Cad detail blocks hard to find

Evolution

Sorry folks, I know you probably think I don't try to help myself....!?!?! well for a fact I came in this morning at 4AM so I could have time to search the VId's and KB as I am trying to wrap up this first project for code review and so far wasted 2 hours of precious time and am a stale-mate!  I've actually watched three vids (about 1 hr) of Cad to view, adding detail to view etc., etc., and read through and attempted to follow the KB for same.  I've managed to do a cross section, convert it to CAD detail, and now trying to add individual details, elementary stuff to you guys I know, but I've now got to put this on hold until after hours so I can work on my bid packages for my School project I've got to get out for bids...…..frustrating when I'm sure if I ever master (is that possible?) the minute details like this?  Following the KB doesn't always work, for most part they apply to other versions (I think) for when I try to following word for word, most of the items it references aren't searchable in the Library, as I've tried for the past 45 mins to find Cad Block>Footings and Slabs> etc and the error message pops up I'm asking too much information...….I'll stop there but if there is a short cut you can advise I WILL BE FOREVER GREATFUL!

CAD HELP FILE.PNG

CAD BLOCK MNGMT.PNG

ADD DETAIL TO VIEW.PNG

NO EASY WAY TO FIND WHAT I NEED.PNG

I know I keep saying it but I feel your frustration as I went through the same things albeit many years ago. Trying to understand the essence of your post it seems like you need a strategy to detail your sections by searching through Chief's library to find something you can use. I personally have never found a ready made detail I could use and have, after 20 years of Chief, created a plan file with tons of details that still seem to need customizing for each new job so in that regard there really isn't any shortcuts that I know of for creating details. Chief does have a custom library of CAD details you can download from their catalog site but again I've never found anything I can use but maybe you will.

The only way I know of to get details that work is create them yourself, yes, one at a time, save them for the future and modify as needed.

Video might help.

Good luck.

Quick EDIT: I've also found that I draw very few details on my more complex plans, leaving all of that to my structural engineer. Don't know if that will work for you or not but it's a thought and gets one more task off your desk.

• Upvote 2

Bob,

All of this is pretty much basic CAD drafting.  Chief does provide the ability to:

• Create Framing of Walls, Floors, Ceilings, Roofs, etc.
  • Create Cross Section Views
  • Auto Detail those with fill, etc.
  • Convert all or a portion of those views to CAD Details (View to CAD)

It also provides some basic details in the "Libraries" but as Larry said, they are almost never exactly what you want or need.  While you can edit them, it's usually just as easy to use some of the components to build your own details - or add to / modify the result of "View to CAD.  

Chief is never going to do everything automatically.  It looks like you've been using Chief for a long time.  I'm a little surprised you don't more familiarity with the capabilities and limitations.  The videos in the KB are basic & intended to show the general proceedure.  Trying to follow them exactly will only work in a very few cases.

• Upvote 1

One of the first things I ever did when I first started using Chief was draw details. My brother ran the field work and I did the drawings and contract work and I would copy details from plans we had worked on by other architects because I had no idea what I was doing. I spent hours drawings details. Looking back it seems rather silly but I learned all about Chief's CAD tools and how they worked, how to copy and paste from one detail to another and gradually I built up a usable library (plan) of details that I STILL have to change with almost every job as crazy as that sounds.

Another strategy that involves a structural engineer is to have them do the details for your plan and if you like one that might apply in the future, recreate it in Chief and save it for the future. And of course don't steal copyrighted stuff etc. etc. but recreating a 'shear transfer detail at eave' shouldn't land you in any hot water and you'll have a detail for future use. So again no short cuts I'm afraid....

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Bob,

All of this is pretty much basic CAD drafting.  Chief does provide the ability to:

• Create Framing of Walls, Floors, Ceilings, Roofs, etc.
  • Create Cross Section Views
  • Auto Detail those with fill, etc.
  • Convert all or a portion of those views to CAD Details (View to CAD)

It also provides some basic details in the "Libraries" but as Larry said, they are almost never exactly what you want or need.  While you can edit them, it's usually just as easy to use some of the components to build your own details - or add to / modify the result of "View to CAD.  

Chief is never going to do everything automatically.  It looks like you've been using Chief for a long time.  I'm a little surprised you don't more familiarity with the capabilities and limitations.  The videos in the KB are basic & intended to show the general proceedure.  Trying to follow them exactly will only work in a very few cases.

Up until this year, I haven't used it everyday as my responsibilities had taken a different direction but now, the Co., wants to get more into design build. I wish I had time to use it more.  And yes YOU'RE correct, I should have more familiarity with the workings, but in my case (no excuse) the majority of my time has to be devoted to managing projects, bidding, writing bid packages, vetting contracts etc., though I wish I could spend more of the 60-70 hour week using CA more! BUT, you are great to keep providing your insight and help!!!

Thanks!

23 minutes ago, StephenGreene said:

not sure if this is what you want but try typing in "footings" (instead of "footings and slabs") in the search box.

Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 8.43.33 AM.png

Stephen I will def check this out ASAP, later! Send me a PM with your general Location in Arkansas. I live in Marion.

thanks for jumping in.

2 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

One of the first things I ever did when I first started using Chief was draw details. My brother ran the field work and I did the drawings and contract work and I would copy details from plans we had worked on by other architects because I had no idea what I was doing. I spent hours drawings details. Looking back it seems rather silly but I learned all about Chief's CAD tools and how they worked, how to copy and paste from one detail to another and gradually I built up a usable library (plan) of details that I STILL have to change with almost every job as crazy as that sounds.

Another strategy that involve a structural engineer is to have them do the details for your plan and if you like one that might apply in the future, recreate it Chief and save it for the future. And of course don't steal copyright stuff etc. etc. but recreating a 'shear transfer detail at eave' shouldn't land you in any hot water and you'll have a detail for future use. So again no short cuts I'm afraid....

Larry, thanks for the Vid.  I understand the BASICS, in fact I started years ago (with other software) creating a "can" if you will of details, but they're PDF and like Chief they all would require modification to work in this situation.  IF I can make the transition to using my CA software (the reason I keep paying the CSA fee every year) and I intend to as time permits, I too will develop a library of details.  

Thanks again!

If you do that search you will find 'components' for creating your own details. Have no idea how that might help you with your question but it still seems like you are looking for short cuts and easy fixes. I TOTALLY understand your dilemma but if you're going to use Chief, as you've discovered, there's no easy way out.

Best of luck.

Let me please add one more thing. DO NOT hesitate to post questions and problems here, even though they may seem basic. There many who understand how difficult the Chief paradigm can be and are more than happy to help - even with basic stuff. And some of us who are only capable of helping with basic stuff :D

15 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Let me please add one more thing. DO NOT hesitate to post questions and problems here, even though they may seem basic. There many who understand how difficult the Chief paradigm can be and are more than happy to help - even with basic stuff. And some of us who are only capable of helping with basic stuff :D

Thanks Larry!   I REALLY do, though it may seem not, try to solve my issues especially when I'm not UNDER THE GUN!  In fact, my wife says I work 25 / 8days a week!

1 hour ago, HumbleChief said:

Nice...

Thanks Larry.  I REALLY need to get a handle on Layer / Anno sets and do a better job of setting them up (correctly) so I can make the best use of them. I set the Videos in my favorites to watch.

Didn't seem to be as hard in Auto-Cad (but then that's been YEARS ago and I'm sure I've forgotten more than I learned there too). I DO know the purpose, and def want to make the best use of the tools! Time to learn is still at a premium!!?!?

From much earlier interactions with the company and early on in the Anno Set decision making process there was an internal debate about the complexity of Anno Sets and where that should stop and start. The decision was made to add as many options, and complexity, to the feature as possible. Of course that's both good and bad. Good in that they are very powerful, as was the intent, and not so good as you need to really dig in and understand them to make them work on a day to day basis. The other good thing is once you get yours set up they are good forever and only need occasional tweaking. And yeah the time needed to learn them hasn't changed and can be, as you say, at a premium.