Log Cabin Rendering

Doug_N

Has anyone done a log cabin?  I have a client that I am designing a deck and would like to do a rendering of the proposal.  

2018-09-14_14-08-56.thumb.jpg.3fdaa6c16ad5e49743f89ec9f59c5c0a.jpg

Here is a photo of the client's house.  I have to somehow recreate a model in CA.  

Has this already been done?  I can't seem to find anything close in the catalogues.

LOL

Other than drawing this building the rest is easy.

Here is what I have cooked up along with Cameron at CA tech support.  In the library, there are actually some logs.  I can't really use the log walls, because you can't do openings in them. But you can make exterior walls, turn them invisible, install windows and doors, and then stack individual logs up around all of the openings.  Using the array feature it should go pretty quickly, sort of.  

I am certainly open to any other suggestions.

Here's a possibility.  Edit a new exterior wall, swap the outer layer for Chief Architect Core Catalogs -> Materials -> Siding & Paneling ->Log ->Log 1, 2, 3, or 4 and make it the thickness of your logs, I used 2.5".  Use the "8-13 half" and "8-13 full" details for the corners.  Paint material to match.

I experimented with it and it quickly modified one of my plans with a good"ish" appearance.  Would have to do something different on window trim.

1 hour ago, Doug_N said:

I can't really use the log walls, because you can't do openings in them. But you can make exterior walls, turn them invisible, install windows and doors, and then stack individual logs up around all of the openings.  Using the array feature it should go pretty quickly, sort of.  

That's how I do it.  With the Swedish Cope logs all you have to do is use full round and half round logs.  With your log house you will need different size logs and the vertical spacing will need to be varied.  That makes it more difficult but it can be done.

5b9ccfe2f2f38_LogCabin.thumb.jpg.92afb310c9de7922294fe22b8215e7f5.jpg

OK, so you can't set the wall to invisible because CA will also make the imbedded doors and windows invisible.  So I created a wall type that uses very thick glass to setup a framework for the doors and windows to be placed.  Then by setting individual logs from the library, I can fill in the spaces around the doors and windows.  Here is a picture of the result of that effort on a test model.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Correct, not an Invisible Wall - just one that has a "Transparent Material".  I make the wall the thickness of the logs so that the Window Casings are applied outside the logs - but with your client's house they are inset so your wall is thinner.

The "Logs" just need to extend beyond the corners as you've done.