multiple mouldings on a polyline solid

Douglas49

I'm following the CA training material "using 3D moulding polylines" Ref KB-02882

It says:-

• select the polyline solid
  • then copy and paste in place
  • then convert to a plain polyline
  • then convert the polyline
  • convert to 3D moulding polyline
  • click OK
  • then replace with the desired moulding

I repeated this for the two additional mouldings one by one, but they have all appeared to have defaulted to the original 3D moulding polyline.

Is the teaching material above not the best solution?

How do I get each moulding onto its own moulding polyline?

32 minutes ago, solver said:

You can place multiple moldings on a single Molding Polyline, or use a single Molding Polyline for each molding.

Do you have the link on how to do this?

Thanks

37 minutes ago, solver said:

What are you wanting to accomplish?

To be able to select each moulding as I wish

It works for me using the counter top option (the moulding link is built in) Its just seems a bit weird using a kitchen counter top to work up say an exterior verandah post, hence looking at the polyline solids option.

39 minutes ago, solver said:

When you add a molding to a Molding Polyline, it's added to the drop down list.

ct1.thumb.jpg.98c119a5b4935a107d3516cd9bb7b882.jpg

Obviously I need to learn how to get each moulding on its own line, and then I will get the drop down box - I will keep looking

As Eric points out you don't really need or want to use 3D molding plines. Read up on the difference between those and regular molding lines-I prefer the reference manual myself over individual KB articles to get a good general idea of how and when.  Notice that in the KB that you refer to they demonstrate a frame done in elevation, that is where 3D lines come into play. Your object can all be done in plan.

To answer your original question-you could take a back clipped elevation and select each molding from that.

If I understand the prolem, you want to have each molding on it's own molding line.

You are then having problems when you want to select a particular molding line because they are all drawn on top of each other, in the same location, in plan and 3D.

You have drawn the molding lines and used the vertical offset to determine the height of the moldings.

Doing this will leave all the molding lines in the same location and it is then hard to select the one you want.

You can use Tab to change the selection, but you still do not know which molding you have selected.

First off, no need to use a 3D molding line.

Just use a normal 2D molding polyline.

I think the best thing to do is not to use the vertical offset for the molding.

Instead, change the height of the molding line and make it's vertical offset zero.

This will make it very easy to identify which molding you have selected by using a 3D view.

But, unless you really want 3 seperate molding lines - one for each molding, it is much easier to use a single molding line and apply the 3 moldings to that molding line.

Then, when you open the molding line dbx, you have full control of all the 3 moldings in the one dbx.

Thank You Eric for that video - I can see now where I was going wrong. Awesome

Plus now I can also place multiple mouldings on a polyline solid using just one single moulding line and space them out using the vertical off set and then I able to easily access the individual mouldings from the drop down  box.

Apologies for being a bit slow on the uptake on this one.