Different Project, new question - Dormer problem

contractcad

I've got a problem trying to locate a dormer on top of a roof. First, the client wants the dormer face to be flush with the wall below but as you can see in the plan once I flush the face walls I loose my siding.

Second, I also wanted to flush the near side wall with the short wall railing I have on the inside of the third floor so they blend together and just as I thought, that was a lot to ask CA to do. I immediately lose my third floor (stays gone even after I pull the railing into the dormer side wall to connect it) and other crazy crap happens like loosing walls with other walls poking up through the roof.  (I did have to explode the dormers to be able to move the front face of the dormer over the top of the wall below)

Granted this thing is a cut up mess but the shell of the house actually already exists as shown (other than the dormers to be added) so I really don't have to worry about depicting anything to be structurally accurate.  This plan is only for the build-out of the empty space above the garage and remodel of the first floor.

I can fix most of this like I have with a lot of the other interior and exterior walls by just adding a  polyline face or solid but thought I'd ask because these twin dormers are something to be added to the shell and I would like to be accurate.

One other thing that's given me fits is a void in the ceiling in the room adjacent to the stairwell that is above the 2nd floor landing of the stairs going up to the third level.  This also isn't a big deal but it does have an annoying slice of drywall showing in the eave at the peak of the roof above.  I think this is probably due to how I originally pieced this thing together (possibly the program not recognizing a room in that area for the third level???) but will live with it if there's no easy answer because I don't feel like deconstructing/reconstructing stuff and creating other problems now that I've got it mostly to work.

House_3.plan

Hi Solver,

Thanks for the response, although I am unable to adjust the roof hole because I have no grips show up for it when I click on the roof plane. It may have to do with me having exploded the Dormer.

As you said I was able to pull the railing wall flush to the dormer side walls without loosing the floor but things got screwy when I tried to pull everything as an assembly to re-flush the railing above with the bedroom wall below (floor gone, roof hole staying in place, etc.) again probably a lot to do with dormers being exploded.

I will delete the dormers and relocate again after repairing the roof.  I'm pretty well resigned to having fix the missing siding I'm sure I'll get with polyline faces.

I've attached photos of the other problem area I spoke about. The only thing that would be nice to get rid of is the drywall on the exterior. I can hide the rest.

Gary,

I truly appreciate your help but I've yet to upgrade to X10. I'm still using X9 so I was unable to open your modified file.

Thanks so much

Problem Pic 1.jpg

Problem Pic 2.jpg

CA X version:

Yep, made a boo boo regarding my signature.  I swore I placed X9 but must have had Windows 10 on my brain when I typed it out. I've corrected it to show X9 now.

Roof hole:

Clicking on the actual roof hole DOES work.  I was clicking on the roof plane expecting to see grips for the hole.  Still working on the dormer side walls, where the interior wall that I'm trying to align the sided side dormer wall above.  I still have to delete both dormers and re-apply them to see if I can get the near side dormer wall and third level railing to align with the 2nd level bedroom wall WITHOUT having the third level floor disappear.

Tried the same hole adjustment to correct a problem I have regarding ceiling drywall around the one skylight in the existing 2nd floor bedroom but although I can easily grab the ceiling hole and move it around it does not reflect the change where I'm trying to remove the drywall gap and overlap at the top and bottom of said skylight.  The only way I can correct it is by turning on a flat ceiling in the room or turn on the roof over room radio button. Neither of which I want.  Turning on the roof over room radio button screws up the cathedral ceiling I have in the room.

Other problem area:

I was able to correct the roof plane somewhat to reduce the problem that I had but have not been able to add or adjust the wall that doesn't end up messing up the area.

Regarding your question about roof planes, yes, yes the roof does encroach into the home as you surmise.  This home started out as a tiny little lakeside cottage 60 to 70 years ago and has had at least three major additions.

Note the pictures below how the old roof was incorporated into an elevated bed when the previous owner added the original 2nd level.

IMG_20170725_185317903.jpg

IMG_20170725_185310219.jpg