Layout Problem

johnbds

Greetings,

I am a fairly new user and have run into a problem creating my layout file, would greatly appreciate any help you can offer.  I have watched the videos and read through the Reference Manual, but still cannot figure it out.   From the plan file with the floor plan layer set displayed, I send it to page 1 of layout, all good.  Next, with the framing roof layer set displayed I send it to page 2 of the layout.  The roof layer set is now displayed on page 2, but page 1 of the layout has now replaced the floor plan layer set with the roof layer set.  Every time I send another plan layer set to layout, all layout pages change to display only the most recently sent plan layer set.  I am at my wit's end, any help would be so appreciated.

Thank you,

John Cunningham

X10

McKeown, Colleen & Joe - 23.zip

McKoewn, Colleen & Joe - Prelim V2- HELP.layout

Sounds like you maybe have "Make Copy of Active Layer Set" selected in the Send to Layout DBX under the Send Options tab and you are not giving an independent name and just using the default "Layout Set 1".  If you have a layer set for each view you are sending to layout you don't need to use this feature at all.

If that is not it I would need to take a detailed look at your plan file which I have not done yet.

Thanks Chopsaw -  "Make Copy of Active Layer Set"  is not checked in the Send to Layout DBX.   I don't understand how, and if I need to, give an independent name.  I  just change layer sets to the view I want and Send to Layout with Make Copy of Active Layer Set not checked.  If I understand your response correctly, that should work. Yes?

image.png

image.png

The biggest time saving feature of the program is the Annotation Sets. In my workflow, Each layout box sent to layout should be using a distinct annoation set. Floor plans, framing plans, site plan, landscape plan, elevations, electrical hvac,etc , all have their own annotation sets and therefore their own layer sets. You can choose not to work in this way but the results will be the chaos you just saw.

Plan Views are very confusing creatures. Very powerful at first glance, and very dangerous at the second.

Issue:

At first glance Plan views appears to let you specify Annotation Set, LayerSet, CAD layer, and active defaults (Dimension Def, RichText, Callouts, Markers, arrows). How awesome is that, right? WRONG!

If you change just about ANYTHING in the plan view object options, Layerset, CAD Layer, OR ANY OF THE DEFAULTS You will notice that the name of a AnnoSet will be changed to "Using Active Defaults". Now IF you have a Roof Plan View open using "Roof Anno Set", and You made a change to the "Roof Plan View" object.. Your plan view now may be using  using active defaults and an roof object you are drawing could be using will be on Foundation Anno Set.

The Best Practice for Plan Views: (1) use dedicated anno sets, [e.g. roof, foundation, ...] (2) never make changes to the plan view object other than specify ANNOset (3) make changes to anno set and only anno set let it drive dedicated layerset [roofSets, foundationSet, etc] and the defaults. The AnnoSets are the kings.

Never send to a layout  something that is using "Active Defaults". 

PlanView.thumb.jpg.1b92646d38a4b4c1eef3fe34a5c9f1b0.jpg

>  Every time I send another plan layer set to layout, all layout pages change to display only the most recently sent plan layer set.  I am at my wit's end, any help would be so appreciated.

Rely on annosets not the plan views. When sending to a layout check annoset and the layerset. Plan Views are something that allow a designer to have more than one screen open of the same plan.

25 minutes ago, BrownTiger said:

Rely on annosets not the plan views

I have a different take on it. Where I see the confusion comes in is whenever you have a saved plan view.

IF you send a view to layout with Plan View listed as "None" then you can rely on anno-sets.

5bba668603349_PlanViewsettonone.thumb.png.bfd01a58aaf950aeaa55af30955f560e.png

IF it has a named plan view that is what the layout box will use AND you can't specify the anno-set in the layout box.

5bba66a44fb3c_Cantaccessannotationset.thumb.png.8c6aec139df95388d44c3c1d8abd3f1f.png

The problem arises when you work in a named view, ONLY IF you 1-change the anno-set OR layerset AND 2 save the plan view.

You can change any sets while working and the layout box WILL NOT reflect those changes so long as you do NOT save the plan view.

I now have been using plan views exclusively to send to layout but made a few changes to the toolbars. The only icon on the OOB toolbar relating to plan views is "Save Plan View" this is stupid under the circumstances and IMO part of why we see so many issues. I moved that icon to the far right of the toolbars, then add icons for "New Plan View" and "Save Plan View As" I also got in the habit of saying NO whenever the message pops up "do you want to save this plan view". I even try to force that box to pop up early in a session and check the box to leave me alone for this session so that I don't have to be sure to not read it when I close the file.

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 12:53 PM, johnbds said:

Greetings,

I am a fairly new user and have run into a problem creating my layout file,

Thank you,

John Cunningham

X10

McKeown, Colleen & Joe - 23.zip

McKoewn, Colleen & Joe - Prelim V2- HELP.layout

John, I highly respect the contributors (especially Marc, and Jerry) on this forum. I too like you; am relatively new (to using the software correctly), although I've owned a  license since X6, only now have had to depend on it more to use in my roll with my current co. am learning more about how to use the software correctly.  So short story, I was making a mess out of my Layouts / const. drawings, until Larry Hawes, and the great Glenn Woodward; helped me get on the right path, with setting up Anno sets (first) then linking Layer sets linked to each specific LS. As long as I select my Anno set, first (reflected ceiling set for example) my linked layer set will always be displayed. So far (I am practicing with them a little each day to get a better understanding of the do's and don'ts) this has worked like a charm for me. I have much more to learn, and un-learn (especially the bad habits). My personal take.