multiple roof designs in same plan

jgeisjr

Is it possible to have multiple roof designs in the same plan? Such as to show a client what their house would look like with a gable style roof and the same floor plan with a hip style roof all in the same model? I'm not quite sure how to approach the problem. I'm drawing for a small development and the client wants to build the same plan with three different roof designs. It would be advantageous to keep it in the same model for editing and revision purposes.

Jack

Stevensville, Mt.

since v3.5 1995

Chief Premier  X8, X9, X10

Windows 10, 32 GB, Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 - 4 GB

You would likely be better to have separate plan files for each roof configuration.  However I think you could have several styles in the same file if you manually built them all or at least the revised versions and used transform and replicate to move them on and off site say 250' away so they were not in the way. You could even have them set up to be spaced evenly apart and select all roof planes and one move could make a complete switch.

How would it work if you put the different designs on different layers and just turned them on and off I haven't tried it just a thought or as Chopsaw said I would draw the plan and save them as roof 1, roof 2, etc this way you can have each roof design open at the same time to show your client

3 hours ago, chief58 said:

How would it work if you put the different designs on different layers and just turned them on and off I haven't tried it just a thought or as Chopsaw said I would draw the plan and save them as roof 1, roof 2, etc this way you can have each roof design open at the same time to show your client

But how would the attic walls know which roofs to extend to?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Richard_Morrison said:

But how would the attic walls know which roofs to extend to?

Richard I must be misunderstanding him, I was thinking he wanted a gable roof and then a hip roof in the same area's and the walls would be at the same height to where the roof would start

Here is a solution.  You can have multiple roof planes, and have some on a different layer.  You can make some of them invisible.  This isn't the case of two roof styles but rather a way of turning off the new roof plane to expose the new roof rafters.  It is entirely possible to have more than one roof plane over the same roof area by manually drawing the planes.

5ba11d9e8e9e9_invisibleroof1.thumb.jpg.bc998c2686fb7d6747c48538424fb040.jpg5ba11d9f724d2_invisibleroof2.thumb.jpg.7ae9ac8edf516e72a8f16ee0cd23311d.jpg

Thanks for all the responses. What I'm trying to avoid is having a handful of options to the same floor plan. If I had 3, 4 5, or six different plan options I would hate the idea of editing that many plans if there was a small floor plan change. All the layout files as well. I'm just trying to simplify things.........

Jack

Stevensville, Mt.

since v3.5 1995

9-16 joost ALL GABLE.jpg

9-16 joost GABLE-HIP.jpg

9-16 joost HIP.jpg

Editing a bunch of plans can be a bit of work but the Layout should update without much effort or even automatically. Can't see a way around copy/paste any floor plan changes from one plan to another. Your desire to have a single plan with multiple roofs would be cool but Chief just won't play along I'm afraid.

Copy and place/hold position each roof onto an empty file.  Then Import each back to the working file, and offset each by x-1000 inches from each other.  Place each roof on its own layer, and create a layer set for each roof example.  Create a master layer set just with the roofs, and shift them over 1000" to demonstrate each roof.

I think this all depends on the complexity of the plan though.  For simple plans you may get away with it, but for more complex you may need a different file.  I'd suggest if you needed a separate file for each roof design, only use that file for elevations and roof plans, and maybe cross sections.  Use the main plan file for all your floorplans/framing plans etc (aside from roof framing if you do that.)

If the changes to the roofs are significant enough that doing it all in one plan file is impractical, I'd suggest telling your client that multiple roof options come at an extra fee for each one.  If it means more work for you it means more money for him.

Would having multiple different roof types in the same plan file wreck havoc with an accurate Material Take-Off List?

I would be inclined to create a separate model for each style of similar home so that such things would more accurately represent the project.

Best of luck with whichever way you take things.

The alternate designs would probably be for visualization for the client to choose an option.  Before executing a framing command the alternate designs should be deleted. First though save the design file as some other name just in case. 

Just thinking out loud.