Help with basement access stairs

GeneDavis

Trying to help a builder friend with a project, file attached.

Rooms are not labeled yet, but the mudroom should be evident between house and garage.  Owner wants to access basement from the mudroom.  The plan is not mine, the owner has an architect that drew it exactly as I modeled it, not realizing the stairs he drew won't work.

Floor system entire main floor is a combo of 11-7/8 I-joists with 3/4 OSB sheathing, and then a 3" concrete slab that will be ground and polished.  Think terrazzo.

The large room with the floor pit is a gym with one of those endless exercise swim pools.

If you can redraw things to stair-access the basement from that mudroom area, we'd be much obliged.

MirrorLake.plan

That area , especially in the Basement is going to need a redesign as even switching the UPstairs to opposite the Front Door and adding a left turn landing doesn't give you the head room required to get under them....and I needed to alter the basement foundation to get this far , which means point loads , bearing walls etc are likely screwed up too.

Capture1.thumb.JPG.9cae7ebe448eaf214fdc64dba146ee24.JPG

Yes, of course it is the architect's job to solve this.  He's not very creative, though.  Does not work in 3D, uses an old version of ACAD to do condocs.

I think there's a wealth of creative talent here and am hoping for a good lead.

For more grins from this plan, look at the window in the staircase.  I asked how that was supposed to work, got no reply.

There is no way to make a stairway down to the basement from this location while maintaining the existing structure and foundation as you show it.  Several things would need to be drastically changed.in order to get access to both the basement and to the main floor.

Knowing the function of the various spaces as well as the exact foundation in that area will be critical to coming up with a solution.  Even then, it might be extremely expensive.

The thread got started with me hauling the laptop to the little 1885 library in the village, where there's Wifi.

I've no web access here except for the smartphone, so I'll try this.

It's new construction, property acquired.  The owner owns other properties, and is not overly hands-on.  No digging yet, but winter is coming, and a start is imminent.

The room that's a gym with pool is the large one with the vaulted ceiling.  That adjacent space is a half bath and sauna.  I just didn't show the doors.

The adjacent spaces in the house are the kitchen at front, dining toward rear.  From the dining area one looks two ways through triple panel glass doors: out back in wooded yard, amd into gym/pool room.

From garage, one enters a laundry room, then one proceeds through a closet area (this is in a winter sports town) and then into the mudroom area with its outside entry.

Even though there will be a staircase down to the unfinished  basement (storage and mechanicals only) the architect has been directed to provide a second basement access here in this area of everyday common usage.

Eric's probably on to the best idea, moving the Mudroom wall Forward , maybe even as far as Flush with the room to the left , would allow enough room for his Stair or Mine I think especially, if you come up out of the garage with 4 Risers not 5 to the Mudroom level.

You may need to Vault the Ceiling in the Mudroom for headroom on the Stairs going UP either that or change the Roof lines/ceiling height as well.

M.