Shower Enclosure

taniafaria

Hello.  I am trying to recreate this shower for a client as per the photo attached.  There will be a shower seat and curb, as per the photo.  I have managed to add the hinged shower door and add the 1" frame and mullions, but I have not been able to do this for the side glass panels.  So far, I have created this using the pony wall, added my hinge door and changed my upper portions to glass panels.  

Any suggestions on how to achieve this look?  

Shower Bench Seat (2).jpg

Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 7.55.07 AM.png

From playing with muntions in the past , i don't think they work with all types of Windows and doors Larry , eg the glass slab , but in this case I think 3 Glass Panel doors with the frame made 1" will work , this way you can use the standard "Lites" Tab to add the muntions (mullions). Make the two outer doors with a swing angle of 0° so it looks right in plan view and also turn off swing indicators.

You could also make a Symbol in a Blank Plan fairly easily.

image.thumb.png.b14f13384486d188075b8a693a7c1730.png

• Like 1

I'm with Mick on this. Can't load muntins in windows don't have a sash and can't if you make a custom window or door symbol that has the notch. Played with this a little, tried windows, and symbols with notches, also tried a cabinet to make a symbol. I also had difficulty getting the muntins of a symbol to line up with those on a real door even though they matched in the plan used to create the symbol. (could be the pilot though) Then getting all views plan elevation and perspective to look right was a PIA.

At this point if I needed this I think I'd make the room with dividers and everything else with symbols just adding the door swing with CAD.

Now if your muntins line up nicely with the notch as Mick shows IOW not like the photo-it is much easier to accomplish.

WIth notch and real door.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MarkMc said:

Now if your muntins line up nicely with the notch as Mick shows IOW not like the photo-it is much easier to accomplish

Yes I cheated :) ...... just a bit and just pulled the bottom of the Door up to until the Muntions lined up after dividing by 3 instead of 4. It's the down and dirty fix for a Client view only :) .

16 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

It's the down and dirty fix for a Client view only :) .

Understood that and it makes a lot more sense IRL IMO. I was just fiddling to see what and how recovering from jet lag so pretty useless to do anything real.

I used a "railing wall"...style set to "open", set newel width to "0".  Placed and edited doors in wall...doors are 36"x96".  I used a P-Solid for the bench and just pulled it through the door.  I did have to adjust the size of the bench to fit the muntins automatically placed in the doors...so, that may not work for you.  I think there are many ways you can get the "look" without using symbols or a lot of P-solids...

5b9187f042ef9_ShowerEnclosure1.thumb.png.66b9f5467a9e9ff597da788d34d82cb0.png

I found all doors less work and better in plan than mixing in windows but all doors has the swing indicators in elevation.

OTOH-I liked the symbol idea enough to go and make a fistful of standard "shower" part symbols. I get a lot of showers-the two most annoying issues I run into are an "L" shaped glass on a knee wall and a side wall that extends an inch or two in front of the glass. Yeah there are solutions for both but the symbols are a bit faster. Framing for the tall wall is easy enough, the knee wall is harder but I already have symbols for that but not sure they get into material list.

While playing with it I discovered an odd quirk-If I copy the glass wall that has a symbol with options insert into wall 2-1/2" the wall copies with the cutout. Not sure how useful it is though since adding a knee wall there simply replaces the glass wall.

Shower Symbols.png

On 9/6/2018 at 12:15 PM, DavidJames said:

Doing this out of windows and a door works pretty well in my opinion: 

Bathroom.thumb.jpg.b36b28782706c70300cd9495dffb3666.jpg

Thanks David,

I think if your post had said "Doing this out of windows and a door and a poly line solid in elevation view," it might have saved me a half an hour trying to do it with only windows and a door. Nice work anyway.

• Like 1

Just now, HumbleChief said:

Thanks David,

I think if your post had said "Doing this out of windows and a door and a poly line solid in elevation view," it might have saved me a half an hour trying to do it with only windows and a door. Nice work anyway.

lol my bad, Larry!

I'll go ahead and edit my post to include that information. 

4 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Thanks David,

The Devil is always in the Details huh :)

out of curiosity do people actually make Showers like this ?  I have never seen a shower done this way , most people just want walls of glass...and no frame

M.