Active Display Option Page Font Size

PLANsLLC123

To All,

I would like to know if there is an option to change the font size in the Active Display Option Menu?  

The panel size is fine working in my office on my 32" Monitor, but I begun the practice of taking my laptop to the client's home for design presentations and make revisions, as needed, on-the-spot.  However, invariably, I need to turn off 'Rafters', or some other display for presentation clarity, but I am unable to see the various options on the Menu without pulling the laptop close enough to see options, then, pushing it back so everyone can see the screen.

I tried grabbing 'minimizing' the screen then pulling corner 'handles' to enlarge, but the font size stays the same.

Any ideas?

(In case it does not show up after my signature, I am running CA X9)

I look forward to your feedback.

Tim

Unfortunately Chief Uses Windows standard Program settings for Menus etc , you can change them but the Change is system wide.

If you want to play with it Advanced System Font Changer at Wintools is a handy portable App but as far as I know Win10 is bringing back the ability to Change Fonts (as there was alot of complaints,) so we have the same control as we did in Win7.  the Icon size is what changes the size in the ALDO or Library etc , Menu size is for Menus :)  etc....

https://www.wintools.info/index.php/advanced-system-font-changer

For now, I am considering getting a separate monitor to set out for the group, but have the laptop close to me.  The practice of 'walking through' the plan has been a hit, along with the added bonus of 'real time' renovation, has worked well and a practice I plan to continue.  I just wanted to make sure there was not an easy way to enlarge font, before I went to the expense.

Thanks again,

Tim

17 minutes ago, PLANsLLC123 said:

For now, I am considering getting a separate monitor to set out for the group, but have the laptop close to me.  The practice of 'walking through' the plan has been a hit, along with the added bonus of 'real time' renovation, has worked well and a practice I plan to continue.  I just wanted to make sure there was not an easy way to enlarge font, before I went to the expense.

Thanks again,

Tim

Hi Tim, most Clients have a 40-50" TV in the living Room these days, did you consider a HDMI/DP cable to it , instead of another monitor....?

***FYI..........   If you use Desktop Icons and change font sizes , spacings etc , it will screwup you desktop layout too....

M.

I been bringing along the older version of this DisplayLink Monitor to meetings for a long time now.

https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/MB16AC/

Thin, light, no power needed. plug and play by USB.

I've considered connecting via wireless to clients TVs but most often the meeting is in the dining room. I have a MS wireless dongle and most smart tvs and Roku type devices allow connection BUT you have to be on the same network so I don't ask.

Asus announced a 21" OLED version earlier in the year but no news since then and cost could be

I use WinAero  Tweaker to mess with fonts but it has limits as Mick noted.

30 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

I been bringing along the older version of this DisplayLink Monitor to meetings for a long time now.

I've considered connecting via wireless to clients TVs but most often the meeting is in the dining room. I have a MS wireless dongle and most smart tvs and Roku type devices allow connection BUT you have to be on the same network so I don't ask.

Asus announced a 21" OLED version earlier in the year but no news since then and cost could be

Interesting Idea , I see AOC makes some too like the I1659FWUX , may not be as good as an Asus though ...

This is easy to do on a Mac - Windows my have something similar.

You can set up a small zoom window around the cursor that is toggled on and off by a keyboard shortcut - looks like it would be perfect for what you want.

It is under Accessibility...Zoom on the Mac.

PS

I just had a look on a Windows machine and it has something similar.

Have a look at Settings...Magnifier.

There are various options like enlarge the whole screen, an area around the cursor, etc. 

The shortcut to toggle on is the Windows key and + and Windows key and - to toggle off.

It could be worth a look.

• Upvote 1

Glenn,

That's a game-changing suggestion, thank you.  I messed with the Magnifier settings, which work as you describe, and pinned the 'Magnifier' icon to my taskbar.  The function works to enlarge the categories of options on the Active Display Option dropdown. 

I may still invest in the extra monitor that Mark suggested, just so I have more screen area to set various views of the project(s) for clients to see all at once...so they can see the full power of CA on display...oh, and make some decisions about their projects too.

Thank you for all the help and suggestions.

Tim 

4 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Thanks Mick, I was having a hard time viewing my 42 " monitor b/c windows fonts were to grey, so I tried it out and now I can draw another 20 years, thank you very much for sharing this app. I'll never forget you.

Hi P , I guess those Fonts really were bothering you :) , but you are right Win10 Font's these days seem a little "grey" to me too. Was that the only issue or was it the size in Win10 too?   at 40" I assuming you use windows scaling at 150%-200% too? or is your 40" only FHD ? (1920x1080)

I really wish Chief would let us use our own Fonts and custom Sizes rather than the system wide ones , I have Menus at 14 which works well but I don't really want Icons Text at 14 so the ALSO and Library are easier to read as it also affects All windows Apps (Explorer) and Desktop Icons too.

The Same guy who made ASFC also makes another App called ColorClassic which lets you change the Color of many of Windows' other elements like ScrollBars and Buttons etc.

Windows now lets you turn scrollbars back on permanently ( Settings>Ease of Access>Display ) which was another that annoyed me personally having used a mouse with no scroll wheel for years. I did read a while back we will get more Text Options in Redstone5 , the next big Windows update in Oct. but who knows for sure.

Mick, my eyes are just getting old. I did increase the text size to 14 and now much better. I really don't care for setting everything to 150
% thru windows with Chief as it changes everything including my drawing space, much better just to enlarge the menus and change them to a bold text.. My monitor is just a 1920x1080 and have been thinking a 4k if it would help (not sure). Thanks for the help.

2 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Mick, my eyes are just getting old. I did increase the text size to 14 and now much better. I really don't care for setting everything to 150
% thru windows with Chief as it changes everything including my drawing space, much better just to enlarge the menus and change them to a bold text.. My monitor is just a 1920x1080 and have been thinking a 4k if it would help (not sure). Thanks for the help.

Same Issue here P. been wearing Glasses for 10yrs bit longer for Reading. I tried a 4k TV and it was no good for me everything was too small, eg Desktop Icons, even at 200% scaling , so I returned it and got the BenQ 2560x1440p monitor in my SIG ( newer model now) and have been happy with them at 125% scaling , in fact I have since added another using Visa Points. I actually still have one of my old 23" 1080p monitor running as well and also run it at 125% so the scaling is similar to the other monitors.

Win10 now handles 4K better than it used to and most (all?) newer programs support scaling now so 4K maybe okay these days.

I think Win10 at 1080p is recommended to use 100% scaling ? Hopefully in Win10R% we will have a few more Options like we had in Win7, but because I use Chief Full Screen I really like them to give us Control over the Text size in the Library and ALDO just like they do for the Materials list.

M.

4 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I did not know that you can't use the 1920 as a second monitor, so what you are saying is I have to buy 2 new 4k  monitors?

I am just suggesting that you may want both monitors to be 4K after seeing the difference.

Also, it took a little fooling with the settings to get the text and icons the way I wanted them... well worth the effort, imho.

7 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I did not know that you can't use the 1920 as a second monitor, so what you are saying is I have to buy 2 new 4k  monitors?

Might be worth considering 2 x 32" 1440p Monitors , you should find line-work etc crisper than on a TV LCD, (which aren't designed to be viewed so closely) the newer model of mine the BenQ PD3200Q  gets good reviews , it also come in a 2160P  (4K) version but is more expensive.  MarkMc got the 27" version a while back and really likes it too AFAIK.

https://xsreviews.co.uk/reviews/benq-pd3200q-review-a-giant-1440p-monitor-for-creatives/

looks like in the US it is the same Price Direct as on Amazon etc currently....

https://www.benqdirect.com/pd3200q.html

though I got mine at BestBuy for the easy local return if needed, perhaps you can even check one out there?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/benq-designer-pd3200q-32-led-qhd-monitor-black/5713590.p?skuId=5713590&intl=nosplash

M.

On 9/21/2018 at 2:01 PM, MarkMc said:

Mark,

Just an FYI follow-up...I researched and went with the Asus MB 169B+...which features the 11 x 17 screen.  Should be arriving tomorrow...anxious to try it out.  Looked around for the 21", but no luck yet.

Thanks for pointing me in this direction.

Tim