Residential Design Contest

mtldesigns

A curiosity question for all you Chief professionals.  How many of you enter Chiefs contest on Facebook or haven't you?  When I first got into Chief (back on X6 I believe), I entered because I thought what a way to get my name out there, and be judged by my peers.  But I found out its more of a Facebook popularity contest.  NOTHING against the participants and winners (I was one myself), nor for Chief to have.  I saw some beautiful-talented work.  And as a winner, I did get great clients and a builder whom I've designed 6 homes for (they saw the postings).  But think about it, most of the votes are tallied by friends and families.  THAT BEING SAID, Please keep the current contest method, because it is cool to show our peeps, but does Chief ever have a more defined contest, with a couple of our fellow peers and CA being the actual judges?  I love that my mom likes my designs, but I want Eric, Chops, and many of you pros to like my designs or give good constructive advise too.    Just thinking out loud here...  

Suggest you go to Houzz.com and check out "Stories and Advice", "Houzz Discussions", "Design Dilemma", there are many posters in this forum that post their projects and plans for advice and critique. It's not very pretty as the sharks swarm in and rip it to shreds. It can get real ugly as the conversation rapidly degrades into personally oriented attacks, even by the so called Pros.

Personally, if you are satisfied with your design work and your clients are also happy then what does it matter what others think. If you are looking to push the envelope then I suggest you Google top Architectural and Design firms and study their work for inspiration and to see how they approached a particular challenge. Even Franklin Lloyd wright did this through his studies and travels as evident in the strong Asian influence in many of his designs.

• Upvote 1

Hmm.  Not that the yummy shark thing does not sound appealing, but I think I will pass.

To be honest I have not entered any of the contests Chief has featured so far.  Not that I would not have liked to, but the window of opportunity has been a bit difficult for me to work into my schedule.

If they would post upcoming contests, say a month in advance, that would make it much easier for me to work on.

I also like the idea of having a contest slash friendly competition where users could decide on a particular plan or plan idea and then people could submit their work.  The main point of this would not so much be to win, or out do others, but to see a variety of approaches to a particular design problem.  Everybody wins this way, and creativity is the central theme.

Again, please allow time for this type of approach to be meaningful.

Two Cents

12 hours ago, mtldesigns said:

A curiosity question for all you Chief professionals.  How many of you enter Chiefs contest on Facebook or haven't you?  When I first got into Chief (back on X6 I believe), I entered because I thought what a way to get my name out there, and be judged by my peers.  But I found out its more of a Facebook popularity contest.  NOTHING against the participants and winners (I was one myself), nor for Chief to have.  I saw some beautiful-talented work.  And as a winner, I did get great clients and a builder whom I've designed 6 homes for (they saw the postings).  But think about it, most of the votes are tallied by friends and families.  THAT BEING SAID, Please keep the current contest method, because it is cool to show our peeps, but does Chief ever have a more defined contest, with a couple of our fellow peers and CA being the actual judges?  I love that my mom likes my designs, but I want Eric, Chops, and many of you pros to like my designs or give good constructive advise too.    Just thinking out loud here...  

I've entered quite a few times, won it a couple of times, it provided a lot of hits to our website. Would love a more refined contest based on a panel, but that would require more than just a single rendering.

I'm not sure that awards and accolades really matter much.  One of my designs won a local award once, and it was cool for a couple of days.  What matters more to me is when I walk inside the finished home and am overwhelmed be the emotion of being in that space.  And when the owners tell me this and write a positive review.

My plans once won "best remodel of the year" from the city, and when the city interview the builder for an article , the builder took all the credit and didn't even mention me but my name was all over the plans. I didn't find out about it until it was done.