View Titles Automatic? New CA User

nVisionTEKBIM

Hi everyone, I'm new to CA as of about 2 weeks. I'm an expert Revit user and decided that CA is much better for residential, so am slowly learning it until I can switch software platforms.

Anyways, I can't seem to find anywhere how to have view titles be automatic based on the view that's on the sheet / layout. In Revit the title is attached to the view and you can modify the view title to show the info you want. In CA, I believe that would be some kind of macro. I see macros for plan titles, but not for view titles. 

Is it possible to have a custom view title with scale and bubble? Hopefully we don't have to use text.

Also, I'm trying to develop a working template in CA. My Revit template is perfect so if possible I'd like to copy/paste info in to match as much as I can. Any tips on that are helpful as well.

I use the %layout.title% macro in layout and then enter that information in the Layout Page Information DBX for automatic display on the layout page.  It is not a true link but for use in a template you should be able to work with it.  It also keeps the Project Browser organized by displaying the same information there.

Not sure if copy and paste will work but you should not have any issues transferring in a .dwg format .

Sections and Elevations can be done with a camera call out almost automatically.  You can make it look good but chief is still a little lacking in automation in this regard.   Requests have been made and we are hoping for some of the items to be implemented in X11.

For now I use the Automatic Text Below Line feature of the camera and then fill out the Camera in Layout and use the %layout.label% macro in a call out in layout so it matches the plan view call out.

There are lots of ways to do this.  Personally I use a CAD Block with the text macro %view_name% in the Plan or Section/Elevation view.  I name the view in the Project Browser.

I also include a graphic scale as well as a text scale in that CAD Block.  By storing the CAD Block in the Library I can place it any place and everything is done.

I do not use the Layout Labels - I always suppress them.

I would suggest that you look into Cameras and Camera Defaults in order to understand the basics of What Chief is capable of.  Once you do understand how Chief deals with Camera / Revit Views, then you can choose which method or approach you want to use.

Chief's ways of doing things may seem a bit confusing at first, but there are some interesting things that can be done once you get a handle on it.  Think about this, there are no limits in Chief as to how many times you send Camera Views.  This and some creative use of Layer Sets and Anno Sets makes for some interesting possibilities.

Edit:  While on this subject, notice that when you are in Chief Layout Page / Revit Sheet that in Chief you can slide the Layout Box representing a Camera View off of the Printable area of the page "Outside the Blue Line" and it will not print.  But it is still there for purposes of Cross Referencing.  Try that in Revit and see what you get.

Add that to being able to send any number of Chief Views to as many Layout Pages as you want, and the potential is very powerful.  Remember the old saying "With great power comes great responsibility" as in, it's quite cool, but it is not easy.