Problem Importing a DXF File

ChrisinAZ

Hello All-New Chief Architect Premier X10 user. I'm a K&B designer and decided to take the leap after 20 years with 20/20. So far I haven't regretted the decision. I have a project I'm working on in which I need to open up a residential home plan in DXF format that was e-mailed to me. The client is using some sort of CAD software though I don't know which one or which version(I've never used CAD). I've followed Chief's 'Using CAD to Walls from Imported DWG/DXF' support page. I've followed the directions verbatim. I've tried changing units of measurement from in. to ft. . I've made sure to select 'Move drawing to the origin in Chief Architect'. However nothing ever populates within the New Plan page. I thought of trying to convert the DXF file into a DWG file but I learned I would need to know more about the original CAD software(version). I should add I'm not that computer savvy. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Hoover Remodel.dxf

Edited by ChrisinAZ
Responder Request

A lot of Cad users have a black background and it is always possible that the whole file is drawn with white lines which do not show in Chief unless you adjust your background color.   Preferences > Appearance > Colors > Background :

Also there are many other possibilities so posting the DXF file may allow another user to figure it out for you.

There seems to be a major issue with the file.  I have AutoDesk's DWG file viewer that I use any time there is an issue with DWG/DXF and it has never flat out rejected a file before. 

"FATAL ERROR: Unhandled Access Violation Reading 0x0000 Exceptions at b28d6e79h "

It could be locked or protected somehow.  You may want to contact the sender.

Draftsight will open it and it appears that there is nothing in model space which is what Chief reads.  Not sure if it can be repaired or not but you can view the paper space drawings or print them with Draftsight.  https://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight-cad-software/free-download/

Got your file open in TurboCad and it has problems. The model space where there should be information has only boxes that list as "images" but are blank. Think it is a problem with how they did blocks. I managed to get the kitchen layout that they have out with a little roundabout-printed to pdf and converted that back into a dwg. There is a section missing from it as well, my guess is a block that is referenced but not there. I imported that into a CAD detail in a chief plan, blocked it and put it on the plan page-attached.

Have them send a dwg OR a pdf. You can download a trial version of a pdf to cad converter (there are a few). I'm testing a new one now (Print2CAD AI) from www.backtocad.com

FWIW- I don't ever bother with CAD to walls-results are iffy at best. I block the DWG on the cad detail, place on it's own layer, copy, go to plan, paste and hold position. Unblock it and lock the layer but keep it visible. Then in your Defaults, plan defaults-check use snap grid, change the distance to 1/2" then turn of show snap grid and turn of grid snaps. (all you want is to change  the distance)5b8a0e380d8ba_snapsetting.thumb.png.7ef43671d5b3229471bfd7da42b0737d.png

Now you can trace the plan walls quickly BUT Chief will snap the main layer of the walls which is why you changed the snap distance. Go around the model, select each wall and hit the appropriate arrow key to move it so that the surface layer (drywall -hence the 1/2") is now in the correct position. Then your good to go.

From one 2020 refugee to another (though I left long ago but was there too many years :)

Here is the plan with all that stuff done and the the dwg so you can do it yourself.

Hoover import.plan

Print2CAD-Hoover Kitchen.dwg

MarkMc- Yeah that's the place('RENOVATED KITCHEN'). I was out on the job site measure last week. I came as the 'KD' along with the GC and sales department. I thought there was something off about the printed plans at a glance(They were, I think, 18x24 prints of the enlarged corner of the house). The client offered to send the GC a DWG file but the GC just asked for the PDF. The project involves more than a kitchen remodel and may end up including additions, etc. A little beyond 20/20's capabilities so I offered the sales people to design(perspectives only) what the end project might look like in Chief. I've already designed the kitchen in 20/20 but thought it would be beneficial(or at least good practice for me in Chief;)) to show the whole completed project. So they had the client send me the DXF file. It will take me a little time to figure out what you posted but I'm on it. I appreciate your taking the time to do so:)