How to extend a cabinet side?

M-Ferioli

Hey guys I'm a new Chief Interiors user so please pardon me if this info can easily be found somewhere else, I'm just starting to learn where to find info and how best to learn the software.  I couldn't find my answer in the reference manual but please feel free to point me in the right direction if Im missing something.

Im trying to figure out how to extend one side of a cabinet if the cabinet is pulled off the wall instead of sitting up against it.  Also, is there a way to build a custom cabinet from scratch or manipulate cabinet components beyond what is available in the object specifications, if so is there training for that somewhere?  

I was a cabinet vision user in another life and I know I could code each piece of the cabinet manually in that software, not sure if this software goes that far. 

Thanks,

Mike

Using Interiors X10

Info and parts to do it here

Not so much "code each piece" as adjust those things you can get at to do what you want. Most common thing I use is converting to a cabinet door symbol then using it as a "side panel inset" in the "Front, Side, Back" tab. (can put just about anything into or on or as part of a cabinet that way...5ba941f7458db_dontknowwhy.thumb.png.d267c17920ca62f455b260bf1f45977f.png

NO training on it specificially. Download that plan-open up some of the cabinets Then open some of the individual symbols to see what is going on with them and then read up on custom symbols, stretch plans/zones and symbol origins in the reference manual.

• Like 1

Hoods- download the Stanisci catalog. Also make from cabinets ; make parts as cab door symbols. Medallion and a few others had hood parts as a head start. Learn about "delete surface", search symbol by Alaskan Son, had some hacking videos (may be gone though). 

Mark,

Using your example I have figured out how to add the side extension to the side of the cabinet successfully.  However, when I add it it sits off the floor about the height of the toe kick even though I seem to have all the settings set to the same as you.  Also, changing the height of the symbol works opposite as you would think.  So if I try and make it longer it gets shorter and vice versa.  I'll try and build my own panel so I can try and better understand how this is working, but if you have any ideas please let me know.

Is there a place to make suggestions for software improvements?  Extending a cabinet die should be an option under properties in my opinion, this work around is a bit overly complicated.  At least I'm learning something though. :)

Thanks

4 hours ago, M-Ferioli said:

Using your example I have figured out how to add the side extension to the side of the cabinet successfully.  However, when I add it it sits off the floor about the height of the toe kick even though I seem to have all the settings set to the same as you.

I found learning symbol stretch zones, planes and origins difficult. When doing that I printed out those pages from the reference manual and kept them handy (for several months :)

Note-a useful tool is to have a perspective open, select the symbol in the library (open symbol NOT open object), alter stretch etc, then drag it onto the one that is not doing what you want. If your aim is good it will change though some varieties of symbols that I make can't be gotten at that way-too far embedded in the cabinet or whatever. Works most of the time for instant feedback.

Attached is pic showing relevant settings used on the symbol I included in the plan and why they are the way they are. Origin controls setting to the floor AS LONG as the symbol is set so it can't resize. You need a different symbol for each height and width you want. Keep them in your user library and save the plan used to make (any symbol)-work out a system for symbol plans. You can alter them once made but that gets a little tricky.

5baae5c82f578_ExtendedbackuseinBACK.thumb.png.91865b55784504940f88e5bc06c316cf.png

If for whatever reason you prefer to use the symbol on the side of a cabinet instead of the back the rotation and origins change-stretch zones accordingly. You have to delete the top and bottom rails (separations) from that face first before creating the space for the "side panel inset" symbol. Separations can be added back once that is full height if need be as I had done with the bottom rail at the back on the sample cabinet.

Why use the side instead of the back?

If you are using automatic labels using the back will turn it into a peninsula cabinet

The will list as finished in the side column of the schedule-(I use custom OIP fields for side finishes so that doesn't matter to me)

You are using the back for something else and placing it there complicates things.

Why NOT use the side- mostly if you need to do something different with the side and I find it easier to use the back so do that most of the time.

4 hours ago, M-Ferioli said:

Is there a place to make suggestions for software improvements?  Extending a cabinet die should be an option under properties in my opinion, this work around is a bit overly complicated.  At least I'm learning something though.

There is a suggestion area on the forum or you can send things to support.

FWIW I had asked for this a number of years ago (likely more than once)-before there was a doable hack. I no longer want it as part of Chief-

Sometimes a change in one place leads to unwanted consequences elsewhere....

First-I have a hunch that if it were part of the cabinet it highly likely that in a cabinet schedule depth (or width for extended stiles) would include it as part of the measurement since it would become within the bounding box. I want my cabinets to read -24" side extended 3"- not 27".

Second- I always order extended stiles or sides oversize to be scribed in the field i.e. cabinet set 2" off wall with 3" extended side. Since the symbol resides within the bounding box (but appear outside it in plan) I can do that and slam it against the wall then move it out with arrow key for 2" AND my dimension will read correctly since Chief does not dimension to doors. Then if I need a detail of the cabinet it is all there and provides a reminder to note for installer to scribe. (win all around)

Lastly- I don't need it any more, they made the hack possible a few years ago and it's easy enought. I already have the symbols (keep cabinets with them already attached in library so I don't need to do anything more than "replace from library" . So unless they could allow everything I already have from it I'd oppose it, besides there are more important areas for them to work on IMO.

Mark, Thanks again for all your time responding! 

I went back in and made my own part, saved it, and added it to a fresh cabinet so that I could go through the process start to finish.  Things worked better this time and I gained a better understanding about how each of those fields effects the symbol once placed inside the cabinet.  I'm thinking the ability to create a "part" instead of creating a door panel for everything would be better, maybe less confusing?  I'm more used to building the cabinet with accurate parts instead of fudging things to make them look right, but I'm getting it...slowly. ha!

I made a z-axis change before your last post but it was always off by about a 32nd or so, I dropped the part 4 inches but it wasn't right on for some reason.  Thats why I was asking questions about that.  Making my own part and importing it fresh seemed to have solved that issue for whatever reason so I'm good to go now, thanks.

Your points about an option for it and the schedule are valid.  I still think they could make that enhancement and have an accurate schedule produced, but I get it.  The possibility of one change causing other problems should not stop forward process though, innovation is always needed to stay relevant in this world, IMO.  Your comments certainly made me think though and I would definitely take a poll here before I requested any changes as I respect your opinion and that of all the other users here as well.

Like you said, once I build these cabinets into my library, this won't even be an issue any more.

More playing around and then I'll be back with more questions I'm sure.

Thanks again, you've been a huge help thus far!!

Mike

• Like 1