Selecting moldings from plan view technique?

M-Ferioli

If I layout a crown molding polyline from the plan view, is there an easy way to select it and edit it?  It is basically invisible and I can never seem to select it, the cursor just picks up the cabinets and other larger objects.  I can get to it if I turn off major layers but was wondering if there is an easier way to maybe grab it from list of symbols in the current job?  Or a way to see every symbol underneath the cursor and then pick the one you want to select?  This really applies to all symbols that are stacked vertically but moldings seem to be the hardest to select.

Thanks!

Mike

A list  would be a great idea but for now you can use the tab key to drill down through the nearby items although sometimes it is easier to turn off or lock some of the items that seem to always be selected first.

1 hour ago, M-Ferioli said:

If I layout a crown molding polyline from the plan view, is there an easy way to select it and edit it?

Few things you can do. Use a layerset (or in my case as part of an annotation set) that limits what is shown on the plan. I have an annoset that I use to dimension wall cabinets that can be used for molding with less clutter.

5bb8067e90b6c_Fullforprint.thumb.png.51dd5b2205b02eb689cb93bd1311fc21.png

Less Clutter-

5bb80687bc4de_Trimmeddownlayerset.thumb.png.bbd3ccf12aa6a148fc0aadf9d868856b.png

It also helps if you -select molding from library first BUT don't just go and click, with molding selected then select molding line (or hot key it which is what I do) If you select and then just click on the plan you end up with a closed molding polyline which you don't want.

5bb806a97e460_SelectMoldingfirst.thumb.png.5f27067e157eb002084af967f41cd413.png

It helps to start with the molding that has the deepest profile first, add others later.

Alternatively if you don't remember to select a molding first run the molding line beyond the cabinet so you can see it

5bb806bce6552_Beyondcabinet.thumb.png.5b382e0585524ac07080adf688388c7b.png

Thanks for the help everyone!  I learned something new from each reply that I've already applied and am truly grateful for all your help.

I'll make a note about annotation sets and explore that in the future, sounds helpful for sure.

5 minutes ago, basketballman said:

You can also increase the line weight and color it bright red so it really pops ..

Now there is an amazingly simple solution.   I may have to try that for moldings that are drawn in elevation that are less than a pixel in plan view and see if it works.   Thanks.