Backclipped

MN_JohnH

I am having a hard time finding out what "backclipped" actually means. I can see what it does but it seems like where I choose to backclip from on the plan has a lot to do with how things will show up. I assume there is s distance from camera distance that would define what shows? And also what would be the optimal distance from certain objects so that they are snappable if I am looking to draw on the backclipped or elevation image?

Thanks

By observation, the "Backclip" camera shows exactly what you get when you first "left-click", which establishes the "Viewpoint" of that camera view. Then when you "Release the mouse" that exact point establishes the extent of what can be seen in that camera view. That is what I have observed is the case. You can decide for yourself it in fact it means something else.

DJP

Hit F1 and put BackClipped into the Search Area , and the link on the left to Cross Sections and Elevations has a good explanation.... scroll down for Diagram...

You can open the BC Camera View and set the distance of the Backclip exactly if needed.

The Backclipped Cross Section tool includes only the objects or portions of objects between the starting point and stopping point of the camera’s Line of Sight.

image.thumb.png.eeed2d65058fd4c4f9d9def8497a414b.png

There is a layer named Cross Section Lines; when Chief cuts a section it automatically generates CAD lines and places them on this layer - these are the only lines to which you can snap (and dimension). If you turn this layer off, you lose all snapping functionality.

Thanks. I guess I should have just noticed the handles on the camera when I select it. Very good, I understand now how it works.

I still can't figure out how to work in a backclipped or elevation view. My cross section lines layer is on but there are very few points that are snapable, mostly just on the polyline solid that I drew in that view. Anyway, we forge ahead.

The Cross Section Lines layer is locked by default.

You may need to unlock it.

Keep in mind that only items that lie within back clipped depth and are cut, will be cross section lines, and thus snapable.

Items within the back clipped depth and showing in elevation will not be cross section lines and thus not snapable.