Basic Multi Level Terrain Structure Strategy?

HumbleChief

I've got one building on a lower grade and another about 40" higher on an upper plateau. Thought there was a way to set the floor heights xx" above terrain for the upper house but adding that 40" to all the floor/ceiling heights is the only way I can figure to do it. Is there a way to get the floors on separate/different terrain levels/heights to be set relative to the terrain? Or is it simply a matter of addition and subtraction?

Oh yeah and 'make fit' stairs seems to ignore the additional height as well.

7 minutes ago, solver said:

Setting the Absolute Floor in the higher structure and a bit of math to understand what that value should be.

Don't think there is a way to have individual structures locate themselves above the terrain.

ct1.thumb.jpg.72837deb83c50718a3987dad4f898c10.jpg

Thanks Eric - thought as much but thanks very much for taking your time to confirm... Looks like stairs require the same math to get right. I was bit surprised by that.

2 hours ago, solver said:

Are you suggesting that within the higher building, stairs to a 2nd floor, Make Best Fit does not work?

Yeah tried a bunch of options but it always comes up short, like it's ignoring the new (higher) second floor height.

Just tried it on my template plan and 'make best fit' worked fine on a 12 ft high second elevation. Didn't work on my other plan.

1 minute ago, solver said:

Are you sure the 2nd floor is higher? You know how Chief changes structure settings -- settings that should not be changed.

As a test, I elevated a structure 48" off the terrain, built a 2nd floor and drew stairs to it, and from the first floor down to the terrain. Make best fit worked correctly in each case.

Not sure at all as it seems to be working now. Must have been as you suggest...Can't get it to fail now...False alarm..until it happens again of course.