Merging Layouts...Is is possible?

EconBlueprints

My goal is to combine two layouts, and associated filed into one layout along with the associated files.
This is for a restaurant conversion where the 2nd story of the building was converted to a B and B two years ago.
Now, the owner wants to convert the first floor into a B and B.  It would be nice to be able to incorporate a lot of the former drawing elements into the new drawing.
The first layout was created in 2016 using Chief V10(a).  All plan files associated with that layout were created with the same version of Chief.
The second layout (and associated files) was created with Chief Premier X10 just a few weeks ago.  The older version has a beaucoup amount of notes and CAD blocks that I want to use in the new layout.
Is there a method to combine all of the plan files, CAD blocks etc for the individual versions into one file and layout?

Thanks in advance.

Lane

Lane,

You can create multiple copies of any Layout you currently have by simply using 'save as' under a different file name. You can also copy and paste notes and CAD blocks from any Layout to another but you have to close the Layout you are copying from and re-open the Layout you are copying to. So perhaps you could create a new Layout, based on an existing Layout, and copy and paste the relevant elements in to that new Layout?

I actually do this a lot when I have something like a new set of plan notes from a City. I'll place the notes in the current Layout then copy those notes from that Layout, close the Layout, open my template Layout and paste them there for future use.

Some folks have figured out how to have 2 Layouts open at once but I never did so I open and close Layouts for copying and pasting.

but you have to close the Layout you are copying from and re-open the Layout you are copying to

As Perry stated, it is not necessary to close one layout and then open a second layout

IF, you start a second instance of Chief as Perry stated

Lew 

I (of course) gave that advice for users like myself who have never gotten 2 layouts open at once (no combination of the cntrl key and open layout allows another Layout to open on my computer). But if the OP can get it to work with the simple instructions above then by all means give it a shot...

3 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

I (of course) gave that advice for users like myself who have never gotten 2 layouts open at once (no combination of the cntrl key and open layout allows another Layout to open on my computer). But if the OP can get it to work with the simple instructions above then by all means give it a shot...

Larry,

I wonder if you typed incorrectly or you actually meant what you wrote - huh, I assume you did. :wacko:

In which case.....

You don't actually open another layout in the same Chief session, you open another layout in a second instance of Chief.

So...instead of trying to Ctrl+Open Layout, you need to Ctrl+click the Chief shortcut, or however you open Chief.

Once the second instance of Chief is open, you can open another layout.

The process is different on a Mac.

I hope I am not stating the obvious, but I know that sometimes the simplest things are missed.

8 hours ago, glennw said:

Larry,

I wonder if you typed incorrectly or you actually meant what you wrote - huh, I assume you did. :wacko:

In which case.....

You don't actually open another layout in the same Chief session, you open another layout in a second instance of Chief.

So...instead of trying to Ctrl+Open Layout, you need to Ctrl+click the Chief shortcut, or however you open Chief.

Once the second instance of Chief is open, you can open another layout.

The process is different on a Mac.

I hope I am not stating the obvious, but I know that sometimes the simplest things are missed.

Thanks Glenn, I really have no experience, nor have I had much interest in opening either a second Layout or a second session of Chief so I was simply going by the suggested steps in the previous post which were not very detailed as to how to get the task accomplished. Still not that interested, but I appreciate the more detailed steps of how open a second session if I or another user should choose to do so.

Thanks again for clarifying.

Just tried it again and after 5 or 6 tries using various combinations as described in Chop's link I got a second instance of Chief to open. Still have very little interest in the technique but might help down the road.

Hope the OP gets some needed direction.

I agree with Larry.  My procedure is to have a separate Layout for each Project - even if it's a modification of an older Project.

So I simply copy the old/existing Project Folder, re-link and then create a "New Plan" to modify.  That can be a separate copy of the "Old Plan" with a different name.  Some of the Layout Boxes in the "New Project" will still reference the "Old Plan" but others will be sent from the "New Plan".

• Upvote 1

Boilerplate stuff I use and reuse, I either place those in my Library Browser or place them as a CAD Detail to my Profile plan. In retrospect, I prefer the Library Browser method. Opening two layouts I would consider doing it "the hard way". We all do what we must in present time but planning for one's future is the better course.

DJP