Renovation Custom Roof

benchiko1

I have a renovation project that requires the modifying the roof to create more headroom for the attic space used for bedrooms. The existing roof has a 9 1/2:12 pitch. The new roof will have about 6" width of both side with 9 1/2:12 while the new roof will have 3 1/2:12. See attached pictures. Pic2 is what I want to design. The original was a gable.

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

22 minutes ago, benchiko1 said:

I have a renovation project that requires the modifying the roof to create more headroom for the attic space used for bedrooms. The existing roof has a 9 1/2:12 pitch. The new roof will have about 6" width of both side with 9 1/2:12 while the new roof will have 3 1/2:12. See attached pictures. Pic2 is what I want to design. The original was a gable.

Is it possible to do ? is that what you are asking?  yes i think so....

The photos of your Monitor are very hard to see , please use Windows Snipping Tool in Accessories to take Screen Captures instead

Also please do you Forum signature , thanks....

Something like this? 

Roof.thumb.jpg.a5e1e5994516e9095c5b0a027c6b77da.jpg

If so, it's fairly easy to do:

• Create your primary 9/12 pitched roof
  • Use a cad box and convert to hole in roof/ceiling to create your opening for your new roof
  • Manually draw your new 3/12 pitched roof
  • Create extra nodes for the gables
  • Draw gables 
  • Use the "Join Roof Planes" command to join gables with roof

Easy to do in CA as you can see above...just remember in the Real World you need somewhere for the Water to go off that Corner and a 6" gutter will not do it , you'll end up with a nice Waterfall there, every time it rains otherwise.

You might consider not having the Gables and just make it one long Dormer Roof instead .....that way you have a full length gutter and more head Room in the Stairs/Bathroom too.

M.

I would reiterate what Kbird is saying... Just say No. You literally having 1/2 of the roof diverting all water using this tiny little gutter.

This is the design that always damages the window and the door below. My jurisdiction would not even allow such changes.

Thanks for your response. I've updated my profile to include the signature. What I posted are screen shoot of PDF design I want to recreate in CA. I'm new to CA and working on a renovation to change the attic roof space. I'm having some challenges increasing the height of the wall and creating a different roof slope and wall height.

Thanks for your response. I've updated my profile to include the signature. What I posted are screen shoot of PDF design I want to recreate in CA. I'm new to CA and working on a renovation to change the attic roof space. I'm having some challenges increasing the height of the wall and creating a different roof slope and wall height.

On 10/15/2018 at 12:25 PM, benchiko1 said:

Wall Heights in CA are governed by the Roof/Ceiling Height as a general Rule......

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00772/building-a-cape-cod-roof-by-adjusting-ceiling-heights.html

***PS ......in CA you can NOT draw walls etc on the ATTIC Level and get a Room Definition , and CA uses the "Room" to control Heights etc so that is an issue.

This Tutorial on Manual Dormers may help you get Started :

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00449/creating-a-manual-dormer.html

there is also a Series of Videos on Dormers :

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/search/?default_tab=video&q=dormers

this one is specifically Manual Dormers

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/9923/focus-manual-dormers.html

Mick

5 minutes ago, benchiko1 said:

I'm stuck at the gable.

You didnt do the 1st step by the look of it ....i.e.  draw the two Gable Roof Planes..... look at 2:50 in the video again....  then cut the hole in the Shed Dormer Roof.

8 minutes ago, benchiko1 said:

I did. I drew the gables 5' wife each and snapped at 3 points and pulled back the roof plane.

You are missing something in the Video....

This is two different things.......

one is drawing the two gables ,

then after that , cut the hole in the existing roof , with the 3 snap points and pull it back in a V.

Then you pull the 2 Gable Roof planes back into the V and use the Join Roof Tool  to join the Gable Planes to the Exist Shed Dormer Roof Plane

FYI : the Plan you posted above does not have any gable roof planes or the V cut into the Dormer Roof.....

M.

Here is how I snapped and pulled back to form the V. The next step "... and use the Join Roof Tool  to join the Gable Planes to the Exist Shed Dormer Roof Plane" is what I was not able to do as the 3D does not show me two different roof planes to join. Thanks.Gable.thumb.PNG.f1b04cddd9e594acd105e009c81b7778.PNG