Lines shifting when printing to PDF

NevinF

For some reason, when I print to PDF some of the lines are shifting from where they are on the layout. It seems like it is just happening on the elevations, at least as far as I've noticed.

Here are some screenshots of the original layout:

5b899e2eb1e32_Layout2.thumb.PNG.a0b460edf29d498af48cbcc985ec0dfa.PNG Layout.thumb.PNG.5c5a368af58bb501c053b3e773e13a77.PNG

This is what the PDF looks like:

5b899e759a740_PDF2.thumb.PNG.68c875bd257a3c0356e654f295df271e.PNG PDF.thumb.PNG.8c111685fd348f55f3537ba60d8e2ce4.PNG

Has anyone else had issues like this? Is there something I am doing wrong?

Here are the plans for anyone who has a moment.

https://friesen.syncedtool.com/shares/folder/432502762ef40e/ 

It appears to be something to do with the Full STD View Used in Layout , if I change the View to Vector > no Colour in the Plan it doesn't happen....

It is make huge PDF's though for some reason , the single sheet 7 in STD View was 15mb and in Vector View 10mb which is huge for 1 page..... especially when it looks like your Layout has 50 Pages...

Capture.thumb.JPG.02758980133f2552503ef620e540de35.JPG

4 minutes ago, NevinF said:

Thanks. I haven't tried another pdf writer yet. Possibly that will fix the problem. I hadn't noticed that it looks like the problem is only in standard view. Good point.

Thank you!

Bullzip did not fix the Issue , so I tried Vector View...

I do however Recommend BullZip PDF Printer.

Might be one for Tech Support to Look at so it gets Fixed....

M.

I've run into a similar issue with live views (update on demand) sent to layout shifting when printing to pdf. I submitted it as a bug to tech support not too long ago. In my case, I also had text in layout pointing to certain items in the 3D views, but it wasn't the text or lines that were shifting, it was the live view. Sometimes so much so that it cut off a portion of the view. And I've also encountered unusually large files when printing to pdf in some of these cases.

5b89c7687382d_LiveViewShifting-Example1.thumb.png.1669fe6cf923783e36cb16ff2b652a37.png5b89c761f14bc_LiveViewShifting-Example2.thumb.png.1c8238cc57f718abaeac887b54225caf.png5b89c75aa3697_LiveViewShifting-Example3.thumb.png.e46344e4c452aec1f3774ea96744a6b3.png

Here's one I had just this week. The image shifts about 0.7" in both x and y directions when printing to pdf (using the 'Chief Architect Save as PDF' printer). Plus, when printing just this page (letter size) @ 300 DPI, I get a file size of 9.1MB!!! 

5b89cdd1851d6_LiveViewShifting-Example4-3.thumb.png.380df04d5b95fce7e165bd23b769841f.png5b89cdcb9c762_LiveViewShifting-Example4-4.thumb.png.55194451a8c8c4ba44dc77dc03386766.png

• Upvote 1

Nice work Levis and thanks for taking the time to document that and send it in. Hopefully Nevin will be able to send his case in so it will get fixed and we can all produce nice illustrations like you have struggled to achieve.

12 hours ago, Ridge_Runner said:

Nice presentation style, Levis. I wish we could print affordable color prints like that here - cost is off the charts.

These are just the preliminary plans I send to my clients in pdf format. I don't get these printed. They are set up on letter size paper though so that if my clients want to print them, they can do so with their own home printer.

I get what you're saying about plotting in color though. The costs are ridiculous around here too. I ended up buying my own plotter about 5 years ago for that very reason, since I also like to incorporate color in my con docs. It didn't take long to pay for itself with what the local printing companies were charging me.

Nice models, Levis, and your way of showing text on the 3d model looks great. Thanks for sharing.  I'm assuming the text is placed directly on the layout in this case? For some reason when I work in the layout it is extremely slow and frustrating. Maybe my layout is bogged down unnecessarily with PDF's or something. 

If your problem is the model shifting under the lines/text that are on the layout, that is a bit different that what's happening to my elevations. What's weird is that my story pole (not using auto story pole) dimensions are shifting up more on the bottom than at the top. The top is still almost in the correct position aligned with the ridge, but the bottom is almost 2' high.

On 2018-09-01 at 10:34 AM, NevinF said:

Nice models, Levis, and your way of showing text on the 3d model looks great. Thanks for sharing.  I'm assuming the text is placed directly on the layout in this case? For some reason when I work in the layout it is extremely slow and frustrating. Maybe my layout is bogged down unnecessarily with PDF's or something. 

If your problem is the model shifting under the lines/text that are on the layout, that is a bit different that what's happening to my elevations. What's weird is that my story pole (not using auto story pole) dimensions are shifting up more on the bottom than at the top. The top is still almost in the correct position aligned with the ridge, but the bottom is almost 2' high.

Yes, my text is placed directly in layout.

I downloaded your file to see, and when I print that page to pdf, it's not just the story pole dimensions that are off... the whole elevation seems to distort (look at the roof slope indicators and where some of the arrows are pointing). It's not bad near the main ridge, but it seems to distort more as it gets lower. My printed pdf looks different than yours though, so I don't know if the problem is worse on the Mac version than the Windows version?

5b8d733e99cc5_NevinFLayoutProblem.thumb.png.97def825f36d982f999061abab61f9c2.png

I see that you're using live views (as am I), so I think that's the source of the problem. There's a bug in there somewhere! Send it in to tech support if you haven't already. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Has this issue ever been solved?  I am having this exact same issue with dimension lines and labels when printing to .PDF with live views on the layout page.  The strange thing is I have multiple live views on the same layout page from the same plan file and some are fine and others are not.   I have tried multiple .pdf printing programs but it doesn't seem to make a difference.  I tried printing at 144dpi and that fixed one of the live views but not the others.

It's still intermittent from what I can see. The 144 helps. Maybe check to see if the ones that are fixed have the 'live view - update always' option checked. The other thing - make sure you zoom into the page quite a bit before hitting the print/export button - this will make sure that when your views render they do it with nice fine linework instead of ugly fat lines.

But to answer your question - I haven't seen an official fix happen.

Thanks kylejmarsh for your response.  I actually figured out my problem yesterday.  I was playing with the elevation view settings and I checkmarked the "Clip to Sides" under Options. The elevation view then clipped narrower than the view I was showing in the layout page. I went to the plan view and pulled out that particular elevation view's lines to go further out so that the entire view on the layout page would show in the "clipped" elevation view. And drumroll...when I printed, no shifting!  I don't think this will solve your issue though since your shifting seems to be up and down rather than left and right.