Purple Raytrace

AvoyeDesign

OK, so it's been a while since I've played around with Chief's raytrace utility, probably a couple of years.  I don't really need it for the majority of the work I do.  Just last night I swapped my i5 6500 processor for an i7 7700k 4.2 ghz processor, and wanted to watch chief raytrace with blazing speed.  Well, it did, but it was all purple.  What gives?  I don't even know where to start on this problem...  I've tried many files and they all do this.

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks.

Griffen Drive Proposed.plan

Purple Raytrace.jpg

Chief's Preferences show the OpenGL Render , RT is not OPENGL AFAIK as RT is mostly done by the CPU not the GFX card so if the UHD 630 is not disabled , during RT it is possible I guess the system is dropping back to the Intel Card..... you could try adding CA under the 3D Manage TAB of the NV Control Panel

Did you upgrade the Intel GFX Drivers with the new CPU?  I seem to remember other reports like this associated with the Intel card when X10 came out????

The latest NV Driver is not always the greatest ....the 400 series was released for the 2000 Series cards and aren't great from all reports I have seen , it is why I went back to 399.24

Does your MB fully support the i7-7700K?  does it have the latest Bios?

Ray tracing doesn't use the video card at all. It is strictly a CPU operation. So, there must be something about the system that is causing this issue.

Does this happen when booting into a clean startup or safe mode with networking?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

On 10/3/2018 at 3:09 PM, KervinHomeDesign said:

Yeah, Chief preferences are showing the 1060 as the video card, not sure where else this might show differently.  I updated my driver and raytraced, still purple.  

Just curious if you figured this out ? might be good for others to know how if you did too....

M.

I'm trying to update my bios... no luck.  I download the bios update file from ASUS and put it on a thumb drive, and the bios updater says its not a bios file.  I've tried a bunch of stuff with no luck.  I'll contact asus next week.  But from the sound of other comments, it doesn't seem to be a gpu issue.

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

this one?  https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z170-PRO-GAMING/HelpDesk_BIOS/

I assume you unzipped it and renamed it correctly for your  MB? you can do that manually or use the Bios File Renamerl Utility

image.thumb.png.0e05733829754de20350dd29443e1ed4.png

do you have USB BIOS Flashback ? usb port and button?

there is also an ME update by the looks

image.thumb.png.8d3b53ea3c88057f0ec49d05ddf29754.png

I checked in my MOBO manual, that section you clipped for naming the file is for BIOS recovery, where they system has to find a bios file on a thumb drive to replace a corrupt bios.  I still can't get m BIOS to recognize the update file.  

1 hour ago, KervinHomeDesign said:

I checked in my MOBO manual, that section you clipped for naming the file is for BIOS recovery, where they system has to find a bios file on a thumb drive to replace a corrupt bios.  I still can't get m BIOS to recognize the update file.  

I have a ASUS X99A-II MB and have to rename it for every Bios Update, as I use the USBFlashback port on the MB, not 100% sure the rename is need if using EZFlash3 in the Bios to do it. The file as downloaded will not work usually... most modern ASUS boards use the .cap (capsule) extension but I think EZFlash in the bios will also recognize .rom (image file) files BUT the file MUST be renamed correctly for your particular MB , to the shortened version , that is why they provide the Re-Naming Utility too.

did I have the correct MB? do you have the correct MB listed in your Sig.?  the renamed File is MB dependant and will only work for that model or model revision. , the Latest Bios is already a .cap file , so all that is usually needed is to change the name in Win. Explorer to the correct name for your Model.

Also use a USB2 Drive if you have one and the USB2 port if you don't have USB Flashback Port like my MB.

Try the RenamerL utility and see what it renames it......

hmmmmmm..........you sure you downloaded the correct Bios for your MB?

Kevin,  Now that you have isolated the problem to just the background it may make sense that it is just an issue with chief not finding or reading the image file correctly.  Run a search on "Purple" and there are a couple of X10 threads I have participated in.  It just looks way too familiar.

7 minutes ago, KervinHomeDesign said:

OK, I figured out the problem with the BIOS update:  I was looking at the wrong MOBO on ASUS site.  Mine has the /AURA designation.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z170-PRO-GAMING-AURA/HelpDesk_Download/

Gonna give this one a go, it should work fine.

then the name would be...

image.thumb.png.0f54325e9e2e9d637af577be893e6635.png

5 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

then the name would be...

image.thumb.png.0f54325e9e2e9d637af577be893e6635.png

The name isn't the problem, I can update bios from a Windows app without renaming the file.  There is actually a different bios for each MOBO, and the windows app was saying that the BIOS file I was trying to use didn't match the BIOS image on the system.  Going to the PRO GAMING/AURA page to download the correct file was the right move.

So my BIOS is updated successfully, and I still have purple raytrace.  So that wasn't it apparently...

I don't recommend updating a Bios from a Windows App but in this case it sounds like it worked out okay..... Use EzFlash in the Bios , it is much safer.....

Pity that wasn't it though , you are sure it isn't the backdrop right? since it's only effecting the BD now? very strange one .......Only RT right? not PBR or anything else?

Just now, Kbird1 said:

Pity that wasn't it though , you are sure it isn't the backdrop right? since it's only effecting the BD now? very strange one .......Only RT right? not PBR or anything else?

As stated earlier in this thread, when raytracing a model in Chief's OOB template file, it is only the background that is purple.  When raytracing a model from my own template file, most textures are purple.

I've checked and my MOBO is compatible with Kaby Lake with a bios update, but requires a skylake cpu to perform the bios update.  I did update the bios shortly after building the system, and when I built it kaby lake was already out, so that bios likely works with kaby lake.  Now I just have the most recent bios.

The bios update happened in BIOS, it was just the window's app that set it up; i.e. caused the computer to restart into bios and do the update.  I've done it before, never a hitch.

2 minutes ago, KervinHomeDesign said:

Great, someone else with the same problem, but I see no solution.

PM him and see what the issue was....

I didn't find much Else on it but maybe CS did from his Post earlier in the Thread?

5 minutes ago, KervinHomeDesign said:

As stated earlier in this thread, when raytracing a model in Chief's OOB template file, it is only the background that is purple.  When raytracing a model from my own template file, most textures are purple.

Ahhhh....no I hadn't twigged to the difference in what was Purple but sounds similar to MTL's issue with templates too.

M.