Add porch without altering rest of plan

pj42pj42

I decided to move on with the model even though I failed to get the exterior trim to form mitres.

It's rough and it looks like crap.

I received a ton of help here on that but for some reason I just am not getting it.

The help I received from Chief Architect help desk for the trim mitre issue was incorrect. 

I spent weeks on their method but it was completely wrong advice.

I've been loath to start the porch. Previously I had tons of problems with automatic walls when I worked 

on the porch.

This time exactly the same thing.

image.thumb.png.809cd0ca346d73b7a5a1f9906d23655c.pngimage.thumb.png.014cbe5f680f8ef646579dcb7a2ef29e.pngimage.thumb.png.068891f133b439d74486790fb47b893d.png

It has screwed up the previous parts of the model and I have run out of returns to get back to the way things were.

Any advice for how to deal with this kind of problem???????? Correct it but also prevent it from happening in the first place?????????

Plot3V15.plan

Not even sure I want to know how you managed to do that but it appears that somehow the porch roof overhangs were allowed to be drawn back behind their baselines and it caused accessory walls to automatically appear.  I just did a little trauma surgery and roughly put things back together but you may need to still do some tidying up.

Plot3V15 Chopped.plan

Thanks man, you are up late too.

I've got things back to the way they were.  How to put the roof planes in without causing these issues?  I also have to put another porch on the back 

of the building. 

Everything works for building the porch model up to the point at which I put the the roof on.  Also, I can't get the manual roof plane to work, which I think

would be useful in this situation.Plot3V15.plan 

Plot3V15.plan

Another all-nighter with X10. Very little progress.

I'm trying to add an addition onto the back of the house, the addition is about six inches narrower than the house, on each side.  This addition has walls with windows and a roof.  I'm on my third attempt, every time the addition starts to affect the rest of the plan.

For example, now the corner of the house foundation wall has an indentation, where the arrow points.  Also the basement floor disappeared.

image.thumb.png.a049bb944e794a527ff4c63d00a5f62c.png

Another huge issue, I have been trying to replace the rails with walls.  I've scoured videos, looked in the help files.  How to replace these rails with walls?  It causes issues, makes the deck supports and framing to disappear even though framing and foundations are still checked in layers. I can't figure out how to delete the rails or replace replace the rails.

Additionally, I have been trying to change the direction of the deck planks, it is unresponsive.  This isn't huge but it doesn't make sense that it won't change.  I've tried 0, 90,-90.

Is there some fundamental thing that I can do when adding porches on to prevent it from screwing up the previously existing parts of the plan?  I have run into this problem repeatedly.

Any help immensely appreciated!!!!

Regards,

Pedro

Plot3V16.plan

Pedro,

Most of your problems are very simple and are due to your unfamiliarity with the program.

You just need to get more practice and think like Chief Architect!

52 minutes ago, pj42pj42 said:

For example, now the corner of the house foundation wall has an indentation, where the arrow points.  Also the basement floor disappeared.

You need to drag the rear wall into the corner a bit further.

Select the basement room, open the dbx, and on the Structure panel, select Floor Under This Room. 

Another huge issue, I have been trying to replace the rails with walls.  I've scoured videos, looked in the help files.  How to replace these rails with walls?  It causes issues, makes the deck supports and framing to disappear even though framing and foundations are still checked in layers. I can't figure out how to delete the rails or replace replace the rails.

Open their dbx and uncheck Railing on the General panel or on the Rail Style panel.

Or you can drag a new wall over them.

Additionally, I have been trying to change the direction of the deck planks, it is unresponsive.  This isn't huge but it doesn't make sense that it won't change.  I've tried 0, 90,-90.

Open up the room dbx, change the angle, but up at the top of the Deck panel, check Automatically Regenerate Deck framing.

Is there some fundamental thing that I can do when adding porches on to prevent it from screwing up the previously existing parts of the plan?  I have run into this problem repeatedly.

I am not sure what you are doing to mess things up repeatedly.

I have run out of returns to get back to the way things were

Pedro:

use "save as" OFTEN - I use it sometimes every 5 minutes or when I finish a task I don't want to repeat

add the date/time to the file name and maybe a short description so you can go back to that stage if needed

Lew

You will eventually get up to speed on using the program.  In the mean time, I have an idea for you.  Make a copy of your plan and name it as a "work copy".  If you will be doing a change to the house that you are unfamiliar with, try it on the work copy until you are comfortable with how you did it.  IF it messes something up, you have only changed the work copy and not the actual plan.  If you happen to get it right on the work copy, you can often cut/paste in place to the real plan.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again to all for the help that I have received!

I am trying to get the walls to appear on the second story of the porch on the back of the house and to get the outline of the walls of the porch to appear in the attic level.

I've looked at many combinations of plan views and layers but so far no luck.  I think it has something to do with room assignment or maybe because I never used "add floor" while building the porch second story...(I remember trying to use add floor but, if I remember correctly, it wouldn't work for me.)  Everything else shows up in each level, i.e. Framing, Roof shows up in the attic level, the Walls for the porch show up in level 1, Foundation, Framing and Foundation shows up in level 0. 

Just that the walls do no show in level 2, and outline of walls does not show up in attic level and level two windows appear in level one wall outline.

image.thumb.png.45d6b850d9b1f8c3106471210735217c.png

Level 2, no porch walls.

image.thumb.png.83c4a22f0f8072222aebe449338ee5ea.png

Attic level, porch roof framing as expected but no porch wall outline.

image.thumb.png.99a4004d8ed74fe1c5b4e4934c790b9a.png

Level 1, porch walls etc as expected (but level 2 windows appear here).

image.thumb.png.190e19cea2ed30b83106bf50f1430062.png

Plot3V18.plan

Right, but how to create the second level?  I've tried Build New Floor, Build Insert New Floor.  I've looked at room definitions. Also, when I was originally building the porch, Build New Floor didn't work for some reason, I don't remember why.  Now when I try to add a new floor I only get Add a 3rd floor, which puts different parts of the porch on different floor plan levels than the rest of the house, even if I did get the walls to show up in the plan views.

image.thumb.png.4500102a79ebe730ee177bb2e3f2b40a.png

I decided to give up on drawing the back porch (Utility room) in the plan because either I could not get everything to show up in the back porch (i.e. 2 out of 3 wall framing only would show on the second level) or because the wall framing for the back porch would alter the wall framing of the original structure (they have different lumber dimensions and different framing styles) (They have different roof framing lumber dimensions and styles).

So, I redrew the porch from scratch in another plan and now I am attempting to move the back porch into the original drawing.  

However, so far I can't get the wall framing to transfer over.  I've used "select all". I've tried to be in general framing mode and marquee the structure with and without the shift key. I've tried selecting from various 2D and 3D views.  I've tried selecting the entire structure, but that doesn't seem to be a function.  I've then tried moving the back porch over one level at a time but the wall framing does not transfer over.

image.thumb.png.87f8287cbc1823446c730b4f3c1ee18e.png

Back porch with framing on left plan

image.thumb.png.1b900a4ead7da86638d5ca93e0fa36c8.png

"Select all" of back porch in left plan

image.thumb.png.881e4f9cad6df6ccff08e07fdd1c9818.png

Pasted back porch into right plan does not contain wall framing

Is there a way to do this or is there generally a better way to move an entire structure from one plan into another?

image.thumb.png.95c0a006e85ed71872df3b2d14adc662.png