powers as it cuts its own hole in the wall, but it does not render correctly.

The hearth stone switches depending on which wall it's on, and if you peek into the firebox from the inside, you can see outside.

ct1.thumb.jpg.121050b9ac37394f4626ac4d1c294f6a.jpg

I don't either as Wood Burning Fireplaces aren't allowed here , I just used the one I thought Zack had used.

Good Catch ....The Symbol is made with one Texture , nothing separate for the Hearth so of course it doesn't work properly , it needs to Rotate 90° but you can't do that as it changes the Whole Fireplace..... the seeing outside is a new one :)  funny cos from outside it is there.... but I guess you are supposed to pull it up in Elevation or Add your own Exterior Chimney Box as if you pull this Firebox up it also pulls the inside up which you may not want.

Adrean on the Content Team will need to fix the default fireplace I guess , maybe more have this issue or we are "seeing " it all wrong???

@Adrean

3 hours ago, solver said:

Welcome Ant

Please take a minute to fill out your signature (See below for how to turn them on, and see mine for an example) by clicking on your user name at the top right of the page, click Account Settings, then Signature on the left. 

This info helps others help you.

Your version of Chief (X9, X10) (Premier, Interiors) is the important info.

Make sure you turn on View Signatures too.

SIG.thumb.jpg.af17109346e9446432098056e258623d.jpg

I totally agree with you asking new users to add signatures.  May I suggest you ask them via private messages.  Just trying to reduce the number of messages to go through when catching up on posts.  Otherwise thanks for your constructive replies.

When you remodel older homes, these are pretty standard and I will have something like this in every job I  draw and Chief has not updated this tool since I've been around , almost 14 years now.. Chimneys have always been a p-solid and manually done.

18 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

When you remodel older homes, these are pretty standard and I will have something like this in every job I  draw and Chief has not updated this tool since I've been around , almost 14 years now.. Chimneys have always been a p-solid and manually done.

That's true , the Default Fireplace has always had Issues and is why I don't play with it much at all.

Chimneys have always been a p-solid and manually done.

I started with Chief in 2005 and was amazed there wasn't a dedicated Chimney tool like there is for stairs etc

Chimneys have been around for thousands or years and are fairly common to houses

Surely a tool that can handle 80 - 90 % of chimney styles is possible.

Lew

On 10/15/2018 at 6:31 PM, Kbird1 said:

Adrean on the Content Team will need to fix the default fireplace I guess , maybe more have this issue or we are "seeing " it all wrong???

Unfortunately, because these fireplaces are parametrically generated (like windows and doors) their surfaces are hard-coded, and not something our content team can impact. Updates to the fireplace tool would have to be made progamatically and released in a new version.

If you'd like to see changes to these tools, you can send us reports via the Suggestions Thread or our suggestions e-mail and we will be sure to document them for consideration!

2 hours ago, Adrean said:

Unfortunately, because these fireplaces are parametrically generated (like windows and doors) their surfaces are hard-coded, and not something our content team can impact. Updates to the fireplace tool would have to be made progamatically and released in a new version.

If you'd like to see changes to these tools, you can send us reports via the Suggestions Thread or our suggestions e-mail and we will be sure to document them for consideration!

That's a pity as it has needed work for sometime and has been ignored it seems for the last few upgrades

Being Masonry Fireplaces are no longer the Norm these days I guess it only effects us Re-modellers working on older homes and isn't likely to get fixed then.

Thanks for the Info.

M.

18 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

That's a pity as it has needed work for sometime and has been ignored it seems for the last few upgrades

Being Masonry Fireplaces are no longer the Norm these days I guess it only effects us Re-modellers working on older homes and isn't likely to get fixed then.

Thanks for the Info.

M.

I don't think Chief has ever done anything with this tool, at least since I've been around.