Text size in the Text Specification dialogue box

CARMELHILL

Does anyone know how to change the size of the text your writing in the text entry field of the Standard Text Specification dialogue box? I mean the visible text your in the process of typing, not what goes onto the drawing. I know this was discussed once before when someone was changing to a newer monitor size, but I've searched the forum and can't find it. It's not in the Preferences. It always seems so small, especially when you're display resolution is up pretty high.

See attached.

Screen Shot.JPG

For plain text you can zoom the text in and out in the preview pane using the mouse wheel.

I don't think you can change it in the text entry pane.

You can also make the preview pane bigger if needed and zoom all.

With Rich Text you can do it to the text itself with the % scrollbox.

Use Rich Text instead of plain text?

9 hours ago, glennw said:

For plain text you can zoom the text in and out in the preview pane using the mouse wheel.

I don't think you can change it in the text entry pane.

You can also make the preview pane bigger if needed and zoom all.

With Rich Text you can do it to the text itself with the % scrollbox.

Use Rich Text instead of plain text?

That's not what I'm talking about. I know the right preview pane can be enlarged, but I'm talking about the text ENTRY area to the left. Check my video.

9 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Glenn, check Ed's previous posting which I think is the reason for the Standard Text.

9 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Your sort of right. I will be using this text more often. But the text entry dialogue box has always been too small.

• 5 months later...
25 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Hmm. No solution yet? My eyes aren't getting any better as I get older. It's tough to see that text and I also need to make it to display larger.

Seems we have the same issue :)  was just looking at this , and opened my Defaults>Text + markers>Text>1/4 Defaults and the text seemed Larger than it just had in Plan View, so I okayed back out and now the Text in a new Text Box seems larger too....not much but larger.....  or maybe I am showing my age again :)

M.

16 minutes ago, robdyck said:

I don't know of any place to control this. Seems like it'd be in "preferences"...

image.thumb.png.e1278b20f2071a627caa38e6450d8441.png

I have asked for User Control of the GUI in the Past, but we don't have it yet, some stuff is controlled by the Windows Icon Text Size , eg the Project and Library Browser Tree but it appears many Items are "Hard-coded".

To change stuff in Windows 10 I use Advanced Font Changer as Windows no longer allows easy access to the Font and Size , it is in this Post from last year :

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/20793-update-text-programming/?do=findComment&comment=168932

image.thumb.png.193d042f8fb55071521e74794ab34961.png

You can make everything larger in Windows if you have a hi-res monitor by right-clicking in the display desktop area, choosing Display Settings, go to custom scaling (Advanced Scaling Settings) and set to 125% or 150%, say. You will need to choose the option to sign out, to get this to go into effect. You MAY find this causes problems with text wrapping incorrectly initially, but not always. 

4 minutes ago, Richard_Morrison said:

You can make everything larger in Windows if you have a hi-res monitor by right-clicking in the display desktop area, choosing Display Settings, go to custom scaling (Advanced Scaling Settings) and set to 125% or 150%, say. You will need to choose the option to sign out, to get this to go into effect. You MAY find this causes problems with text wrapping incorrectly initially, but not always. 

My monitor is 2K (2560x1440) , so Windows10 automatically scales it to 125% ,  and I then adjust things like Icon Size and Scrollbars with Advanced Font Changer.....(above) as I found 150% was just too big for everyday use...AFAIK at 4k Windows 10 should autoscale to 200%

M.

Interesting. Higher resolution monitors may be the answer then (more $...YAY). I did try re-scaling the font using Windows settings and everything in Chief ended up blurry, even after signing out and letting Windows try to fix the blurriness.

13 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

My monitor is 2K (2560x1440) , so Windows10 automatically scales it to 125% ,  and I then adjust things like Icon Size and Scrollbars with Advanced Font Changer.....(above) as I found 150% was just too big for everyday use...AFAIK at 4k Windows 10 should autoscale to 200%

M.

On my 4K 43" monitor, it autoscales at 350%. However, the display scaling starts at the autoscale level, and adjusts it from there. If you wanted just a tad larger, you could use display scaling at 110%, and it would be 10% larger than the autoscaled version. At least, that's the way it works on my monitor.

15 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Interesting. Higher resolution monitors may be the answer then (more $...YAY). I did try re-scaling the font using Windows settings and everything in Chief ended up blurry, even after signing out and letting Windows try to fix the blurriness.

Are you at FHD res? (1920x1080) the DISPLAY scaling should be 100% or 125% but I find it best to use ASFC (AFC) rather than using what is really like a magnifying glass but for Chief specifically using Richard's method above maybe the only way, as AFC can't change Chief GUI Text sizes, it only effects the Parts that use the Windows Explorer like Folder Trees as mentioned.

PS I went from 23" FHD to 32" QHD monitors and wouldn't change back..... personally I need IPS or IPS like (VA/MVA) panels as my eyes don't TN based monitors (=headaches) but that is a personal consideration but generally IPS has better colour etc than TN too.

M

Just tried it again using Windows 10 Display settings. No blurriness this time, because I'm an idiot. I thought before that the toggle button for "Fix scaling for apps" was on but it wasn't. It did mess up the way some of my text was displaying in plan view but easily fixed. Some CAD symbols with text however needed to be adjusted. 

This is a true sign of aging...needing the font bigger and then not knowing how the computer settings work. Yikes! Thanks for the suggestions, Mick.

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

Just tried it again using Windows 10 Display settings. No blurriness this time, because I'm an idiot. I thought before that the toggle button for "Fix scaling for apps" was on but it wasn't. It did mess up the way some of my text was displaying in plan view but easily fixed. Some CAD symbols with text however needed to be adjusted. 

This is a true sign of aging...needing the font bigger and then not knowing how the computer settings work. Yikes! Thanks for the suggestions, Mick.

You know you are worth a nice new 32" 2K monitor :) ....just do it..... put the old ones either side for now..... it's how I did it at 1st too.

Just had to buy a few pairs of new Glasses so that is my "spend" for the next wee while....

M.

• Like 1