Related to Material Lists, I think......

CarpenterCurt

I have actually searched for this topic and do not seem to find anything.  When putting an estimate together with the materials lists how does Chief orient the drywall?(if at all)  In the real world it all depends on the situation and whether it is commercial or residential.  I am trying to get the materials lists as accurate as possible so there is less take off work to do in the end.  If I switch from 8'  to 12' sheets does the program lay them out horizontally and get a sheet count, or does it just take the total square feet and divide it into sheets that way depending on what is on the wall layer materials selection?  My guess is the latter since I have not seen any option or toggle anywhere.  Thanks in advance.

7 hours ago, CarpenterCurt said:

I have actually searched for this topic and do not seem to find anything.  When putting an estimate together with the materials lists how does Chief orient the drywall?(if at all)  In the real world it all depends on the situation and whether it is commercial or residential.  I am trying to get the materials lists as accurate as possible so there is less take off work to do in the end.  If I switch from 8'  to 12' sheets does the program lay them out horizontally and get a sheet count, or does it just take the total square feet and divide it into sheets that way depending on what is on the wall layer materials selection?  My guess is the latter since I have not seen any option or toggle anywhere.  Thanks in advance.

CA only includes in the ML what is exactly in the Model and by default the program only uses 4' x 8' sheets , it is not smart enough to know to use a 10' or 12' on those length walls or Ceilings , so you would need to do that yourself in every room , same goes if you want to use 54" drywall for 9' stud homes, ie you need to assign 54" Drywall in the Model. Drywall is not one of the Default Materials you can assign beforehand AFAIK eg say if you wanted 54" sheets used throughout. I think is runs drywall horizontally though as that is the standard in Nth America.

The sheet Count is actually just the square footage divided by 32 sqft (4x8 sheet) , or was the last time I checked , might be okay for a base price quote but not good enough to hand to a Sub.

You could change or use multiple Wall Definitions to use 8' sheets, 10' sheets, 12' sheets etc I guess if the information is really needed.  YOu can also Change ALL ceilings for a Floor to use 12' sheets in the Ceiling Defaults for the Floor but that's not a great help as all ceilings are not 12'

Note the ML does not allow waste automatically or ANY of the small items needed like Nails , glue, caulk etc , ie not in the model = not in the ML.

M.