Rough Opening Defaults

Maurice

Been adjusting rough opening defaults for windows doors etc to a smaller amount 5mm as we mainly have brick veneer walls here and from outside we get gaps around recessed windows/doors to brick openings in elevations. When you block a full length window and a door together it adds top and bottom value all to the opening top which is annoying also ie no room at bottom.

But I cant find anywhere to change default rough opening for masonry fireplaces, looks strange having a 50mm gap around fireplace in brickwork on elevations, am I missing where this is possible or am I stuck changing it each time fireplace is inserted in wall ?

Hi Maurice,

I would verify your window and door default is set to recess to sheathing not to main layer.

Also look at the wall set up for your brick. mainly look at the air gap thats behind the brick. the default brick wall is set at 1" or (25.4mm) :) with a 3" thick brick.

Is this accurate in the field? Seams a bit large to me. I would think its in actuality about 3/8"-1/2" drainage plane. 

Maybe someone else with masonry experience can chime in.

Main point is make sure your model is set up to real world materials and sizes. Make copies of the texture/ material and rezise it to meet your needs.

Hopefully this will make it look accurate in 3d.

found a picture of brick in millimeters, is this the common size in your area?

regards,

Michael

post-130-0-31949200-1409225103_thumb.jpeg

You misunderstood the gap is along wall not depth ie  for recessed windows and doors if say window is 1800 and you add a 20mm gap for rough opening it also does it for the brick veneer so brick opening is 1840 so you see 20mm gap either side that is why rough opening has to be reduced for elevations

For Fireplaces there appears to be no where, where you can get rid of rough opening in defaults just on insertion, so you get a 50mm gap between wall and brick fireplace until removed

Sounds like you found a bug . you should report it.... there is already a known bug I think with brick walls and how the Casings are generated.

just checked and you are right , the 1/2 gap around the windows is there in 6" brick walls but not the siding one I just drew.... in elevations

M.