Laser Scanned As Built Drawings

Melinda

Hi Guys

I'm a long time Cheif user in Northern California, first time here on this Forum.

I have a client that would like to utilize a service that laser scans and produces 

As Built drawings to expedite a large remodel I will be designing and drawing

for them. I have never used this type of service before. My concerns are that

the  drawings will potentially not be fully correct or inclusive and most imporatantly

not be executable in Cheif to the degree I expect. In other words how much tweaking
will I have to do to As Builts produced this way. 

Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Help me figure this

out!  Thanks Melinda

I'm actually speaking to Texas Company called Spatial Acuity. Having never done this I am completely clueless about the nuts and bolts of the actual technology and how it translates, particularly to CA. Would love any and all comments or reccomendations of firms that have worked well with Cheif. Thanks David.

So far I have only contacted the first firm.

• 1 year later...
3 minutes ago, SuzysDesigns said:

I have a scan of a building we are doing and im trying to figure out a way to import it in Chief. 

What is the file format of the scan ?     Maybe post it here and someone will see what the possibilities are.

On 9/28/2018 at 5:53 PM, Melinda said:

Thank you guys. I have requested a sample plan and will let you all know how it works. I did watch the video on impporting the 2-d plan into Cheif to trace. Thanks for your input everyone!

I sent you a PM, I'm up in the Bay Area, willing to save you/client some $$ to get your project into CA, else GL and let us know how it goes!

• Like 1

all of the scans are .rcp files ( i tried to do a search on the file format and all i got was reflective ceiling plans LOL) we use an autodesk program called Recap and it creates a point cloud.. its a great technology for all our as builts and remodels but its also great for civil work we do before the design a building... we do really big projects at our firm but we have been getting alot of smaller projects and the clients want to see alot of details. I use Chief on the side for house plans and my clients absolutely love the visuals and the walk through.   I would like to pitch this to my boss but if i cant figure out away to import our scans then Ill be wasting my time.. we scan everything. if any one knows how to import a .rcp or how to convert the point cloud into something chief can see then i would really appreciate it. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SuzysDesigns said:

all of the scans are .rcp files

When it comes down to it, these scans are simply not a good value outside of revit or similar programs. CA is built primarily for the residential world where architectural elements are few in variation. Residential building code and your local plan-checker allow for a more organic approach to drafting...commercial is simply a different animal.

Someone needs to convert a scan to a dwg/dxf/pdf, rescale, trace, interpret elevations, and you still have to redraw...you might be missing details, a scanner isn't going to get you setbacks to place the lot, it won't tell you which way the joists are running or what your sub-grade conditions are, stick framed or truss roof...and someone already spent a boatload on it...neat :).

I spent years with a laptop in the field with a bluetooth measuring device and what you come to realize is it's just faster with pen and paper.

8' plate height, 26LH, 44CS, 3 to left wall, 4:12 , 12' grade to eave, 18" overhang, SOG, 30' Curb to curb, 25' curb to building, ..etc., then snap 1000 photos for scaling, done. Take your graph paper back to the office and draw it up in 3-6 hrs.

I can tell you by looking at a photo the size of your cabinets, the size of your windows..all standard, your plan-checker doesn't care if your 33 window is actually a 3²3.(California energy code does though):)

I can go to a split level hillside home with a laser measure and a tablet and measure the full 2000 sq ft home in 3-5 hours...add another 3-6 hours in CA and you've got an accurate model. ready to go. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SuzysDesigns said:

Melinda did you ever get any clarification on this matter? at my job we use autocad architecture but i wanted to show my boss Chief because that what i use at home. I have a scan of a building we are doing and im trying to figure out a way to import it in Chief. 

Wow! I had no idea this thread was still alive! No, I didn't actually, the Company that promised to send me an example never, ever came through and sad to say, because of the nature of the project it ended up not being necessary. I structured my contract to include a preliminary feasibility and found that although the project was a completely straight forward interior remodel, the County involved (Bay are peeps can guess which one) wanted a whopping $142,000.00 to approach Planning with no guarantees they would say yes. We wanted to take a 10,000 square foot existing residence on 4 acres and split it into 4 apartments in a zone that was defined as one that could accommodate this type of multifamily housing. Go figure when you want to add housing in a County that desperately needs it, they want to $quash the idea. The client elected to not proceed so my impetus to continue pursuing this info wained. Thanks for all the comments! 

Great comment Rene! I agree completely, nada data is not data. I just did a sub contract for an Architect with a preliminary plan with no functional data (I was surprised, no roof slope, ridge heights, you name it, it wasn't there. I like you, can tell the measurements visually from a photo. Lot's of photo reconnaisanse on that project. You are way, way faster than I am though!! 

• 2 months later...

David said he has used matterport for as-built information.  Can you tell me what file type they have that may be able to be imported to Chief Architect.  I have a matterport supplied by a customer on an 11,000 sf multilevel remodel that I would love to use by importing information to Chief.  

Is this still a pipe dream?

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=4BBfzsD4Tve

Thank you all!

I have done many as builts.. I take my laptop and a laser measure to site and input plan on the spot..I set the Temp dimensions to face of drywall.. 

doesn’t take too long.. only real critical dimensions are where cabinets might go.. 

i can draw up a 2000 sq ft two storey inside of an hour.

Have you considered doing this yourself?

Easy, just figure the laser scan will give you a base that you can trace over in Chief.  Basically saving you the time of commuting to the site and doing the measure yourself.  Even if you can convert the scan to Chief you'll most likely spend as much time reviewing and making corrections as if you just traced it.

• 1 year later...
On 1/11/2020 at 6:55 PM, dskogg said:

I have done many as builts.. I take my laptop and a laser measure to site and input plan on the spot..I set the Temp dimensions to face of drywall.. 

doesn’t take too long.. only real critical dimensions are where cabinets might go.. 

i can draw up a 2000 sq ft two storey inside of an hour.

Have you considered doing this yourself?

How in the world can you draw up 2000 sq. ft. in an hour in Chief Architect? Are you inserting exact window and door sizes too? I would love to learn your tips. Thanks

On 9/28/2018 at 2:06 PM, DavidJPotter said:

I have used a service called Matterport  used by a remodeling firm in Plano, Texas (near Dallas). I have found it very helpful for creating "as-built" drawings. I would have to see your suggested firm's data in order to comment further.

DJP

David, do you ever find the Matterport scan inacurate or leaving out critical information/