Stairs W/winders

OldCKD

Hi all,

Is there any quick, painless (hah!) way to create stairs with winders - know they're not to code anymore but need for an as-built, and they will be remaining so would like to include in the remodel plan. 

I've attached pics of the existing stairs to illustrate what I need to do.  It's an old cottage on the Vineyard so everything is quirky!

TIA, for any advice.

PS - apologies for them being sideways - no idea why.

post-192-0-27699400-1409085231_thumb.jpg

post-192-0-53481500-1409085241_thumb.jpg

You can curve stair sections, and you can get the curved sections to extend out to a wall, but sometimes, to model a setup like you need to do, it is best to use landings for all the winder treads, and link them as required to straight tread runs.

So the answer is no, there is no easy way, if by easy you mean just do something like draw a walk line and BOOM, the stairs build with the press of a command key.

Yes.  A landing is just a converted p'line, and can be circular, star-shaped, anything.  I don't stack them so much as place them adjacent each other in plan view.  You'll have to select around the perimeter to delete (as required) railings on edges.

I work a lot in Sketchup, in tandem with Chief.  The pic attached is a study of a staircase which I would do in Chief by making the winders part a sequence of landings, height set appropriately, and then linking the straight runs with the Chief stair tool.  Doing studies in SU lets me quickly get to the elevation data.  I could probably do the workout in Chief, but I am used to SU.

post-55-0-50155300-1409372877_thumb.png