Lighting anno & layer vs Electrical anno & layer

Evolution

I have to have separate layer sets so I can separate the power plan from the lighting plan for code submittal.  I set up Anno sets  and layer sets for both, and set up different details for example, electrical power, on the anno and layer set for power.  Same for electrical lighting, for the lighting anno and layer set. When I go to my lighting  anno and attempt to add lighting only, the message is I need to turn on electrical layer, but I have a lighting layer set up to use instead, and have that selected but that doesn't work at all. Am I stuck with have to do a cad work around for lighting? or am I missing something? I suppose since lighting is electrical, I can't create a display for lighting and turn off electrical and have lighting only displayed?

ELEC LAYER & ANNO.PNG

LIGHT LAYER & ANNO.PNG

REFL CEIL.PNG

FS2_RCP.zip

display.PNG

electrical display turned off.PNG

Great Idea.  All you need to do is change all your electrical lights to use the electrical lighting layer rather than electrical and save them into you user library.  Then when you know it is all working assign them as defaults.

Bob,

If I understand your situation correctly...

You have set up all your anno and layer sets OK, but you have done nothing to tell the lighting and electrical items to use those settings when you place them in the plan.

All lighting and electrical items go to the Electrical layer by default. 

You can do as Chopsaw says, or...

Open the Electrical Defaults dbx where you can select a Default Library Object for that electrical/lighting item.

If you click Edit...Layer Panel, you can assign a default layer for the various types of electrical and lighting items.

While you are in that dbx, you can set up a whole range of other defaults that will apply to that particular type of electrical/lighting item.

8 hours ago, glennw said:

Bob,

If I understand your situation correctly...

You have set up all your anno and layer sets OK, but you have done nothing to tell the lighting and electrical items to use those settings when you place them in the plan.

All lighting and electrical items go to the Electrical layer by default. 

You can do as Chopsaw says, or...

Open the Electrical Defaults dbx where you can select a Default Library Object for that electrical/lighting item.

If you click Edit...Layer Panel, you can assign a default layer for the various types of electrical and lighting items.

While you are in that dbx, you can set up a whole range of other defaults that will apply to that particular type of electrical/lighting item.

I'm sure it is much easier for the experts to understand, but being the inept novice I am, I'm hoping I'm headed in the right direction? Go to tools, electrical open the dbx and reassign the layer for say....anything related to power to the electrical anno-layer? Then for lighting open each device / fixtures DBX and reassign them to my lighting layer?

ASSIGN LAYER TO ELEC.PNG

7 hours ago, Evolution said:

I'm sure it is much easier for the experts to understand, but being the inept novice I am, I'm hoping I'm headed in the right direction? Go to tools, electrical open the dbx and reassign the layer for say....anything related to power to the electrical anno-layer? Then for lighting open each device / fixtures DBX and reassign them to my lighting layer?

ASSIGN LAYER TO ELEC.PNG

It doesn't appear you have an ..ELECTRICAL Power Layer defined , you do have and ..ELECTRICAL LIGHTING layer defined though , I think you maybe mixing Annosets and "Layer Sets " and just single Layers up....    Single Layers>Layer Sets>Annosets

Set anything Power related to your new ..ELECTRICAL Power Layer (make it 1st) and anything Lighting Related to your existing ..ELECTRICAL LIGHTING Layer in the Defaults. This only covers the Default Items , so you will also need to assign other Objects you use to one of those two Electrical Layers too ( copy CA Objects to your User Library and change them there, if they are Items you will always use.)

Your ELECTRICAL SET is still displaying a number of Lighting Layers and the Lighting Set is also showing some Electrical Layers you may or may not want on by default. You have a number of different Electrical and lighting layers ,( fixtures and furniture etc) so that will/may complicate what you want to see in what View (Electrical vs Lighting Annoset)

M.

Bob,

When setting up the electrical/lighting defaults, it is worth remembering that Chief is smart enough to know what type of item is placed, depending on it's location.

In the Electrical Defaults dbx, there are items like Light - Ceiling, Light - Wall, Light - Wall, Light - Wall Outdoor, etc, and you can set individual defaults for each item.

But, the standard drop down tool, only shows one item called Light.

However, Chief will place the appropriate fitting (determined by your default) depending on where you place the light.

ie, if you place the light in a room, Chief will use the Light - Ceiling default item.

If you place the light on an internal wall, Chief will use the Light - Wall default item.

If you place the light on an external wall, Chief will use the Light - Wall Outdoor default item.

Also remember that layer/anno sets will not control what layer an electrical/lighting item is placed on.

You need to do that either through the Electrical Defaults dbx, by a saved library item, or by editing each individual (or group) of items.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, glennw said:

Also remember that layer/anno sets will not control what layer an electrical/lighting item is placed on.

You need to do that either through the Electrical Defaults dbx, by a saved library item, or by editing each individual (or group) of items.  

• Electrical defaults dbx: Open tools>defaults>Electrical> select the items I want to be placed on the power Plan? (Set up an anno and layer set for strictly power, in layer sets turn off everything I do not wish to show in the Power Plan, correct?)
  • Saved Library Item: Once an item is placed (in the plan I have set up as my Power layer) select that item and save it to my user library such as ELECTRICAL, DUPLEX RECEPT?) These items will remain in my user library as long as I continue to use my template plan for project to project. 
  • Editing each individual (or group) of items, I'm a little unsure of how to do this? Goes back to editing it in the Electrical Default dbx? 

I will work on these.  Our local area the Code AHJ's like to have plans broken down by discipline and even further when there is a lot going on in the plans. Site / Civil is another they like broken down even further.

I'll get it through my think skull, I'm sure, remembering it may be a challenge :o!.  One thing I've done for now, is save my plan with the anno and layer sets I've been working on to clean up, as my template. As Mick pointed out. All contributors who helped me in my plight, THANK YOU!

51 minutes ago, Evolution said:

Editing each individual (or group) of items, I'm a little unsure of how to do this? Goes back to editing it in the Electrical Default dbx? 

Bob,

No, not correct.

Place an electrical/lighting symbol in the plan.

Select it - or group select several items.

Open the dbx and go to the Layer panel.

Change the layer.

8 hours ago, Evolution said:
  • Electrical defaults dbx: Open tools>defaults>Electrical> select the items I want to be placed on the power Plan? (Set up an anno and layer set for strictly power, in layer sets turn off everything I do not wish to show in the Power Plan, correct?)

You already have an Electrical and Lighting Annoset , you are missing the ..Electrical_Power LAYER as I noted above, to assign to the Power Items in the Defaults DBX too.

-Turn on the new ..Electrical_Power Layer in the Electrical Layer SET and also turn OFF the lighting Items in it.

• Saved Library Item: Once an item is placed (in the plan I have set up as my Power layer) select that item and save it to my user library such as ELECTRICAL, DUPLEX RECEPT?) These items will remain in my user library as long as I continue to use my template plan for project to project. 

they will be in the Library even if not using the "Template" , you can copy them from Chief's library and paste into you own User Library even, then right Click them and rename so you know it's one you made , and change the Layer assignment to one of your new Layers  ie  ..Electrical_Power or ..Electrical_Lighting as needed.

• Editing each individual (or group) of items, I'm a little unsure of how to do this? Goes back to editing it in the Electrical Default dbx? 

As above, you can edit any item in your User Library by right clicking and Opening the Item (not the symbol) and assigning them to the layer you created above, or you can do it directly "In Plan" by group selecting like items as I think Glenn mentioned. Once you set your new Electrical Defaults in the Defaults DBX you shouldn't need to go in there again unless you want to change a Default of Course.... then you will need to assign the LAyer to the new Default Item too so it shows up in the correct Layerset/Annoset.

Mick.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Great detailed info Mick.  Having the opportunity to use my software more and more and with all the help I've been afforded from you and the others on the forum, is certainly the boost I need to climb out of my frustration - nose dive, with myself. I will continue practicing in between all my other responsibilities. There is so much to learn with the software, and I DO want to learn the right way to do things, and not just make something work. I'm sure as I become more proficient with the software tools and understand how better to use them, I can work more efficiently!

Don't be too hard on yourself , you are right it takes alot of effort and time to get into the "inner workings" of CA of any software this complicated/deep, best way is to just use it ..at least for me, which is why I am also checking out the Forum all the time and picking up Tips and learning while I try to help others where I can.

M.