Curved Stair Rail Drops To Floor About 3/4 Way Up Stair?

threeutes

So,  I created a curved set of stairs up to the second floor, no prob. Customer wants cable railing. OK no prob, removed existing railings, went to plan view, drew curved railing to follow inside curve of stair. changed railing to PANEL, then selected PANEL TYPE, then clicked on follow stairs.

It worked great up until about 3/4's of the way and it dropped right back to the main floor??? help!

post-1540-0-23306100-1409335035_thumb.jpg

post-1540-0-90076800-1409335064_thumb.png

OK so I redrew the stairs and rail still to no avail. I adjusted the top balcony rail no luck. when I recreated the stair rail i did so from the main floor which I drew the stairs on and had floor reference turned on so i made sure everything was aligned

And yes the "follow"stair was checked, the stiar is one piece so there isnt another section that I could click on??

Its so wierd cause I've never had this happen before

you can seen the new screen shots..

Aaron

thanks in advance for your help!

post-1540-0-10435700-1409427608_thumb.png

post-1540-0-97314000-1409427616_thumb.png

post-1540-0-47304000-1409427627_thumb.png

post-1540-0-74547000-1409427634_thumb.png

With Custom Rails you place yourself you must be very careful to place the Rail on the Staircase or you will see what is happening in your Pics. the Rail will literally fall  off and onto the Ground,

Looking at your Plan Views it appears the radius of the handrail and stairs do not  quite match , ie the curve of the rail at the top end it "almost" touching the staircase edge whereas at the bottom it is an inch  ( a guess) inside the staircase which is probably why it hasn't "fallen down"   . To confirm my suspicion's just drag the rail in 6" and see if it "pops up" onto the staircase as expected.

M.

Yeah I hate to say it that wasone of the things I tried first.... I evene tried it in the middle of the steps and even on the otherside of the stairs..... I has to be something to do with the balcony and rail somehow??

Im baffled

Aaron

Aaron:

I think you've discovered a bug.  I can get a railing looking correct all the way up the stairs but I have a curved chunks of 2nd floor platform hanging level in mid air above the railing that I can't figure out how to get rid of. 

post-191-0-79003700-1409513435_thumb.jpg

By the way, I did the stairs on the 2nd level using the "click stairs" to place it; then butted it up against the 2nd floor platform; then clicked and ALT drug the bottom handle to curve the stairs.  I have the newels 30" O.C. so the railing follows the stairs better.  I am not so sure that cable railing is a good choice for a curved stairs??

All my efforst at drawing the stairs from Floor 1 to Floor 2 ended up in the same disaster as you are experiencing.  The curved chunk of floor platform isn't present when doing the stairs this way but  the The last section of railing (controlled by the newell spacing) still dives down to the Floor 1 floor surface.  I tried to trick Chief by making the newel spacing 1 inch (lowest spacing value available) and then giving the newels an opening - no material property but as you can see in the 2nd image, Chief still displays the presence of an aritfact of the 1st and last newels diving down to the floor surface.  I figured if it would have looked OK, you could have manually placed newels where desired along the railing and at least get it to model decently in camera views.

post-191-0-67610200-1409513476_thumb.jpg

I suggest you call Tech Support and discuss this with them.  Maybe there's a way to make it work with Chief ... I just can figure it out.  I know that Joe or some of the other symbols guru's could come up with a solution - I haven't learned how to do that sort of stuff very well yet.

it looks as though the balcony rail /newel is in the right place ...check perhaps ?

is the top of the Stair snapped to the upper balcony though? do I see a wavy line there? the elevation seems to show part of the stair in the balcony too

Post your Plan perhaps and let one of the Guru's have a look....

M.