Converting Collada DAE files to FBX - not working

OnlineBuilder

Im exporting my CA models to DAE, then converting them on Autodesk FBX converter on a Windows laptop. For some reason, the odd plan does not convert saying "not enough parameters". Its a pain because I can't start them again. 

I did some Googling and one solution was to convert the CA file to an obj, which you can't (Strange). 

Does anyone know why it is doing this? Is there another converter that works? 

Damien,

I seem to be able to produce a .FBX file of the same quality as the .DAE you have in your Dropbox however there are no textures so it is difficult to tell the exact quality of the file.

Could you post the textures file here or upload to Dropbox.  Also some screen shots or renderings from Chief for reference would be quite helpful as there seem to be a lot going on in that huge file.

I don't know if I've downloaded a old version, but mine says 2013. I downloaded it from here: https://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Graphic/Image-Convertors/Autodesk-FBX-Converter.shtml 

When I Googled about it, the screenshots show a 2016 version, but I cant find that version anywhere.

Dropbox file:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vzy7wgyuyqviewy/AAD4timjmDm6y3YzTK5LNAr5a?dl=0

Damien, I was able to get some of the textures you posted to link with the .dae file but did not seem to carry through with the conversion to the .fbx file.   The file does not seem to behave properly as I am used to seeing.  Everything is recognizable but a lot of off white surfaces that I assume are materials that are not linked properly.  If you like I could pull your X8 file through into X10 and possibly be able to diagnose a little better that way. 

Give the link that Mick posted a try and see it that works first. 

Solved!

So I went through and changed all the imported images to the standard ones - still didn't work.

Then I went through and deleted each item, then exported to DAE, and converted the file, which took a loooooooong time. Finally discovered that it was a dodgy shower head that I had downloaded from Sketchup Warehouse. Now it converts in seconds. 

22 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Wow !!   That must have been the last thing you would have thought it was.  Glad you found it though.

Yep, strange one.......but then we know CA hates anything Round with lots of polygons......and many 3D Warehouse symbols are done by Students learning Sketchup for a School course, so you really need to check the Polygon count.

M.

• 3 weeks later...

It happened again, so the process happened again. This time I had downloaded a rug from 3D Warehouse. It was fine, but when I shrunk it and used it as a placemat it did the same thing. All fixed now though. But some of those 3D Warehouse models don't react well to FBX conversion when modified.