Roof Problems / Advice or Suggestions

keithhe

Hey Folks,

This is a plan I've had for a while and never successfully gotten roof correct. I'm about to do several additions, so hopeful I can get this baseline as-built correct. Roof is close, but not completely correct and unable to figure out why. The attached PDF shows the areas of concern. The large hole in siding, front of house, I suspect has to do with there not being a wall under that entire area?  The other issues, no idea. Last, every attempt to get the little roof over bay window really whacks things up, so its missing here.

Other than a very simple rectangle building I've rarely had luck with automatic roofs. This is manually drawn.   

Any ideas, suggestions much appreciated. 

Thanks, Keith

Plan at link below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tgn7m46h9td1vgo/As-Built with Terrain roof problems.plan?dl=0

As-Built with Terrain.pdf

DSC02343.JPG

Thanks Eric,

As I have no idea what you changed to make it work, I'm still where I was. The second floor was added as I was told/read somewhere to add that where there is a full, giant open attic over entire footprint of house. Has a box truss so very open up there. Is that wrong?

Back years ago, when I was more active with CA, the word from many is to learn how to manually draw roofs. So I tried that. I have watched a variety of videos on the auto build, or combination of auto and manual, but often have more problems that way. I think I had the gables called correctly on walls and roof, but evidently not. 

Eric,

Thank you sir !! Clearly I had a lot of errors. Among many, it seems that the second floor and having the attic walls off were the biggest. The video was terrific and helped me see what you were finding and how to fix. 

The amount of time I can spend with CA, which I really enjoy using, is limited anymore with what I'm doing now. I need to force myself to draw more, to better utilize and understand it for the times I do use it.

I have not updated the program in about 2-3 years. Do you think X10 is a worthwhile upgrade from X-7? I suspect there are some things that are improved, but uncertain if things that might matter to me. 

Thanks again Eric. Very informative and helpful !!!!  

7 hours ago, keithhe said:

Thanks again Eric. I probably will do so as getting too far behind with the software has other issues as well. Like seeing what others can see with their versions. 

$1300 to upgrade is alot of money but $500 of that is SSA really ( it comes with an upgrade ) which would likely mean you get X11 next year for "free" as well.

1 caveat though , if your Signature is accurate ? is that X10 has ALOT of new "eye-candy" like PBR View and thus the need for a better VideoCard has been needed by many as CA now recommends one with 4GB memory , though your 1GB card still meets the minimum according the System Reqs. page. others have reported otherwise , it looks like it is a Laptop too , which means just the Videocard is not upgradable

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/products/sysreq.html

Mick,

Thanks and I had thought of that. I had not recently looked at the "minimum" requirements CA suggests though. I've already been considering a new computer. For me, it will always have to be a laptop as I can't (refuse to be) be tied to one location. 

I've thought about reviewing what laptops folks on here are using now, for X10, and how they have performed. I know that will be a big hit as gaming type computers are pricey.  

22 minutes ago, keithhe said:

Mick,

Thanks and I had thought of that. I had not recently looked at the "minimum" requirements CA suggests though. I've already been considering a new computer. For me, it will always have to be a laptop as I can't (refuse to be) be tied to one location. 

I've thought about reviewing what laptops folks on here are using now, for X10, and how they have performed. I know that will be a big hit as gaming type computers are pricey.  

I wouldn't say it is the quickest in X10 though I just got X10 on it last night so haven't used it much yet but the laptop in my Signature I just got is not that expensive though if you can afford it I would go higher eg for the 1060 or 1070 model with the 120hz screen, which if it was my only machine is what I would of done myself... if you want 17" look for GP73 models instead of the GP63 like mine which is the 15.6" version.

https://laptopmedia.com/review/msi-gp63-leopard-8rd-review-a-mixture-of-premium-and-budget-qualities/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9tahu5FIEc

5 hours ago, keithhe said:

Thanks Mick. I've never even heard of MSI Leopard computers? I'll take a look at the links you provided. I need to study up on what I want, but a lot of it I know would be required. 

Thanks again  

They are a huge company , been around a long time and are supported well in the US , some models have a 1 yr warranty , some two years , depends on the model and how much you pay ,  The GP73 8RE is getting good reviews on alot of Sites Like Notebook Review ( has a MSI Forum to check too ) and NotebookCheck . The 120mhz screen is supposed to be nice , some come with a 60hz so look for one with the 120hz screen ...it likely costs more though, but for what you want to do worth it.

Another line maybe the Asus ROG Strix series which I have read good reviews on too.

When it comes to notebooks and CA Mark's  @MarkMc    is the ear to bend as he stays up on the Laptop side of things , he lead me to the MSI GP/GE Series....

www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-GP63-Leopard-8RE-i7-8750H-GTX-1060-FHD-Xotic-PC-Edition-Laptop-Review

Thanks Mick. I did look at your links earlier and honestly had never actually heard of MSI. I will keep looking at those. 

My requirements, in part, are a laptop to be mobile. Thunderbolt 3 minimum 1 port but 2 would be nice. Dual drives,both SSD with 500 Gb OS ad 1 Tb data. That is nogotialble if laptop allows me to change them out. I really have had good luck with the Samsung EVO’s. 

16 MB Ram with option to 32 or more. 

I like the NVIDIA GPUs and likely going with that at about 6gb. Still looking at these and not sure which series yet. 

Processor is still be looked at but i7 and fast minimum. 

I have had great luck on ASUS computers and looking hard at the ROG’s. 

Thats the start. Like to keep at or under $2000 but could go higher if I need to. The thunderbolt is a deal breaker. Must have for me. 

3 minutes ago, keithhe said:

Thanks Mick. I did look at your links earlier and honestly had never actually heard of MSI. I will keep looking at those. 

My requirements, in part, are a laptop to be mobile. Thunderbolt 3 minimum 1 port but 2 would be nice. Dual drives,both SSD with 500 Gb OS ad 1 Tb data. That is nogotialble if laptop allows me to change them out. I really have had good luck with the Samsung EVO’s. 

16 MB Ram with option to 32 or more. 

I like the NVIDIA GPUs and likely going with that at about 6gb. Still looking at these and not sure which series yet. 

Processor is still be looked at but i7 and fast minimum. 

I have had great luck on ASUS computers and looking hard at the ROG’s. 

Thats the start. Like to keep at or under $2000 but could go higher if I need to. The thunderbolt is a deal breaker. Must have for me. 

With those Specs I'd think you will be over your 2K USD, maybe even 2.5K  that is a very high end machine ...and Mark is definitely the guy to ask about that.....

M.

Not sure. I think I e found a few sub $2K already but a big chuck of that. I can go higher but still need to shop it. Happy with any advice anyone cares to share. I can be persuaded on some but not all my requirements. 

Biggest thing is future proof for about 5 years. The Thunderbolt helps there a lot. 

What is contact information for Mark? 

8 minutes ago, keithhe said:

Not sure. I think I e found a few sub $2K already but a big chuck of that. I can go higher but still need to shop it. Happy with any advice anyone cares to share. I can be persuaded on some but not all my requirements. 

Biggest thing is future proof for about 5 years. The Thunderbolt helps there a lot. 

What is contact information for Mark? 

Be best to start a thread in the Off Topic Chatroom , with the info here and I am guessing Mark will drop in when he has time....

M.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, keithhe said:

No Thunderbolt. Otherwise this would be great. Hate scumming through all the gammer talk for these computers. 

Got contacted about this-what you want can be had for the price so long as you stay away from machines with desktop processors. I'd suggest looking at HIDevotution.com or Xoticpc.com. They carry machines from just about every gaming outfit and know what they are doing.

You can contact them directly and they actually know a bit (but they are gamers mostly) I like Clevo machines-available as Sager or Evoc. My next one will be an Evoc from HIDevolution. Clevos will be configurable so you get to pick what you get (like which SSD..) Evoc comes with Prima Bios which is nice since the only downside to Clevo is little to no BIOS updates. In most cases you have to be sure to ADD Windows since in most cases they come without but will install it. FWIW I would not be without Raid 0 again-which simply requires ordering with two smaller SSDs instead of a big one and asking them to set it up (on Clevo machines)

This one starts at $1500 and i7-8750H, GTX1070 8GB, two 970 EVO in Raid 0, 16 GB ram, win 10 home -upped the cooling the the wireless hits $2100. You could go higher on it or lower- there are other options and brands.

Check over at NotebookReview.com in the forums-by brand and check the owners lounge for models you are interested in to see if they have issues (and yeah you have to wade through the gamer stuff)

• Like 1

Thanks Mark. A custom build and or modify like HIDe might be the way to go. I know their reputation is good but that piecemeal add stuff drives me nuts. Still might be a good way to go. I just need to hone my wants and ask them to tell me how wrong I am. 

Raid 0 ? Very familiar and possibly performance bump in most cases but I hate splitting the drives in a laptop where I’d only have up to two. Really like a clean Drive with OS/programs and other drive just files. I think SSD’s are plenty fast enough for CA and there really isn’t an excessive R/W going on. Curious your reasons. 

I like the possibility of a socket motherboard where it “might” be upgradable for cpu/gpu in future. That’s the biggest bonus to HIDe with a custom build. 

Thanks !!

7 minutes ago, keithhe said:

Raid 0 ? Very familiar and possibly performance bump in most cases but I hate splitting the drives in a laptop where I’d only have up to two. Really like a clean Drive with OS/programs and other drive just files. I think SSD’s are plenty fast enough for CA and there really isn’t an excessive R/W going on.

Would depend on the Model but you would have RAID 0 NVME SSDs  PLUS a HDD ( 1TB-2TB?) for Data in most cases , higher end Laptops have 2 M2 ports usually plus a SATA connector for a standard HDD or SATA SSD for Data

1 hour ago, keithhe said:

I like the possibility of a socket motherboard where it “might” be upgradable for cpu/gpu in future.

Yes and no. This is my second Clevo both were up-gradeable. Part of why I went to the wall on this one is that I discovered on the first one that it sounds better than it works IRL. My current machine is but the most I could get into it for a GPU is a 1060 with a kit which is barely better than what I have. OTOH the parts are far more easily replaced if a problem arises. So not needing a complete MOBO is a bonus (however I see that Intel is or has switched some CPUs back to soldered). As to the drives- what Mick said-the config I showed had another HDD for data since using an SSD for that makes zero difference in performance (I've tested extensively) and I wouldn't leave home without one a separate data drive.