Connecting Lines after Transform/Replicate

solver

ct1.thumb.jpg.1c4e5121c85ff4a93fb5769eef2b95b9.jpg

A question was asked about placing an image on siding so it appeared realistic (painted on).

My suggestion was a molding profile like is shown on the left in the image above.

I drew the 2 line segment shown on the right, then used Transform/Replicate to copy it and move down, in an attempt to create connected line segments.

What I get is a repeat of the 2 segment profile, but none are connected.

I've tried other things, including making the line segments longer so they would cross, but that did not work.

I can manually join things, but is there a way to have the program automatically do it?

Siding Profile Test 1.plan

Mark,  Is TM Transform/Replicate ?   Last time I was working on that exact same situation I managed to crash the program about 4 times in a row.  I think there is a random glitch hidden here somewhere.

Eric,  Do you have Connect Cad Segments toggled on ?

Ok interesting, I think there has been an issue with the Connect Cad Segments tool for a few versions now.  They did make some changes I think it was for X10 but it is still not right.  Sometimes it makes no difference if it is toggled on or off and can get stuck in either mode.  Tech does not have it nailed down yet so if you observe it and are able to document that would really help.

14 minutes ago, johnny said:

Man I wish we could use profiles for the finish wall layer....

That is what we are doing here but there are some other issues when setting up your profiles. But if you do then you will even get a proper section view.

Joe,  Is there a way to use material regions for other than flat raised surfaces or is that what you are suggesting ?

4 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Joe,  Is there a way to use material regions for other than flat raised surfaces or is that what you are suggesting ?

Only flat surfaces work (Walls and Floors).  But you can stack more than one to get a composite.  You can also set them to cut the surface layer of the wall or floor.

For things like shingles or shakes on walls - bump maps work fairly well to give some depth.

For Roofs (Mission Tile) I use symbols with a distribution region.

Eric Thanks for the video,  When I got to that point I used the Intersect/Join Two Lines tool with an assigned hot key but I got into trouble on one occasion that repeatedly crashed the software doing it.  

Hopefully Mark will comment as it seems it worked for him some way.

9 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

I used the Intersect/Join Two Lines tool with an assigned hot key but I got into trouble on one occasion that

I used transform replicate to copy multiples, then after group selecting all, used "Closed Polyline" not Intersect Join.

CLose polyline.png

17 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

I used transform replicate to copy multiples, then after group selecting all, used "Closed Polyline" not Intersect Join.

Ok that works for me.  However when adding a backer like in Eric's video I run into the same issues as he did.

17 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Hopefully Mark will comment as it seems it worked for him some way.

Fiddled this morning, making me crazy, not working then

Select, transform replicates 8 copies-move 8", while selected   SELECT ALL PARTS, "Close Polyline", while selected POLYLINE UNION.(guess I forgot the last part)

Thought I did it all while still selected but no-if you do that you lose the bottom section, have to reselect the whole stack

added recording

https://zoom.us/recording/share/9lJNFLTrzrmQBgf0CTAbwzyaKLg2_UXszMuJBrw6bqywIumekTziMw?startTime=1537624458000

1 hour ago, solver said:

I was expecting the program to automatically connect the replicated parts together.

I was too and as mentioned was about to post that I couldn't either, thought of this while posting, tested, rewrote post-moved on but obviously missed exactly what I did the first time. must have retried 30 times before I got it.:blink:

That method works by closing each individual zigzag and then combining each triangle to form one object (poly union).

Note that there is no depth at the throat of each zigzag.

What if you really want some depth at the throat of each triangle like Eric was trying to do.

I would select each zigzag and click on the end grip to join it to the next zigzag - this joins each individual zigzag polyline to the next - the obvious disadvantage is that you need to do one at a time.

32 minutes ago, glennw said:

What if you really want some depth at the throat of each triangle like Eric was trying to do.

Actually I had fiddled with that (accidently) ...

after making the copies just extend the bottom line a little, add a vertical, then top it off-select the entire and tell it to close polyline, then go and do the polyline union to clean it up.

Earlier today I'd tried making it a p-solid so that it could be adjusted to terrain-turned out a bit tricky- at first I had to offset the copies to one side a smidge from each other or get the overlap message when converting. Later worked out the above. Odd thing is though that even though it looks like an single piece it acts like multiples psolids (You can select and move each section) and boolean operations don't work. Once converted to a solid then the booleans work.

Siding with thickness.png

Solid siding subtracted.png

• Like 1

Mark, You are on the right track with the Solids.  I just finished a project where that turned out to be a far superior and faster method than moldings because of the windows and gable wall configurations.  I was able to make fast work with the line work generated from an elevation view cad detail for each wall.

So is the failure of the lines to join a rounding error in Chief ?

This does occur in Autocad because of the AutoCAD uses 64 bit precision and the points are near each other but not an exact match or a computation is not exact.

.We overcome this while programing by using a fuzz factor, a + or minus number to make the point s match.

http://autodesk.blogs.com/between_the_lines/2004/01/more_on_64bit_p.html

https://www.cad-notes.com/troubleshoot-when-autocad-is-not-accurate/

I just think this failure is a bug in Chief.