Printing To Adobe PDF Issue

EconBlueprints

This happens to me all the time. Tried several different PDF "printers" and they all did pretty much the same. They "tile" the output with the lighter linework. Search the forum. I was part of this discussion in time past. Chief's included PDF engine works better about keeping the line quality but it creates very large PDF files for me - 80 to 100+ Mb files many times. The others create smaller files but you get the lighter linework. I finally settled on Bullzip - it was the best compromise for me but still tiles the output on some sheets.

If you go to your PDF you can click on the light areas. You will see the individual "tiles" highlight. Sorry to see X10 still has this problem. I haven't downloaded X10 yet even though I have a current SSA account. Plan on downloading today or tomorrow. I have a heavy workload with several projects already started in X9 and just haven't wanted to wade in to the struggles of X10, new templates, etc. PBR will probably be (hopefully) better come X11 but I don't have the time to "fiddle" with it right now. I do like the plan views feature - that will be a game changer for me.

If you set what is colored to grayscale when printing this is the result: yellow becomes grey. I always set me print to PDF to no color= Black and white and thus this avoids a grey-scale outcome. Adjusting fill color and line weights as mentioned by Ridge Runner and javatom also sometimes need to do. In the end, it is you who can control or not any outcome. You get an unwanted result, then you take steps to correct or better the result.

DJP

Refer to previous discussions on this topic (linked below)...in short, it is likely a result of you using transparencies and using a 3rd party printer.  You either need to eliminate the transparencies or use chief's built in PDF printer for it to go away:

3 hours ago, BenPalmer said:

in short, it is likely a result of you using transparencies

Ben, I don't use transparencies nor embed PDF's in my layout views and I still have the same problem as the OP. In addition, I only send plot line views, not live views. I keep it simple since I still use an HP plotter to print my own drawings for reproduction to ammonia-based blueprints (no print shop within 50 miles of me). Chief's built-in PDF driver works for me but it is the file size that is the killer.

After reading all of your responses, I played around with different options and the following  gives me about 90% of what I am am looking for.
1.  Choose the Chief PDF maker for the printer
2.  Print the plan in color to the Chief PDF maker.  (When I printed in black and white to the Chief PDF maker, it did not come out as well)
3.  Print the PDF file to my printer, but this time print in black and white.
This makes all of the line and fill colors consistent throughout the drawing.  Not as black as I want it to be, but I am working on that.
Thanks for all the help.

If you post the chief file, then people can test it on their machines, printers and settings to see if they get the same results and troubleshoot it as needed.  We are all just making our best guesses based on info, pdf file and our own experiences.  I only get that when i'm dealing with transparencies (knowingly or not), but perhaps it's caused by something else.  Hard to know without the actual Chief file.  Sounds like you are getting their though.

14 hours ago, Ridge_Runner said:

Perry, are you using this as your PDF printer or Chief's built-in PDF printer?

I don't use Chief's PDF printer, print straight to Adobe and I always print in color but be careful on what colors you use b/c  using color off is greyscale, which color you use will matter, try to use a darker color and not use any light colors unless you want to have a light gray color or just use a light gray for those. You can test your colors by using the color off icon to see what it looks like in greyscale.

• 2 weeks later...

A little off the topic but I have a client who hired me to finish his plan that he did in home designer(not something I normally do but he was close and I didn't have to commute) anyway, when I print the line weights are huge only on the floor plan.  All my other sheets come out just fine.  Can't figure out why this sheet is having so much difficulty.  My text looks fine but all other line weights and line  types are off.

Atkinson NFP.pdf