Anyone Use TJI's For Ceiling Joists?

HumbleChief

8 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

What is your span and loading.  I can run it thru Strucalc.

Thanks Joe but really only need a simple span table that I can refer to. Span is 20 ft but I think as soon as I add any kind of calc I suspect I'll need to justify the load/span as you suggest.  Just can't find a TJI span table for ceiling joists. San Diego County span tables show 2 x 8's will work but we'd like to use TJI's without having to calc the span. Funny I've never run in to this before..Thanks again

2 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I just googled "tji ceiling joists" ;)

Well you know how that goes when someone else googles what you googled all morning - piece of cake. It's like having the wife finding the tool you misplaced, even when it's right in front of your face...but thanks again...

2 hours ago, JJohnson said:

A good thing about using truss joists rather than solid lumber is that you

may cut very large holes through the web, mid span, which allows running

ducting etc.

The not so good thing is that they cost a whole lot more around here than 2x10's.  I uesd to design homes with TJI's all the time, but that was in northern BC where there was a lot of oil money and big homes.  Now on Vancouver Island I'm dealing with much more limited budgets and smaller homes, and 2x10's are just the standard go-to.

Squeezing the ceiling joists into the space at the birds mouth can be tricky too. If you cut away too much off the top of the TJI because your roof rafters are smaller than the ceiling joists, you need to reinforce it with squash blocks nailed to the web. Make sure you check your section/detail at that connection.