Post And Beam Construction

HumbleChief

Never tried this before but seems like it might be an easier method other than manually placing posts and beams? One question arose though, Is there a way to place the beginning or end of framing in a specific location? The framing doesn't seem to want evenly space itself across a wall and was curious why?  Anyway hope this helps someone in some way...

POST AND BEAM WALLS.plan

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, solver said:

Framing Reference Markers

Framing Reference Markers are reference markers that specify the starting point for the layout of automatically-produced framing.

Ah, so nice when the smart guys chime in...new there was something but couldn't bring it up - THANKS Eric!

10 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Ah, so nice when the smart guys chime in...new there was something but couldn't bring it up - THANKS Eric!

You can also use them for the Roof Framing eg set out from center etc

Personally, I think it's easier to use a "Post to Beam" railing wall without a top or bottom rail.  The post (newel) spacing is automatically adjusted and you can set both the newel size and the beam size.  That way, you don't have to mess with the spacing of the "Studs".

2 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Personally, I think it's easier to use a "Post to Beam" railing wall without a top or bottom rail.  The post (newel) spacing is automatically adjusted and you can set both the newel size and the beam size.  That way, you don't have to mess with the spacing of the "Studs".

Happy to help...

6 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Anyway hope this helps someone in some way...

Yup.  Thanks Larry.  The auto cross boxes make the extra setup worthwhile and make a more professional looking drawing. 

I was thinking about this method when the other thread was posted but did not have the time to test it.

3 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Yup.  Thanks Larry.  The auto cross boxes make the extra setup worthwhile and make a more professional looking drawing. 

I was thinking about this method when the other thread was posted but did not have the time to test it.

Chop, didn't use auto cross boxes, those are the framing members shown in 'framing, wall' Layer. There's no individual posts or beams, all done with the wall definition and materials.

Yes that is what I meant the cross boxes that come with the enlarged studs.  I just call them auto as opposed to if you have to resort to a psolid to represent a framing member that does not have a cross box.  Very helpful if there are thousands of them.

36 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Yes that is what I meant the cross boxes that come with the enlarged studs.  I just call them auto as opposed to if you have to resort to a psolid to represent a framing member that does not have a cross box.  Very helpful if there are thousands of them.

Cool, of course you could always use a 'post' with cross box too no?

Just now, HumbleChief said:

Cool, of course you could always use a 'post' with cross box too no?

Sure but then you would need to set the height and keep track of them all individually.  I like your method better.  I was also thinking of another situation that posts will not do.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/31/2018 at 6:14 PM, Joe_Carrick said:

How do you change the beam size?

22 minutes ago, Rpadge said:

Good gosh, thank you, I have been looking for that

Years ago - maybe X5 or X6 - we couldn't specify the Beam size. 

I lobbied for this for a long time and we got it.  I've been using this capability for so long that I can't remember what version of Chief it appeared in.