System Speed Tricks / Tips

AmandaBrady

I'm hopeful someone can give some insight before I go hunting down a computer tech in my area that can help. 

Here's my system: 

THREADRIPPER 1950X 3.40 GHz (16 Cores) 32GB DDR4 240GB SSD 3TB NVIDIA GTX 1080Ti 11GB 802.11AC WiFi Win10 Home 64-bit

Prior to this I had an MSI laptop that was well outfitted. The gentleman who recommended this new current system suggested it should be noticeably faster running Chief X10. He recommended going with more cores than I had on the laptop and a few other things that I can't remember (it's a bit greek to me). 

Anyways - I feel like I maybe don't have the machine optimized for the 3D Portion. It's painfully slow to load camera views, to move around in 3D, even in line drawing, and from the very outset of a file when there are only simple walls and floors. 

I found the wayfair catalogue and a few other catalogues would bog down the file when I used pieces of content so I haven't even installed them onto this one yet. 

It's slow even loading the menu screens in addition to being slow in 3D. 

Any info is greatly appreciated -- I have been looking through the files but finding mostly suggestions on minimum requirements and this system seems to have a lot higher specs than recommended. Which then leads me to believe I have some settings in the computer not optimized, or in the program. 

Your hardware specs are well above the minimum required and as such your performance should be about as good as it gets. The fact that you are experiencing slowness with camera related functions could indicate that your 1080TI graphics card may not be properly assigned to CA, especially if your system also has an integrated on board graphics chip.

Regardless of system power, CA will naturally slow down as plan complexity increases. How large is the plan and how many surfaces does it have to deal with. If you post your plan others could test it to see if they experience similar slowness, this would tell you if it's something in your plan and not your system.

The other issue could be that there is some program running in the background that's consuming your CPU. Suggest opening up the Windows Task Manger, it will show each active process and the % CPU load. When idle this should be no more than about 2%. You can watch this to see the CPU loading when performing operations, it will also show your Graphics card loading. The graphics card usage will also show in the case your system also has an integrated chip if it is using it all or some of the time. With an integrated chip it will show as GPU 0 and your discrete 1080 TI will show as GPU 1, If you 1080 TI is set properly it will only show GPU 1.

• Like 1

I have seen a few reports of the Threadripper CPUs being unexpectedly slow , but as I don't have one have not looked into it more , one suggestion though would be to check the 32GB of  DDR4 Ram is  Certified for use with ThreadRipper and your particular Motherboard if this was a custom built system?

Google Search on Threadripper 1950X being slow

I had a quick look at CLX (Cybertron) and aren't sure of your exact specs but a system similar to yours with an AMD Threadripper 1950X is speccing Intel compatible RAM so it maybe worth looking into more as the Timings maybe wrong...

https://www.cybertronpc.com/clx/kits/gmset0000015mk/configure

https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE®-LPX-8GB-(2x4GB)-DDR4-DRAM-2400MHz-C14-Memory-Kit---Black/p/CMK8GX4M2A2400C14

Cameras can take 1-2 secs to open ( textures loading) but after that everything should be pretty smooth especially with your config... hmmmm looks liked you changed some specs above while I was typing :)   ie 1080 not a 1080ti

*** found a number of reports saying to disable HPET , it fixed their issues , like this one

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/844464-threadripper-1950x-sluggish-performance/?do=findComment&comment=10535404

and

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=278979&sid=df85357d7c7ba12baed6a597035038cc#p278979

Another consideration is that the 1950X CPU is not the fastest when it comes to single threaded performance. CA is a mixed bag with some multi-thread optimization and single threaded operations. The only true multi-core function in CA is RayTrace.

When you open up a camera view CA has to build the model before sending it to your GPU, this is CPU based so no matter how powerful your GPU is it will be of no help until your CPU is finished. This will also occur every time you make a change to your 3D model, CA must process the change and then update the GPU. As model complexity increases the time to process increases. As mention, if you open up the Windows Task Manger you can see this happening, just watch the CPU and GPU % usage levels and when they occur.