Delete a layer set I created

Evolution

I am trying to learn Anno - Layer sets, really I am! I spent hours this week-end, watching CA videos and Humble Chief's video he did for me, to help me learn how to set up anno's and corresponding layer sets. During my highest times of frustration I rested, but the rest of the time I watched videos until my eyes burned!

I may be interpreting it all wrong, but I thought you set up your layer set, then your anno?  But when I attempted to set up the anno's I couldn't change them to match my layer.  I set up a new plan, copied my existing plan, and pasted it into my new plan. I'm using it to practice setting up Anno's and Layers. After I copied a layer set, Changed it to my reflected ceiling set, I open the active default anno to set it up to the new reflected ceiling set, then everything goes haywire.  It appeared if I set the anno set up first, then I can go back to layer sets, copy the set I used to set my anno set up from, then change it's name to the same name I used for my new anno set, but of course it says I already have a layer with that name, so I tried to delete it. I followed the KB help file, but for some reason it won't let me delete the layer I set up even though I highlight it first?   I can highlight any of the others and the delete option is not grayed out. 

ANNO VS LAYER.PNG

CA KB DELETE LAYER SET.PNG

DELETE LAYER SET.PNG

OTHER LAYER SET DELET OPTION.PNG

SF2 RCP.plan

I create new PLAN SETS all the time.......  believe me,  they all have a purpose......  I strongly suggest you adapt using PLAN SETS if you have not already,  and understand that each PLAN SET should have a unique ANNO SET,  LAYER SET and REF SET.

The PLAN SET is created after the other 3 sets are created.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HumbleChief said:

Maybe a little more clarity...

...and you don't have to 'copy' an existing Anno Set you can choose new...

I think I did it correctly Larry. Thanks for taking your time (as precious as it is) to make the video.  Now to add to this, I went back and looked at your other video of a few days back to see how to change the cad layer, at about 9:56 in the video is the key to changing CAD layer info.  I was doing that incorrectly. But now, I'm starting to get it straight!

This video has really been a great tool for me.  I know I've watched it a hundred times! I still think something isn't quite jiving, and since I'm still trying to learn this, I changed each item (layer for each Cad, text etc.) and I'll give it a try on my practice plan. It's still a time consuming process setting all this up for each anno - layer set.

ANNO FOR EACH ITEM CHANGE TO LAYER SET.PNG

ANNO FOR EACH ITEM CHANGE.PNG

35 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Yes PLAN VIEWS are probably one the best features Chief has implemented in a long time. I would suggest you understand Anno and Layer Sets before diving in to PLAN VIEWS but your call of course.

SCOTT, right now, I DO need to learn Anno - layer set, so I can set them up without so much confusion. I hope I can stay up to speed on everything. I'm afraid though, when my next big project kicks off (starting up with bid packages now) I'll have to get back into the Sr PM roll and won't have as much (as little) time. So, for now plan sets will have to wait! Thanks for your input too Scott, and Mark! you guys are the BOMB! I hope you know I'll use what I'm learning from you, to help someone else if ever that opportunity presents itself.

6 minutes ago, Evolution said:

...It's still a time consuming process setting all this up for each anno - layer set.

Remember this all needs to be done only once for each new Anno/Layer Set as they are plan specific. Meaning once you get Anno/Layer Sets set up you can save that plan as a template and you're done - until you find a need for another Anno/Layer Set which you will, then save that as a template etc..

3 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Remember this all needs to be done only once for each new Anno/Layer Set as they are plan specific. Meaning once you get Anno/Layer Sets set up you can save that plan as a template and you're done - until you find a need for another Anno/Layer Set which you will, then save that as a template etc..

Larry, that is the next thing I have to do a better job at is building templates to re-use as much as possible! For another day and time!

if you use the SAM method like Scott does, you do not need to keep up with the templates and update them, you simply just start the new drawing with an old one, then erase what you need to and start drawing. I don't use the sam personally but I can see how it eliminates some drawing time with setup.  I actually get away using maybe 15 annosets and 15 layersets , using the SAM method you can see how those guys have many many layer and annosets, they just build up and it's too much for me ,so I stick with using 1 template and work off of that.  My brain just can't handle hundreds of anno's and layersets. Those guys seem to be doing fine with it. Whatever floats your boat is good.

4 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

f you use the SAM method like Scott does, you do not need to keep up with the templates and update them, you simply just start the new drawing with an old one, then erase what you need to and start drawing. I don't use the sam personally but I can see how it eliminates some drawing time with setup.  I actually get away using maybe 15 annosets and 15 layersets , using the SAM method you can see how those guys have many many layer and annosets, they just build up and it's too much for me ,so I stick with using 1 template and work off of that.  My brain just can't handle hundreds of anno's and layersets. Those guys seem to be doing fine with it. Whatever floats your boat is good.

Perry, I think for now, I'm going to use the SAM as well until I get a better handle and understanding of setting up and using Anno's and Layers. One thing I learned from Larry Hawes (watch those videos he made for me a thousand time, seriously) and my latest attempt at them seems to be working accordingly, you have to watch it when you're switching from one Anno/Layer to another (as my attached screen shots show) to be sure your annos and layers match. 

CHECK ANNO ARE TURNED ON.PNG

CORRECTED.PNG

GOT TO CHECK IT ALL.PNG

MECH SET.PNG

RCP SET.PNG

Just a tip regarding ANNO Sets.  

If/when you create your own ANNO SET I would always make sure it's pointing to a specific LAYER SET.  If you use a Chief OOB ANNO SET...you better make sure it is pointing to a specific LAYER SET also...some of the OOB ANNO SETS default to "Use Active Layer Set"....which means the last layer set you were using is still the "active" layer set. 

If I were you...I'd open one of Chiefs OOB templates...save it as your own template...give it any name you want...or something basic like "My Residential Plan Template"....then modify the defaults, then create the layer sets you know you use in every plan set, then create your ANNO Sets and point them to these specific layer sets.  You can always export layer and anno sets from a plan you have been working on...and import them into your template plan.  I just think it's a better method when you are just starting to wade into the wacky world of ANNO SETS.

When you learn to use plan views...you will love them.  The best thing about them really is that you can assign specific "REF SETS" to each PLAN VIEW.  This is nice when you are sending views to layout and you want to shown things that are on a different floor level. 

Just my two cents...good luck.  It's an adventure for sure.

Always good advice Steve,

Key to all of this ANNonsense is that Anno Sets drive Layer Sets, not the other way around. Big discussion on the benefits of each but Anno driving Layers won out.

I almost never select a Layer Set independently of an Anno Set. Takes a LOT of repetition and muscle memory to remember every time but change your views through Anno Sets NOT Layer Sets, it will keep you sane.

27 minutes ago, SNestor said:

Just a tip regarding ANNO Sets.  

If/when you create your own ANNO SET I would always make sure it's pointing to a specific LAYER SET.  If you use a Chief OOB ANNO SET...you better make sure it is pointing to a specific LAYER SET also...some of the OOB ANNO SETS default to "Use Active Layer Set"....which means the last layer set you were using is still the "active" layer set. 

If I were you...I'd open one of Chiefs OOB templates...save it as your own template...give it any name you want...or something basic like "My Residential Plan Template"....then modify the defaults, then create the layer sets you know you use in every plan set, then create your ANNO Sets and point them to these specific layer sets.  You can always export layer and anno sets from a plan you have been working on...and import them into your template plan.  I just think it's a better method when you are just starting to wade into the wacky world of ANNO SETS.

When you learn to use plan views...you will love them.  The best thing about them really is that you can assign specific "REF SETS" to each PLAN VIEW.  This is nice when you are sending views to layout and you want to shown things that are on a different floor level. 

Just my two cents...good luck.  It's an adventure for sure.

Steve, anything and everything I can learn from you guys is GOOD STUFF! The "Use Active Layer Set, I WISH CA could fix it so, that wouldn't happen, but I just have to learn to be more attentive to that little nuance!

Thanks for all the good help!

16 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Always good advice Steve,

Key to all of this ANNonsense is that Anno Sets drive Layer Sets, not the other way around. Big discussion on the benefits of each but Anno driving Layers won out.

I almost never select a Layer Set independently of an Anno Set. Takes a LOT of repetition and muscle memory to remember every time but change your views through Anno Sets NOT Layer Sets, it will keep you sane.

I'm learning Larry! Keep prodding me along, and I'll make it.  

The "Use Active Layer Set, I WISH CA could fix it so, that wouldn't happen

I think CA's OOB anno-sets are meant to be "generic" such that they are set for certain size or fonts etc defaults

and used across the various layersets as such

From a long ago discussion I got the impression CA didn't think it was necessary to have 40+ anno-sets

Caveat: I don't use anno-sets or plan-sets as I retired in 2012 about the time X4 was released with anno-sets

and for my limited usage of Chief for my personal historical preservation projects they seem to be "a set too far..."

I can see their benefits IF I was still in business -  but ....

Lew

1 hour ago, lbuttery said:

...From a long ago discussion I got the impression CA didn't think it was necessary to have 40+ anno-sets

I'm pretty sure you're right Lew, and there's a technique hidden in the Anno/Layer Set madness that allows for that but I started down the road with a gillion Anno/Layer Sets and can't get off it with the habits I've formed over many years.

Just looking at the third picture in the first post shows what the problem is.

The reason you can't delete the "Reflected Ceiling Set" in the Layer Set Management dialog is because it is the active layer set for the current view.  It shows you this in the lower part of the dialog.  Select a different active layer set and then the delete button should be enabled.

You also won't be able to delete the "Reference Display Layer Set" for similar reasons.

For all other layer sets, the delete button should be enabled and you will get a message explaining when you can't delete it if it is being used somewhere else in the plan that is less obvious.