milgard styleline stretchable slider

Renerabbitt

Nice work Rene , looks like you got it sorted out .....

I have found on screened windows and doors in the past if you make the texture for the Screen Material 3/16 x 3/16 or so, it will look more like the real thing.... and reversing the colours and using Hexagon for the Pattern will make it look better in Vector Views too.

Capture3.thumb.JPG.4efe05cefe2d65cc5cc5f75d9b9f2072.JPGCapture4.thumb.JPG.4d5612c491292f9be74018581a7cf582.JPG

On 10/5/2018 at 5:32 PM, Kbird1 said:

Nice work Rene , looks like you got it sorted out .....

I have found on screened windows and doors in the past if you make the texture for the Screen Material 3/16 x 3/16 or so, it will look more like the real thing.... and reversing the colours and using Hexagon for the Pattern will make it look better in Vector Views too.

Capture3.thumb.JPG.4efe05cefe2d65cc5cc5f75d9b9f2072.JPGCapture4.thumb.JPG.4d5612c491292f9be74018581a7cf582.JPG

hey kbird, will you upload your version for everyone?

• 1 month later...

On 10/5/2018 at 7:13 PM, Renerabbitt said:

Rene/Mick;

The window symbol is fabulous...but you cannot adjust the "frame".  Maybe if you made the symbol without a frame and created a window symbol the frame could be adjusted in the window DBX.  As it is works...but many times a window like this is installed in a drywall wrapped opening and reducing the depth of the frame is necessary.  

39 minutes ago, SNestor said:

Rene/Mick;

The window symbol is fabulous...but you cannot adjust the "frame".  Maybe if you made the symbol without a frame and created a window symbol the frame could be adjusted in the window DBX.  As it is works...but many times a window like this is installed in a drywall wrapped opening and reducing the depth of the frame is necessary.  

I can't claim any credit for this Window it is all Rene's doing , I simply changed the Screen Material to what I thought looked better in different views.

Rene will have the Original plan , so perhaps he can make a slightly different version for the Drywall Return situation.

Mick.

2 hours ago, SNestor said:

Rene/Mick;

Well shoot, I have such a solid system for backing things up yet I don't have a plan file for this. Seeing as I posted this on my birthday I may have been a bit disorganized that day for whatever reason :).

I don't have time to at the moment but the delete surface tool could remove the jamb and turn this into a new symbol..I've never made a window before, it was quite challenging to build in Chief, probably would've been better off in a 3d program. Not sure how one is to properly build the window so the jamb functions correctly

I hadn't looked earlier, but it does look like you made the Jamb in your Model, so the Parametric one is being ignored , ie turning it on/off or adjusting inset has no effect. Not sure if it is as simple as not including a Jamb in the Window Symbol and letting Chief supply it's parametric one or not , as I have not built any Custom Windows.

Joe would be able to answer that for you I am sure....

M.

"Window Symbols" are somewhat problematical in Chief.  It's really best to use Chief's Parametric Window (set everything as you want it) and then save that to the Library.  That way, all the casings, frame, sash, materials, etc are saved as a "Window" rather than as a "Window Symbol".  

I know you are trying to get the "screen" but using a "Symbol" just creates too many problems.  I would just add the screen as an "Exterior Furnishing" symbol that hangs on the wall and place that separately.  You might be able to define it as an exterior window treatment but I haven't tried that.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

"Window Symbols" are somewhat problematical in Chief.  It's really best to use Chief's Parametric Window (set everything as you want it) and then save that to the Library.  That way, all the casings, frame, sash, materials, etc are saved as a "Window" rather than as a "Window Symbol".  

I know you are trying to get the "screen" but using a "Symbol" just creates too many problems.  I would just add the screen as an "Exterior Furnishing" symbol that hangs on the wall and place that separately.  You might be able to define it as an exterior window treatment but I haven't tried that.

Hi Joe , the Screen is not an Issue I just updated the"material" for Rene's window, Steve was wondering how to use the Window with NO Jambs or Casing , ie with just drywall returns but it appears that the parametric Jamb setting is ignored in this case , as Rene Built the window with a full Depth one....

so the Question was if Rene's Window had no Jamb in the Symbol would CA's Parametric one work as Usual?

Mick.

57 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

so the Question was if Rene's Window had no Jamb in the Symbol would CA's Parametric one work as Usual?

Yes, the symbol dbx just needs to specify "System Supplies Rectangular Casing" in the Options Tab.

But then you will need to make sure the casings, etc match what Milgard has for that product.  That's why I suggested just saving a "Window" to the Library after providing all the proper settings.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Yes, the symbol dbx just needs to specify "System Supplies Rectangular Casing" in the Options Tab.

But then you will need to make sure the casings, etc match what Milgard has for that product.  That's why I suggested just saving a "Window" to the Library after providing all the proper settings.

Thanks for getting back with more info Joe :)

M.