Is there a button or macro to toggle a layers visibility

rcmcdougle

I do renovation work frequently. As part of my process I load a PDF of the existing plan then trace over it. I would love to have a button on my main toolbar that would toggle that one layers visibility. It is a pain to click through the layer dialog many times a day for this.  Any thoughts?

Not exactly but several ways at it- use the ALDO (active layer display) and place it on layer you make and name that so it is at the top of the pile-per picture.

ALDO.thumb.png.bb822011dcc0a6cefdb664c713044fc5.png

There are things you can do with Plan views and or annosets or just layersets. Any of those can be toggled quickly.

5bb79dac3803d_Annolayersetplanviews.thumb.png.ff91d418a540df919a2c648242f37fdc.png

Thanks guys,

In the context of renovation work... I am onsite or in a clients abode frequently when needing this feature. Don't have my multi screen desktop with me, or a lot of screen space on my laptop to keep the ALDO open all the time. ChromeCast does a great job throwing Chief to their big screen TV but...

I was hoping for a macro or something I could execute with a button that would do this. I have created such in other CAD software using Python. Is this something that can be done through Ruby?

The easy way is to just assign a hotkey to the ALDO like `   ( key next to the 1 Key )...... I set Layer Display Options to Shift+` =~ (tilde) instead

you just need to make sure the "focus" is on the main CA window for it to work ...ie click the plan window 1st

it's under View Tools>   see pic below

Capture2.thumb.JPG.d2e5833502b898e707e19584cd03f669.JPG

Along the same lines.

You can select the PDF and open the Object Layer Properties dbx by clicking the toolbar button on the Edit toolbar.

The Object Layer Properties dbx is similar to the ALDO.

The Object Layer Properties dbx, however, will only display a single layer for a PDF - the layer the PDF resides on.

No looking for, or selecting a layer, the layer is already there and selected, ready to be turned off.

Not a single click operation, but fairly quick and easy. 

Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 10.14.54 am.png

2 hours ago, rcmcdougle said:

ChromeCast does a great job throwing Chief to their big screen TV but...

Do you mind explaining how you are able to use Chromecast to cast CA plan / layout files to others "Big Screen". I've never been able to get CC to work casting CA?

The trick to CC Chief is cast desktop. -> https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/3228332?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en-GB

I just tested this in a new location and it works perfectly. I keep a ChromeCast dongle & power supply in my laptop bag and set it up as needed with my phone. Takes about 3 minutes. I have a large screen TV in my office for client visits and design review.

16 hours ago, rcmcdougle said:

Thanks guys,

In the context of renovation work... I am onsite or in a clients abode frequently when needing this feature. Don't have my multi screen desktop with me, or a lot of screen space on my laptop to keep the ALDO open all the time. ChromeCast does a great job throwing Chief to their big screen TV but...

I was hoping for a macro or something I could execute with a button that would do this. I have created such in other CAD software using Python. Is this something that can be done through Ruby?

14 hours ago, BrownTiger said:

I would put it on its own layer and use "Plan Views", you can have many plan views open at the same time. switching takes one click on the plan view drop down.

Ruby won't do it. Here is what BT is talking about and I mentioned-few plan views from a remodel I'm working on. Import  shows Blue DWG (s) that were converted from really bad real estate PDFs. To move between views use CTRL + TAB; OR click the drop down; OR open in library browser; OR resize the main window, tear off the Import tab, maximize the main window and use ALT + TAB to go between them. (I prefer the layout for that last one though)

5bb8cb4955c3e_Planviewnoimport.thumb.png.52473a94639e45825a3b21becd179e39.png5bb8cb4e4938b_PlanViewImporton.thumb.png.67f6a31e53eb68d51568bae7172f7abf.png

FWIW for the last 9 yrs. the majority of my meetings have been at clients homes with a laptop. I do use all the Side windows so have the ALDO.

I do bring along a small USB monitor (1.7 lbs, 3/4" thick in case-3/8 without, no power supply needed) when TV and network is available it serves as a handy storage screen to send windows to while the laptop mirrors to the TV (used to use MS dongle, now a Roku which is easier and more stable) Since most meetings are at the dining room table without a TV that gets used for the clients to view.

1 hour ago, MarkMc said:

Ruby won't do it. Here is what BT is talking about and I mentioned-few plan views from a remodel I'm working on. Import  shows Blue DWG (s) that were converted from really bad real estate PDFs. To move between views use CTRL + TAB; OR click the drop down; OR open in library browser; OR resize the main window, tear off the Import tab, maximize the main window and use ALT + TAB to go between them. (I prefer the layout for that last one though)

Thanks for that Mark. I had never used Plan Views before. It will do the trick. I just need to create some additional layer sets for the specific views. Just name them beginning with z_ and they go to the bottom of the Layer Set list.

Interesting idea for the portable monitor at the dining room table. Beats juggling a laptop in the living room. I guess I am good for now. Thanks again.