Header Location

stephenbc

Auto framing does a great job in placing headers as defined for each opening.  But, I'm wondering if anyone has figured out a way to have them placed just under the top plate and then cripple down to the opening?  Currently, the auto framing places headers at the top of the rough opening and cripples up to the top plates. Manually moving these is time consuming, so thought to ask this question first.  thanks.

One of a litany of framing complaints I have.  I am absolutely mind boggled when I hear people on this forum who say they "set everything up correctly and it's perfect for the auto framing"....said all who have never framed a mailbox never mind a house.

• Upvote 1

I specify my header as a 2x6 in plank orientation, which basically becomes the top of the RO and the casing nailer.  I then use x boxes and polylines in cross sections to show the header flush under the top plate and cripples down to the framing.  I very rarely do wall framing plans, so I just do what is needed to get the plans through the engineer.

Chief's door/window header options are atrocious at best.  I've never seen a real world condition as they build it, at least not to modern building codes.  The frustrating part is that they did a lot of work on how opening headers are displayed in plan and how their labels are named, but this is of little use if the framing is amateur at best.

One can only hope one day they learn to put the horse before the cart...

• Upvote 1