Disappearing materials in PBR

Cheryl_C_Crane

I wonder if you are experiencing materials (interior) that disappear in front of windows. I seem to be devoting a lot of time futzing with transparency trying to get a realistic look between camera views that are only shifted a small distance (but in front of a window or glass door). If so, how are you dealing with it? Adjust Material Settings between shots, like I do?

In this case, look at the Light Fix on the Right side.

I don't know how this would look with a RT, maybe I should try.

2400 3-2.5-2 Flex Kit PB  bad pendant material 1.jpg

2400 3-2.5-2 Flex Kit PB 1.jpg

Joe, Thanks for taking a look.

I'm afraid that I wasn't really clear. In the 1st post, there are 2 different PBR views. The camera was shifted slightly so that I could show how that right-hand pendant is truncated when it is between the camera and the glass door. I think that this shift in the camera is why you aren't seeing the wall on the left beside the wall ovens.

In the second posting, I have drawn a cyan circle around the right-hand pendant to illustrate what is missing ~40% of the fixture. The 2nd pix is a 10 pass RT of exactly the same view - no shift in the camera.

Thank you again for your thoughts, ~Cheryl

I have not noticed this happening , but I have not had this particular scene with a pendant in front of a French door either , so that may mean nothing , 1/2 a missing pendant is definitely an issue ...did you try other Pendants? same issue?

I see the strange square/rect. block of light in one of the pics Joe is talking about too....  (the 3rd image posted above)

2 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

I see the strange square/rect. block of light in one of the pics Joe is talking about too....  (the 3rd image posted above)

That's actually a table lamp on an end table.

What I was talking about is section of the wall just to the left of the ovens that appears to be lighter than the rest of that wall.  I think it's just a shadow condition resulting from a light source further to the left (out of camera).

1 minute ago, Joe_Carrick said:

What I was talking about is section of the wall just to the left of the ovens that appears to be lighter than the rest of that wall.

That is the "block" I meant , not the lamp, just thought it was strange being square , as it didn't look like a shadow to me as it is brighter....

Happens to me in your plan too Cheryl , swinging the camera makes both pendants transparent as if they aren't there....

changed the door glass to Standard Glass and the Pendant "Light " to Lighting-White from Color-White but it made no difference really...a little better but not much I still see the tree through it

M.

8 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

changed the door glass to Standard Glass and the Pendant "Light " to Lighting-White from Color-White but it made no difference really...a little better but not much I still see the tree through it

After I did the above and read the comment about the Lamp shade "colour " I changed it's material to "Matte" type which forced the camera/3D to rebuild and the Pendants are fixed too it seems ????  ( they are now using Lighting-White"  not Color - White in my plan)

Weird.... as I had closed the view and re-shot the camera after the material changes and it didn't help .... maybe something up with that Sketchup Lamp "Colour"

*** maybe related on my end to the fact 12 materials are missing from my Plan though?

M.

Hi Cheryl , as an exercise for myself I turned your Orbel  Interior Fixture into an Electrical Fixture and changed the Materials to Chief's ones and thought you may like it too (below).

From playing with this Symbol , it would seem that the issue is the CA Fabrics used for the Shade and perhaps their Emmissive Quality that is built in, as I saw the transparency issue in the 1st build of this new symbol so I made a few changes and they are no longer Transparent when in front of Windows. If I am wrong about that, let me know and I'll have another play with the new Symbol ( I'm no expert) , but if you import a Lamp from Sketchup, when you do, import it as Electrical not as an Interior Fixture , that way you get the Light Data Tab like a Light Fixture, (unless you don't want it to be a "light" in CA of course, just decoration)

It is setup to sit on the Floor or a Table ( will find a table's height if there) otherwise you can drop it on the floor and set the height off the floor to place it on whatever you need.

M.

MHD_Table Lamp Orbel.calibz

Capture.thumb.JPG.fa63060bb9d982c325e6bff6100f068e.JPG

Mick, I'm anxious to get this into my Library - but can't for some reason!

Downloads just fine, but I can't get it to show up after drag & drop onto a plan in CAX10.

I have noticed that CA's go-to material for lamp shader is Bright White Sheer fabric. It has a Roughness of 90% and Transparency of 12% and Emissive of .19. I'm not a fan.

I saw that this Orgel Table Lamp was imported into CaX2! Thank You for updating it! I'll continue to try to figure why I can't get see it in my Library. 

It's named MHD_Table Lamp Orbel right?

It's easy to see why you are such a valued member of the CA  community! TY ~C

On 9/11/2018 at 3:07 PM, Cheryl_C_Crane said:

Mick, I'm anxious to get this into my Library - but can't for some reason!

Downloads just fine, but I can't get it to show up after drag & drop onto a plan in CAX10.

I have noticed that CA's go-to material for lamp shader is Bright White Sheer fabric. It has a Roughness of 90% and Transparency of 12% and Emissive of .19. I'm not a fan.

I saw that this Orgel Table Lamp was imported into CaX2! Thank You for updating it! I'll continue to try to figure why I can't get see it in my Library. 

It's named MHD_Table Lamp Orbel right?

It's easy to see why you are such a valued member of the CA  community! TY ~C

Did you use Library> Import > calibz ?     worked for me , I tested it before posting the file.... however some people have found the File associations are still linked to Chief X9 as the X10 Installer doesn't correct them properly when it installs, so the drag and drop method or double click method may not work properly.

The Lamp is called    Table Lamp - Orbel      I just label my zipfiles with MHD_ so I know I made it.

The emissive is set to 0 but is actually 0.19 , you have to down arrow it , to get 0.0 . It was these Fabrics that gave me the Transparency Issues so I switched the Lamps to Crepe Mocha ( white with slight texture) I think it was but you can make it anything.

Oh wow X2 , I guess you've had it a few years then  :)

Played around some with you plan , your Clients should love this look you've come up with , it seems to PBR Well too....

Capture.thumb.JPG.e2529b52602e2e2a4258726642898517.JPG

Mick, This has turned into a continuing Saga! 

Kirk thought that it might be in the Full Camera Default Setting. Sent him the Full Back-up File.

It isn't an expensive house, sq and fairly simple. Clients are crazy over the look because of the houndstooth material on the recliner. Roll Tide Roll. (Alabama Grads) 

I don't know what I'll do for Auburn fans and War Eagle. 

Reboot Time.

CCC and Lamp Shade Material.jpg

Gosh Darn.jpg

Full Camera Defaults.PNG

Library What Library.PNG

There are 3 lamps shown. Mick's are the Brass ones (not to worry, they say it's coming back).

Mick's lamp on the left end is just as it was in the Library.

The middle (stainless) lamp is the same one as yesterday.

Mick's lamp on the Right is what happened when I changed to the CA Core Library Lighting White. It has an Emissive setting of a ridiculous 25000. Which is enough to make Sea Turtles lay eggs in North Alabama!

Mick, thanks for taking your time and talent to help ferret this out! 

Lighting white is NOT disappearing in front of the FP.PNG

Low emissive - Low Transparency  disappears in front of FP.PNG

I don't know what to think.PNG

OUY.PNG

Oh, outside. Geeze that's how I control the greenish cast, and glare of PBR. Wow, I hate to hear this! The file will be H U G E if I used 3D exterior landscaping.

I've not seen a fabric lampshade yet that didn't have SOME transparency. This is terrible news!

Thanks, Graham.. I don't want to kill the messenger, so I'll stop. I do appreciate your thoughts.