google drive

djhplanning

Is anyone using google drive for some of their shared folders?  I use another computer from time to time and want to access my user library on both machines (only using one machine at a time).  I also want to have a couple of my current projects on the drive so I can access from either machine.  Chief architect suggested that I don't do this and every time I want to use the 2nd machine, suggested that I export my user library and import it to the 2nd machine.  This process would be a nightmare always having to do this so that I have the most recent library on the machine I am using.  Chief made is sound like it is normal that people don't change much in their user library.  I am always adding to my user library everyday.  I don't need the core, manufactures, or bonus libraries on google drive because I can't change those anyway, just the user library and custom materials.  Any thoughts on how others are using google drive would be appreciated.  I am using X9.  On another note, has Chief fixed their material and rendering issues with X10?

I like Dropbox rather than Google Drive because of the faster syncs, but I have been working this way for years. I don't know why you wouldn't put ALL of your libraries on the shared drive; every time you add a Bonus Library or update the Core Library, you only have to do it once. It's also nice for updating toolbars and hotkeys in one place.

I use onedrive that is included with a MS Office subscription.  I then use SyncToy (free from MS) to keep backup copies locally.  This way I can access my work files when visiting a client and can also share a particular file or directory with someone that I collaborating with.  Works great for me.

Along with Doug's information above, with the Microsoft OneDrive, you can map that as a native drive to your computer.  Though I know dropbox has some neat integration features, the mapped drive is the easiest for me.  SyncToy, despite the childish name, is an excellent feature too.

FYI a microsoft office subscription is not required for onedrive, just a microsoft account which is free to sign up on.